Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Why so many DC-6s?  (Read 791 times)

Offline knobbygb

• Members
Why so many DC-6s?
« on: July 12, 2013, 02:49:16 PM »
I've always kind of avoided the DC-6 in the past because they're so popular and it's usually very difficult to snag one.  I've had no trouble in this game so far and I just realised looking at 'Global Statistics' that there were 8,019 produced! So far.  Why so many?  In real life there were only ever 704 DC-6's built.  Aren't the numbers in the game (for historic aircraft at least) usually pretty well matched to the real life situation at game-start?  I realise that if a production line is left open then things can drift from reality (several thousand Caravelles and BAC 1-11's are usually built, for example). But 8,000 DC-6s at the START of the game?  It isn't usually like that is it? Has somebody added an extra zero by mistake?

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Why so many DC-6s?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 02:52:23 PM »
The numbers are based on real numbers but multiplied by the number of players and predicted model popularity to avoid used market being completely empty of anything useful.

Though that is a quite high number.. Have not seen such for any model in modern games.

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 02:59:02 PM »
Yep I know it isn't EXCACTLY the same as real life and I understand why.  But I still think you typed an extra zero by mistake  :P  I seem to remember around 1,000 in a previous game but I may be wrong. I just wonder if you will take them all away again!

Offline EsquireFlyer

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 03:22:59 PM »
The numbers are based on real numbers but multiplied by the number of players and predicted model popularity to avoid used market being completely empty of anything useful.

Though that is a quite high number.. Have not seen such for any model in modern games.

Does the model account for game length and make more starting planes on that basis?

Offline mramelet

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 09:48:12 AM »
Yes, I was wondering the same.
In previous scenarios, they were quite difficult to grab, as they were popular.
Same thing goes for Convair 240, by they way, they used to be difficult to grab in the past, and you had to have a mixed fleet with Martin 2-0-2 and other exotic airplanes :-)

Offline ezzeqiel

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 03:47:54 PM »
well, apparently there was a massive tornado or something that blew away half of them... from over 7000 we have now 4000 (globally)...

maybe a hurricane ??

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 11:41:56 AM »
Nah, they're still there.  Currently:

In service:              3836
Sale and Storage:  4220
Scrapped:               5
New orders             41

Offline ezzeqiel

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 04:43:50 PM »

Online ArcherII

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 01:04:05 AM »
It amazes me that there're even new orders.

Online Teadaze

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 09:24:46 AM »
If you are opening route faster then plane can keep up.. why not?   :P

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.