Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Cancelled flights and flight delays  (Read 955 times)

Offline B7573

• Members
Cancelled flights and flight delays
« on: July 12, 2013, 07:44:06 AM »
I started this game since 2005 in game time. What i see is alot of delays and cancelled flights.
This is really bad for THE finance of THE company. For standard week THE numbers are 15 to 20 flights cancelled per week. This not real. In normal life i work for big airline and we do not even have 20 cancelled flights per week.
For example in real we turn around E190 in 35 min. With fleet of 22 of this aircraft we do this more than 60 times per day. THE complete punctuality per day is 98.9 percent. This means we have 0,5 flights per day cancelled and 1 flight per day with more than 1 hour delay. We Aldo have other type of aircrafts in THE fleet wherry we do THE Same. In this game i have Total fleet of 20 aircrafts and every 7 days alot cancelled flights. THE E190 in THE fleet is set AT 45 min turn around time. In real THE airlinefly's towards big city's in europe. In this game i do THE Same. I thinking this is strange. We are flying in 2009 game time since feb 2009 THE value of THE company had dropped down from + 7 m to -9 m with O load factor of 84 percent of all THE flights. This is also strange. All THE costs are getting higher and higher. And THE income is getting lower and lower.

Offline Richard

• Members
Re: Cancelled flights and flight delays
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 08:45:38 AM »
No mate, it is not strange. This is a game and don't compare it to the real world.

Delays and cancellations due to short turnarounds hits you. No matter what. Although it is not fully necessary to get 1% chance of delays, don't go to 8% or more chance. You will be hit by this and your CI will drop.

But looking at your 738 flights I see turnarounds of 50 minutes. That is too little if you want to prevent delays or cancellations.

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 09:39:26 AM »
Two things to note;

1) the turnaround system does not take into account the stage length yet here. We can turn A320 series in domestic airports (no refuelling/minimal cleaning) regularily at about 30-35 minutes but intl turnarounds with full service take longer and they have usually 55-65 minutes in between them. This is something that is planned for future in AWS.

2) second thing to note is that you should have also a good turnaround time at home base, this is something that people usually miss.

Offline TPMP

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 03:15:48 PM »

2) second thing to note is that you should have also a good turnaround time at home base, this is something that people usually miss.

Interesting. But how can you tell, seeing as it doesn't give a percentage when planning a home base turnaround?

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 04:20:54 PM »
Interesting. But how can you tell, seeing as it doesn't give a percentage when planning a home base turnaround?

You need the same lengh of time as you do at the remote airport.  It's not route length or airport or time of day dependant - it's always the same length required, for a given aircraft type.

Offline TPMP

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 05:13:20 PM »
You need the same lengh of time as you do at the remote airport.  It's not route length or airport or time of day dependant - it's always the same length required, for a given aircraft type.

Ah, apologies. I misunderstood what he was saying.

Offline tcrlaf

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 05:49:39 AM »
Two things to note;

1) the turnaround system does not take into account the stage length yet here. We can turn A320 series in domestic airports (no refuelling/minimal cleaning) regularily at about 30-35 minutes but intl turnarounds with full service take longer and they have usually 55-65 minutes in between them. This is something that is planned for future in AWS.

In real life, we can, and have, turned a 319 in 21 minutes, or a 717 in 16 minutes, but it depends on many factors all coming together.

Can the gate get all of the pax on and off, and do the security check quickly? (Full load at a Holiday, forget it.)
How big is the download, and do we have to sort on the ramp for connections?
Are the fuelers on-time?
Are we throwing bags, or stacking them?
Can the crew do without a starbucks run for this turn? Etc,etc,adn....
Will the crew be done with the checklist soon enough to beat the guy across the alley out?
Does the stew want a full cater?
Do the lavs need dumped?
How many 400lb. wheelchairs are we going to be wrestling?
Is the ramp/gate contract, or company?
(NOTE: A Company ramp is ALWAYS more motivated than a contract ramp!)

Hell, I even once turned a 767 (charter) with 400 bags off/400 on in 31 minutes, with a crew of 4 ramp and two gate, but I sure wouldn't want to try that every flight, every day. Sometimes, you just get lucky, and everything comes together. No kids wizzed on the seat bottoms, the sky is blue, and the load is only 10%. Most of the time, it doesn't, yet somehow, we still manage to get'em out on time.

I can double, or even triple up crews to do a quick turn, if I need to, but the minimum time is there for a REASON. And let's not even talk about working with a union ramp!

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.