Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Sale and Storage - Not for Sale only Storage?  (Read 579 times)

BD

• Former member
Sale and Storage - Not for Sale only Storage?
« on: July 06, 2013, 12:57:02 PM »
It is only the first week of JA, but is my assumption incorrect to expect that any used aircraft with significant numbers sitting in Sale and Storage status would be available in the used market?

So far there are a couple I have had my eye on (and blown several market calls in the first 24 hours on) but I see that there are zero In Service, suggesting that they never have been available for sale.

Not sure what to expect here.  ???

Offline ezzeqiel

• Members
Re: Sale and Storage - Not for Sale only Storage?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 01:03:51 PM »
The same happened in the last MT... A320 family was in storage but released a couple of weeks after start (if I remember correctly)...

Sami sayed it was because the fleet was too new to be in the used market...

I think it was to discourage the most popular model.

In JA, there's +7000 Douglas DC-6B  in storage but only 2 in service (none of it released on day one).. I guess it pursues the same reasons...

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 01:19:41 PM »
This is normal and fully intentional for game balance. The used market is not dumped all at once from storage, but released bit by bit depending on plane age etc.

waplane

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 01:46:06 PM »
Speaking of storage, has there been any thought given to adding a storage feature to the game for older aircraft? I have a feeling that the used market might get a bit full in this game.

BD

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 01:58:39 PM »
This is normal and fully intentional for game balance. The used market is not dumped all at once from storage, but released bit by bit depending on plane age etc.
Yes, understand that, but was surprised to see big numbers and nothing available /none In Service at the very start of the game. 

This leaves one quite unsure if they can wait and will see some the next game day (after the first 24 hours is up) or if they are set to only be released after a certain time has passed, etc...meanwhile, we have this market call mechanism that, while good for its purpose, becomes a wasted resource for the player who is unsure, but still needs to look for these aircraft "just in case" because one does not know which aircraft this will affect.

Perhaps veteran players know this just from experience.

Without knowing which specific aircraft this will affect at the start, not sure if a player any better off at the next game start knowing only this generality, until having played each scenario once or twice.

Offline ezzeqiel

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 02:15:27 PM »
This leaves one quite unsure if they can wait and will see some the next game day (after the first 24 hours is up) or if they are set to only be released after a certain time has passed, etc...

It's a bet... like the fuel prices... do you hedge or not ??... do you wait for a popular model to spawn in the market, or go with the less popular available ones... that's your personal strategy, and of course experience helps...

If you see, there's not aircraft of a type in service, and all in storage, then you'll know that plane won't appear no matter how many times you refresh... you just wait until you see some in service to start "searching" for it in the market thru refreshes...

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 03:01:17 PM »
I have a feeling that the used market might get a bit full in this game.

A bit off topic but yes, I agree.  I was just making a rough calculation and I reckon I personally will have around 1200 aircraft (mostly old junk) on the used market by the end.

BD

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 03:13:22 PM »
It's a bet... like the fuel prices... do you hedge or not ??... do you wait for a popular model to spawn in the market, or go with the less popular available ones... that's your personal strategy, and of course experience helps...

If you see, there's not aircraft of a type in service, and all in storage, then you'll know that plane won't appear no matter how many times you refresh... you just wait until you see some in service to start "searching" for it in the market thru refreshes...
I understand your point, but not quite the same I'm afraid.

Perhaps, as I mentioned, veteran players "know" this, but two issues:  1) it is not apparent to noobs for specific aircraft with such high numbers in Sale and Storage, as it defies natural intuition/logic whereas fuel price changes over the course of the game make intuitive sense and fit expectations;  2)  I'm talking specifically the first 24 hours, where fuel price changes are irrelevant as there is no immediate impact on the player options.

I am talking about unknown (and unknowable except maybe from experience) unknowns vs known unknowns, to paraphrase a famous quote.  Puts a noob at some disadvantage, probably uncritically, but one nonetheless.

UPDATE:  Moments after posting, I refresh market call, and several now available!  Nine game days later.  Perhaps this discussion will help future noobs wondering about it on their first day in new game.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 03:45:24 PM by BD »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.