Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Current Mix of Used Aircraft  (Read 820 times)

Offline JJP

• Members
Current Mix of Used Aircraft
« on: August 27, 2013, 02:14:18 PM »
I'm thinking about joining this scenario, but I'm curious about the Used Aircraft market.  What types of jets are available in the 70+ passenger types.  I would be looking primarily for 800 nm - 1500 nm range aircraft.  I'm just curious.

What are your other thoughts on the viablity of starting up in this game world right now (my most likely choice would be starting in the U.S.)?

Thanks!

Offline Kadachiman

• Members
Re: Current Mix of Used Aircraft
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 02:55:11 PM »
There is only 1 jet available on the used market that suits your stated criteria...BAC111 475
It is always a good time to join a game as the only other option is to wait for months for the next game :-)
Fuel prices have gone up and it appears that many airlines are going down.

Offline Boot

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 03:13:31 PM »
There are 8 Convair 880-s available, lots of Comets

Offline Kadachiman

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 03:34:22 PM »
oops  sorry as it looks like I used the wrong search criteria.

Offline Teadaze

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 03:54:47 PM »
it will be a while for bac 111 to hit the market cheap... I would look at caravelle or comet.

Offline JJP

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 06:25:00 PM »
Excellent.  Thanks, guys.  I thought it was a bit early to have BACs hit the used market. 

What do airlines typically use to start out in this era?

Offline Jimbo2012

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 09:59:35 PM »
There are likely to be hundreds of Caravelles coming onto the market in a couple of years, if not sooner. Fuel is moving upwards and those airlines that are not running well might need to fasten their seatbelts and get their trays in the upright position.

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 07:18:02 AM »
There are quite a few 707s available at decent prices (less than value) - even some of the 320B model.  Also some of the newer DC-8s (-52 and -53)Not necessarily the best way to start a new game but it COULD work - if you find somewhere with good international demand.  There are quite a few Starliners and this might be a better way to go.

If you can get the money together, the slots for new 1-11s are hardly swamped - some are available pretty much immediately.  There are also free DC9 slots from just after it gets certified next November.

Offline JJP

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 11:57:36 AM »
Excellent, Knobby. Thanks!  I really appreciate the insight.   :)

(Yup, I'm still lurking)

squaregatescrub

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 01:04:58 PM »
707?  I don't think it's a good idea to grab those gas guzzlers during this period in the game.  :laugh:

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 01:10:07 PM »
The problem with the 707's and DC8's at this point is that there are very few airports with enough demand to take a dozen or two of them, thus, everyone is dumping them...

squaregatescrub

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 02:02:55 PM »
Yeah.  It's the Jet Age but right now, I think we're better off using medium props till we hit the mid 70s?

Opinions? 

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 02:42:55 PM »
Depends on the airport. Bristols/starliners are decent, thanks to great range, not much fuel, makes them viable for much narrower LH routes than the 707/DC8. DC-6s are still decent, and available in bulk. Turboprops like the F27, NAMC, etc work very well if your airport isn't too isolated. The smaller, thirstier jets can still work ok, but are pretty risky for an airline starting out.

It should be pretty easy to start now. Easy to get good used planes. Empty(ish) production lines for some good models, including probably the best turboprop currently available. There are plenty of airports with space available, and plenty more with extremely fragile competition, one new airline running all turboprops and expanding to 20-30 planes could easily be enough to BK some 100+, 150+ plane airlines.

Offline JJP

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 01:18:32 PM »
So, I decided to take the plunge, but holy smokes, no one told me how sturated the entire world is!  I came in with the expectation that I would start at a smallish airport, but even most of them had at least 1 player.  I was hard pressed to find an open airport that supported a good number of routes with a decent amount of demand (60 - 100 passengers) for this time period that wasn't already hogged.

When I did find such an airport, all of the possible routes were completely overrun by all the big, established airlines at the destinations.  So, even if I started at a decent airport that no one is at, nearly every possible route had heavy competition.  It took me a looong time (spent 2 hours just figuring where to start! [usually it takes me 5 minutes]) to find one that was ok.

Having said that, back on topic, I decided to go with used DC-7 initially because of its grand range (which I needed for the airport I started at) and its low lease cost.  Having surveyed the new jetliner landscape, I think I will be going with Sud Aviation's beautiful Caravelle.   It won't serve me on my longest routes, but it will take care of most of my needs.  It will have lower operating costs, go faster, and have shorter turn-around than my DC-7s.  All of that for around the same price, and don't have to wait in line!!

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 01:27:23 PM »
So, I decided to take the plunge, but holy smokes, no one told me how sturated the entire world is!  I came in with the expectation that I would start at a smallish airport, but even most of them had at least 1 player.  I was hard pressed to find an open airport that supported a good number of routes with a decent amount of demand (60 - 100 passengers) for this time period that wasn't already hogged.

When I did find such an airport, all of the possible routes were completely overrun by all the big, established airlines at the destinations.  So, even if I started at a decent airport that no one is at, nearly every possible route had heavy competition.  It took me a looong time (spent 2 hours just figuring where to start! [usually it takes me 5 minutes]) to find one that was ok.

Pick a bigger airport, don't worry so much about competition. There are a lot of airports that are far better than ok as places to start.  ;)

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 01:45:13 PM »
There are a couple larger airports with players that are about to fold. Consider starting there, worked for me. I started late and now I own my station. Pushed all the others out.

Offline JJP

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 03:26:55 PM »
Pick a bigger airport, don't worry so much about competition.

Why wouldn't I worry about competition?  I've been there before: having the established airline drown your new routes with over-capacity and under-sell you on ticket price.  That's not a fun place to be.  But, any airport suggestions would be welcome (though I have already started an airline, I suppose I could start over).

Offline JJP

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 03:27:37 PM »
There are a couple larger airports with players that are about to fold. Consider starting there, worked for me. I started late and now I own my station. Pushed all the others out.

How do you now if an airline is about to fold??  

Again, any suggestions are welcome (maybe you can PM me?).   ;D

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.