Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Fleet commonality problem - Long game format  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Mr.HP

• Members
Re: Fleet commonality problem - Long game format
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 12:16:52 PM »
Other than 4th fleet penalty, another feasible cap is the skyrocket slot cost when airline owns a big number of them already

I'm paying 12M per set, just to schedule an A319 flying to 2000 nm 90 pax demand routes. It takes a long time for the plane to get the investment back. But it is still doable. Imagine if slot price get to 9 figures  :o

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 04:15:30 PM »
Other than 4th fleet penalty, another feasible cap is the skyrocket slot cost when airline owns a big number of them already

I'm paying 12M per set, just to schedule an A319 flying to 2000 nm 90 pax demand routes. It takes a long time for the plane to get the investment back. But it is still doable. Imagine if slot price get to 9 figures  :o

While I agree with you, there also needs to be a fixed cost that is paid every week/month as an airline only pays those costs once.  Perhaps a slot maintenance fee?i

tm07x

• Former member
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 04:52:03 PM »
Why not just do a slot order system? You request slots at the airport you want to fly in to and you get priority.
You might have to wait a while to be able to schedule a flight there, but you'd still get a slot.

Maybe at the cost of a bigger airline not getting his or hers at a slower rate or even not getting them if they exceed X amount of slot numbers.

With the lack of certain "game options" I personally feel the game lacks a scenario dynamic. No Cargo and no LLC option. Could be different rules for each category and you would have to do your best to comply with your rules. Say if you opt to play as an LLC, you can run HD seating further, but you might be restricted to 1 fleet type, with one transition fleet.

But really, anything to allow for more strategies and different ways of competing.

Offline Mr.HP

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 02:44:21 AM »
While I agree with you, there also needs to be a fixed cost that is paid every week/month as an airline only pays those costs once.  Perhaps a slot maintenance fee?i
How do you propose the fee to be? Getting higher as the airport grows, like pax fee right now?

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2013, 12:45:43 PM »
How do you propose the fee to be? Getting higher as the airport grows, like pax fee right now?

I think it should be similar to a luxury tax.  If you have more than 40/50/60/70% of the total slots at your base that is a level 5/4/3/2 airport, then you pay $1 million/slot/year paid on a weekly basis.  That is approx $20k/week/slot.  So if you are at the threshold and add an aircraft flying 20 routes/week (3 routes/day - 1 route for A-check) then the net cost would be $400k/wk luxury tax for those slots, which means you better be flying a big jet because that is a big fixed cost to overcome.

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2013, 04:23:42 PM »
What a legendary bulls*** idea.

Long haul flying is the most profitable, but it takes few slots to do. Short haul flying is a lot less profitable but takes a ton of slots.
What you are proposing is, once I get above a threshold of short haul flying I am doing I will get taxed so ridiculously that I will have to cut back (400k per week in slot fees would kill half my owned A320s in CDG (MT8), probably 90% if I had to pay leasing fees), while I could without any problem do all the long haul flying I wanted?
Sorry, but this idea is absolutely ill thought out and downright crap.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:31:12 PM by saftfrucht »

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2013, 05:17:21 PM »
What a legendary bulls*** idea.

Long haul flying is the most profitable, but it takes few slots to do. Short haul flying is a lot less profitable but takes a ton of slots.
What you are proposing is, once I get above a threshold of short haul flying I am doing I will get taxed so ridiculously that I will have to cut back (400k per week in slot fees would kill half my owned A320s in CDG (MT8), probably 90% if I had to pay leasing fees), while I could without any problem do all the long haul flying I wanted?
Sorry, but this idea is absolutely ill thought out and downright crap.

Not true--short haul is more profitable.  The only reason long haul *may* have an edge over short haul is because of the F/C demand.  If you don't believe me, look at the price difference between flying 500nm and 1000nm.  Better yet, if short haul isn't more profitable, why do all the short haul airlines in Japan etc. make bank while those who fly the 5000+nm routes bleed out and BK once fuel goes up?

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 05:47:03 PM »
True, but idea contradicts just implemented cost reductions for small material to make it worthwile flying.

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 06:38:37 PM »
True, but idea contradicts just implemented cost reductions for small material to make it worthwile flying.

Only if they reach a level where they have a very large majority of slots at an airport--see original post on when it kicks in at different size base airports.

Offline Mr.HP

• Members
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 01:47:28 AM »
An absolute threshold at which the difference is too big is no good. Why not make it like slots purchase fee? Gradually increase as you have more of them. So mega airlines still grow but at slower pace 

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 06:58:34 AM »
Not true--short haul is more profitable.

No. There is a reason why it's smart to start a game flying long haul.

The only reason long haul *may* have an edge over short haul is because of the F/C demand. 

So? The demand is there, what a silly notion. The reason WHY long haul is more profitable is irrelevant to the case.

If you don't believe me, look at the price difference between flying 500nm and 1000nm. 

1000nm is hardly long haul. Anyhow, one of the reasons long haul is more profitable is less competition and the ability to hike up prices far beyond default.

Better yet, if short haul isn't more profitable, why do all the short haul airlines in Japan etc. make bank while those who fly the 5000+nm routes bleed out and BK once fuel goes up?

Because they suck. There was (is) not a single well run long haul airline in Japan in this running MT. And the only working short haul carrier is hardly 'making bank' compared to all the EU and US carriers focusing on long haul.
PacAir in JNB is exclusively doing long haul and is #3 in CV. Does a bell ring there? By the way, the last MT 7 an airline run from Japan won the CV chart, and it was not a pure short hauler but a mix.

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 11:42:03 AM »
I'm not in MT so I can't talk intelligently about what's going on in that game world right now.  I'm not going to argue with you because you're clearly not interested in having an intelligent conversation about it and are just going to resort to calling other peoples ideas b*lls***, saying other people suck, and how silly/stupid things are.  As I mentioned in another thread, I'm sick and tired of the trolling on the AWS forum.

Offline Mr.HP

• Members
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 02:21:07 PM »
Take it easy guys, why can't we discuss gently?

PacAir in JNB is exclusively doing long haul and is #3 in CV. Does a bell ring there?

That's not a very good example there. Where else can one fly from JNB but LH? Plus he didn't have much competition from the start, and easily controlled the airport from year 1 or so

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2013, 03:12:22 PM »
That's irrelevant, look at how there is only one airline in the top CV range that doesn't run extensive long haul ops.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.