Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Airport passenger demand  (Read 675 times)

Offline rob

• Members
[-] Airport passenger demand
« on: July 04, 2013, 01:58:58 PM »
On the route planning could you add the airports passenger demand bar that was in previous version
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 08:47:53 PM by sami »

BD

• Former member
Re: Airport passenger demand
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 03:48:01 PM »
I second this.  As a noob, it is rather informative on the relative size of the airport.  

Would also be nice to be able to filter on demand level ranges, similar to how nm is filterable, as when looking to develop a set of routes one needs to consider both range and demand.  Currently, one has excessive paging to compare routes with sufficient demand to accommodate an aircraft.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 08:47:50 PM »
The bar graph didn't have anything to do with the demand of that route, unlike many (including original poster if I understood correctly) seem to think. It was a metric of the airport size merely, and hence removed as it caused actually more confusion. And pending future changes it would be gone there anyway

Offline ArcherII

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 09:13:47 PM »
The bar graph didn't have anything to do with the demand of that route, unlike many (including original poster if I understood correctly) seem to think. It was a metric of the airport size merely, and hence removed as it caused actually more confusion. And pending future changes it would be gone there anyway

Yes, but it gave newcomers the notion of how big was the traffic at that airport (not the route demand, of course). For seasoned players, that bar is almost printed in memory, but was definitely useful when we all started.

BD

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 04:14:50 AM »
Yes, but it gave newcomers the notion of how big was the traffic at that airport (not the route demand, of course). For seasoned players, that bar is almost printed in memory, but was definitely useful when we all started.
Well put...Sami, you have to consider some of us noobs....unless you already have something in place, which you allude to as coming, not a good idea to take away.

Causing confusion?  I didn't find it confusing, but then again I did not get "scientific" about it.  As a visual queue it was particularly informative.  Now, all I see is a list of airports.  Once I do a range of airports, now I have to click each one to find if there is a demand fit for a route I may plan.

Look, you need to recognize that unless a player already have a database of ranges and demand, they will only be able to filter by range when researching a route for a particular airport, then will have to go into each airport detail to see if demand is sufficient.  By not providing the bar graph short cut visual, you are forcing everyone to drill down into each airport to determine demand  fit to aircraft capacity, when in fact many (most?) airports can be skipped over because they would be evidently too small (not always, but in 80% of the cases) - most easily detected by the bar graph.

You've taken away a short cut to determining optimized routes for anyone who has not already set up something outside of the game to track.  This affects noobs most of all.

Offline Mr.HP

• Members
Re: [-] Airport passenger demand
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 04:48:15 AM »
While there's no demand bar like previous version, the airports are still sorted by Large to Small demand. So, normally if you check an airport and see too low demand, then it's very likely that the remaining below airports have even less demand

BD

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 05:08:06 AM »
While there's no demand bar like previous version, the airports are still sorted by Large to Small demand. So, normally if you check an airport and see too low demand, then it's very likely that the remaining below airports have even less demand
Until you sort by range, then it is all messed up.  

So either you are manually (in your mind as you go through the list) filtering out the ranges, or if you sort by range, you must drill down into the airport details to determine demand.

Why sort by range?  Well, aircraft have range limits, so we need to know which airports are within those limits.  But not all airports within those limits have enough demand to support said aircraft.

Frankly, if one could filter by demand and range, that would not be a problem.  But as it sits today, much more cumbersome than before the UI change, unless you already are familiar with the airports by rote memory or have a database/spreadsheet already developed - definitely not noob friendly.

Couldn't say it much better than GlobalCEO's comments here:

http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,47816.msg266706.html#msg266706

UPDATE:  Must apologize, as I see, after joining a new game world and doing Route Planning with the new UI, that there is a filter box on the search for Airport Size.  This very much mitigates the problem I mentioned above.   However, you can only select one size at a time, and it would be helpful to be able to do a range (e.g. sizes = 4 to 5), depending on what one is looking for.

That said, I still do find the demand bar rather intuitive, even if it may be slightly "confusing" (I bet the ones who complained are all about the fact that the bar was not specific to that route pair, vs just an indicator of overall passenger demand across all routes - seems intuitive to me the latter, but that's just me as a noob).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 10:21:31 PM by BD »

Offline Fluclo

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 01:21:26 PM »
The bar graph didn't have anything to do with the demand of that route, unlike many (including original poster if I understood correctly) seem to think.
Would it therefore be possible to reintroduce the bar graph but have it based on demand of that route?

Offline PH1517

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 04:02:57 PM »
I second that too. Even though I am considered a seasoned player, I think that bar to be really helpful and saves tons of time when trying to find that perfect airport when scheduling. 

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.