Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Really? JA8 limited to just 220 people?  (Read 2126 times)

Offline Frederik

• Members
Re: Really? JA8 limited to just 220 people?
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 08:16:07 PM »
Would it be possible at all to have two parallel running JA scenarios so this could accommodate twice the number of players?
Or alternatively as North American Players were on the end of a short stick a quick North American challenge could keep the players happy.
If there is demand for gameplay surely supply could be adapted to match this?
Swiss quality all over the world

mrowz0r

• Former member
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 08:18:54 PM »
It is quite frustrating for those of us that were hoping to join this scenario from the beginning. I have only recently started playing and each game I had to join from half in or later, which was fine as I was learning. I was really looking forward to starting with everybody else and just got off work to find this closed (I started work before it opened). It's just bad timing for me obviously and I understand why the limit is there, but it is still very sad to have waited for this just for this to be the result. I am not asking for more slots to be opened or anything like that, just voicing my own frustration.

Offline RougeCanuck

• Members
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 08:22:32 PM »
Or set your alarm and get out of bed and sign up like the rest of us did! We all knew what time it would open, you seem to have a clear handle on the level of demand so you should have assumed it would fill up quickly.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 08:37:16 PM »
Also the starting time is always a balance between Asia, EU and US...

Since this was a daytime launch for Europe, evening for Asia and morning for US, the next one (dotm) will be afternoon for US, night for Europe, morning in Asia.

mar88

• Former member
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, 08:38:50 PM »
I realize 500 people wouldn't want to join Jet age 8, but waiting nearly 11 months for the small window of opportunity to join JA9 (my fav) from the beginning is frustrating. Your right there is definite pent up demand to join a scenario from the beginning. If a player goes to "Join Game Page" he's faced with 4 red X's. Only other option is a beginners scenario and a scenario 14 years running. If there are 250-300 survivable spots for JA8 then open 250-300 slots not 220.

I see your point. 11 Months is absurd for a new JA, maybe the next DoTM will be a long game starting in the 50s. Or maybe Sami will open a second JA with the normal length. I had been pushing for a trial run long game in a BW format because of potential problems and because everyone and their mom would want in, plus I gotta work on my 60 year strategy  ;D. I doubt a second long world JA would work in the latter years between two groups of players, but maybe a challenge world on a BW type game set in the JA time period? Or how about a JA era challenge?

As for timing, I am on the west coast and when I joined this morning the game was only half full.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2013, 08:48:53 PM »
Have to agree with OrlandoR. Reasonable or not, it is frustrating. I also agree the limit could easily be higher for day 1, I remember it being more like 250 in the past. The issue restricting feasible player numbers is more that medium-sized airports (or entire countries like NZ) aren't really viable when traffic is lower, ranges are shorter, and tech-stops are heavily penalised. But the bigger airports still support competition between ~6 airlines that normally turns into a couple of long-term successes.

But having a quick look around JA at the moment, the bigger airports have plenty of space for more players. LHR, AMS, HKG, ORY, IST all have just 3 airlines. Bangkok, Singapore, Toronto and Sydney only have 2. Beijing, Seoul & Cairo have just one each. Big airports in big countries that can support big airlines, like Manila in the Phillipines & Jakarta in Indonesia are completely empty. It's going to make things much easier for players in those airports, they now get to expand with minimal or no competition. If that's me, it makes things pretty boring.

It's more frustrating because this has turned out to be the first test of the very long game worlds, which is the thing that was going to get me back into playing AWS. But I've now missed the start, and while there might be slots open up in a week, there's no guarantee, and they'll likely be snapped up quickly. It might be a month before I manage to get one, by which time the game is 5+ years in. Can certainly still succeed at that point, but have to deal with limited airport choice, full order books, etc. Doable, but not as exciting as day 1 of a 64 year world.

Yeah, there are two other worlds I could join, but one is a more than halfway done MT, which doesn't interest me at all, and the other is BW, which I'm not really suitable for.

It's frustrating to see enough demand for another 50 spots on day one, enough airports available for another 50 players, but a game world that is closed to new entrants. It's more frustrating because I'm one of those who doesn't have a spot.

mar88

• Former member
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 09:07:52 PM »
If smaller aircraft were more viable, like 8 seaters and such, it would offer more opportunity in the game since there are several smaller aircraft during this time frame that would be fun to run. I play with 8 seaters in BW in 2005, but my aim is to try and run such an airline in JA time frame, the only problem is my test world and real play worlds are totally different eras. It would be nice to have a BW style long game with super short days, give some overflow room for JA and allow people to work on strategies for their type of airlines.

Firebird

• Former member
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 09:27:12 PM »
"or set your alarm and get out of bed and sign up like the rest of us did!" really! that's not the solution at all to balancing a supply/demand situation. If we had all tried to log in at the same "minute", as it were. there would still be players locked out. I'm providing input on the forum related to formation of new scenarios that correspond to meeting gaming demand. There may be a supply/demand situation if the answer is "set your alarm".

OskarKosznicki

• Former member
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 09:27:33 PM »
Seriously, I  was waiting 2 months till some world will end and open again, so I could eventually start to play the game for real, coming back from work and it's already full?!

Are You kidding me? Thank god I didn't bought any credits in advance...

Open another one straight away, ffs!

Firebird

• Former member
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2013, 09:41:13 PM »
Maybe it's possible to limit "beginner scenarios" to 1 vs 2. and having another non-beginner scenario available. The new beginner just available has 32 players out a possible whooping 375 players. Perhaps gaming platform resources should be redirected to another regular scenario instead of relatively low demand beginner scenarios.

Offline ezzeqiel

• Members
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2013, 09:44:05 PM »
Poeple are just p***ed off because they didn't get a spot...

This game has been always like this... one restart every several months... if you miss one, then you will have to wait several months to the next one... if you have a bad start, then the next one is months far away... that is VERY dissapointing to new players, whom usually need several restarts until making profits...

Actually, this is the BIG exception, since you ONLY have to wait two weeks to the next game, which is highly unusual...

Also, I've read several times sami posting that long worlds will start with fewer players... every post I read agreed with that... but now that some people missed a spot they moan about it...

now, talking about the subject... it's impossible to host all interested players in any game...

if the game would actually follow RL rules, and you could open routes from any airport to any airport (inside certains zones like USA, EUROPE, ETC), that could be partly solved, but it would have also a limit...

every airline simulator game in the web has players limits in each individual game...

Firebird

• Former member
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2013, 10:21:20 PM »
Yes, waiting two weeks for the next scenario isn't bad, but the discussion is on "Jet Age" scenario forum. The next fresh start "Jet Age" scenario is 11 months away, which is a long time (that's almost a YEAR by the way).

alathas

• Former member
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2013, 12:31:43 AM »
Hello,

I just got home from work and saw that I could not play the new scenario. I bought credits to play this new scenario not play a beginner world.

What am I supposed to do with my credits ? Play another beginner world that I quit a few days ago because I got bored ?

Firebird

• Former member
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2013, 12:41:18 AM »
Don't despair Jet Age fan, your credits won't expire and will still be considered "fresh" in 11.5 months. So, please check back in 11.5 months if you wish to enjoy a "fresh" slice of Jet Age 9 .

BD

• Former member
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2013, 01:28:32 AM »
As a noob, I read all this and it says to me that it is not that the JA model is flawed as much as there is significant demand for more of the same. 

The solution seems to be running additional worlds to satisfy the demand, given that the design as it stands (and perhaps requiring some major programming to change = expensive) cannot accommodate many more players than allotted (currently and traditionally) without throwing the game out of balance (if I understand the discussion correctly).

I read somewhere the concept of having these same various scenarios (JA, DOTM, etc), but at differing levels of difficulty.  The difficulty levels probably don't need to be discrete Beginner/Easy, Professional/Difficult, but could be a little more dynamically defined.  And, they could overlap to mitigate wait times between games. 

We might be better served focusing on and asking for this than on the number of new entrants allowed in a given game.

For instance, being a noob, I would have preferred a Beginner's World (or slightly higher) version of JA, but it seems that getting "submerged" in the "deep end" is our only option if we want to get into a full scenario, with different dynamics which help keep interest up.

Of course, Sami would know better how much demand there really might be from his records on previous games, drop-off rate, etc, to balance off the cost of setting up and maintaining.  Though I suspect it might take some trial and error over a while to calibrate scenarios, difficulty, overlap, etc.

alathas

• Former member
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2013, 01:42:08 AM »
I agree 100@ with BD.

Firebird

• Former member
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2013, 01:53:30 AM »
Spot on! The Jet Age Model isn't flawed as much as there is a demand for more of the same. Jet Age scenario's are my favorite and primary motivator that spurs me to buy more credits. It's crushing when your closed out so quickly and have to wait nearly a year for a fresh reboot.

Offline lazerr11

• Members
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2013, 02:24:39 AM »
I have played off and on since the BETA.  I may have missed this but, why can't there be JA9 now and not in 11 months if the demand is so high??

Lavo

• Former member
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2013, 04:54:01 AM »
I always found it suspenseful if I missed out on the initial intake. Sure - you're giving people a head start, but there will be BK's and withdrawals, and with such a limited amount of players, you're going to have plenty of room to move when you DO get in.

Last game I set my alarm from 1.45am so I could catch the opening. I was there the second it ticked over.... and still managed to be the 59th person signed up! Talk about "demand" :)

It's been asked before, but is there a reason we can't have parallel scenarios? JA9 (a) and JA9 (b), or similar? Is it just economics?

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2013, 07:50:20 AM »
Don't despair Jet Age fan, your credits won't expire and will still be considered "fresh" in 11.5 months. So, please check back in 11.5 months if you wish to enjoy a "fresh" slice of Jet Age 9 .

It seems that you have misunderstood this one. The next jet age scenario will NOT start in 11.5 months but much earlier. The long scenario, which this is, will evolve into dawn of the millennium and modern times as time goes on.

This has been explaned in the game news and also forums (see general forum for the recent thread by me for example).

Of course this isn't that helpful for today. But as as time goes on players will start to drop out and there will be open spots for sure.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 07:59:28 AM by sami »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.