Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Time to quit?  (Read 747 times)

Offline jacobsroom

• Members
Time to quit?
« on: June 25, 2013, 05:13:04 AM »
I've managed to stay alive since day 1 without bankrupting -- and up to this point have been doing pretty well.  But I'm wondering if it's time for me to call it quits.  Two extremely well-capitalized airlines (combined net worth of nearly $60 billion) have opened up secondary hubs in my base airport.  In comparison, my airline is valued at a measly $1.5 billion.  I have just 12 planes on order, whereas, between them, the other two airlines have well over 200 planes on order for their various hubs.

I'm having trouble seeing any way in which I can compete effectively moving forward.  Realistically, my competitors have sufficient resources to open all the routes that I currently serve (a process which has already started).  As such, there will be a limit to how long I can sustain the losses if my load factors decrease significantly.  Similarly, if I drop prices enough to try to retain market share, I doubt I'll be able to make enough money long-term to keep myself going.  (Obviously, it might be a different story if I had 15 or 20 times as much money as I do -- but that's not the case!).

So: should I just throw in the towel now and save my remaining credits for another game?  Any thoughts?

Offline Name_Omitted

• Members
Re: Time to quit?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 07:42:11 AM »
Are you still having fun with this game?

Offline mramelet

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 08:22:57 AM »
I've managed to stay alive since day 1 without bankrupting -- and up to this point have been doing pretty well.  But I'm wondering if it's time for me to call it quits.  Two extremely well-capitalized airlines (combined net worth of nearly $60 billion) have opened up secondary hubs in my base airport.  In comparison, my airline is valued at a measly $1.5 billion.  I have just 12 planes on order, whereas, between them, the other two airlines have well over 200 planes on order for their various hubs.

I'm having trouble seeing any way in which I can compete effectively moving forward.  Realistically, my competitors have sufficient resources to open all the routes that I currently serve (a process which has already started).  As such, there will be a limit to how long I can sustain the losses if my load factors decrease significantly.  Similarly, if I drop prices enough to try to retain market share, I doubt I'll be able to make enough money long-term to keep myself going.  (Obviously, it might be a different story if I had 15 or 20 times as much money as I do -- but that's not the case!).

So: should I just throw in the towel now and save my remaining credits for another game?  Any thoughts?
What about opening other bases yourself?
This is what I chose when I have been attacked. My new base covers the "loss" (or with low fuel so far, the less earrning) of my older base.
Best defence is attack :-)

Offline Mr.HP

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 12:44:12 PM »
Hi,

I'm one of the "invader", and I think it's too early for you to quit. Especially when you still have cash, ~600M I guess, plus 400M loan

You can open another base, like mramelet suggested, and move un/low profit A/C there. And you should do it fast, as both of us are still waiting for A/C to fill the base, and as the fuel is still low

A tip for you: I'm going to deploy B767-300ER and B777-200LR to fly routes 5000+ nm which haven't been fully served. So I guess our competition is not so hard for you to withstand for another year or two

HP

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.