Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Trying to figure out if I should throw in the towel  (Read 1899 times)

Offline jkwicinski

• Members
Trying to figure out if I should throw in the towel
« on: May 31, 2013, 08:54:27 PM »
So, I wake up this morning and realize an extremely large airline has set up a base in my home airport (FLL).

FLL is not particularly large, but there's enough traffic for me to slowly grow and have a real competition with the #1 traffic leader -- we both have airlines that are within the same size ballpark in terms of traffic and revenue generation.

But when you add an airline with 7BN in value to the mix, it seems inevitable that I'll get crowded out...there's just no way to compete.

Honestly, I'm not sure why he would move into FLL with every route currently overserved, except to play the long game of squeezing us out...and given his size, he can dump seats at low prices and wait for us to all die off.

Is there any hope of competing here, or should I just start over somewhere else?

Offline Monica

• Members
Re: Trying to figure out if I should throw in the towel
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 10:16:59 PM »
He probably will try to squeeze you out. But don't give up so quickly, that's what he's hoping for. You have good load factors.

Lavo

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 12:17:37 AM »
It's not Superior Express you need to look at. Have a look over your shoulder at Sonata!

Offline jkwicinski

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 01:10:41 AM »
Uh, Lavo, that's the point. Who the heck did you think I was talking about?  ;)

Honestly, it's not fun when somebody can show up and drop 1000 seats on every route all at once just to take over.

Lavo

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 06:32:10 AM »
Hahah - sorry mate - didn't read your post properly.  :-[

Yeah. That's not fun at all.

TreyH75

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 06:07:08 PM »
Don't give in just yet. I am based in MYNN and hes not the first "Big" airline to move in and "Try" to takeover. The last one ended up leaving the airport, so have faith. Im surprised he's allowed to throw so many 737 flights a day to MYNN. I throw like 3 dash 8s and get an oversupply warning haha

Offline Andre

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 07:21:19 PM »
Don't give in just yet. I am based in MYNN and hes not the first "Big" airline to move in and "Try" to takeover. The last one ended up leaving the airport, so have faith. Im surprised he's allowed to throw so many 737 flights a day to MYNN. I throw like 3 dash 8s and get an oversupply warning haha

He probably sets a max capacity on each flight, allowing him to have multiple daily routes and therefore gaining more pax.

Online Dasha

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 08:45:53 AM »
Well players doing things like that ruined the fun for me... just quit. You can't win. They got more money, more planes and don't care if they make a loss whereas you should care if you make a loss and therefor cannot compete on any of the routes they fly on.

So if you want my vote, throw the towel.
The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes, decide everything

Offline SAC

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 09:44:42 AM »
Well players doing things like that ruined the fun for me.

It absolutely amazes me that people expect a competition free and easy ride !  This is a multi-player business sim, and competition is part of the coarse.  Sami has also amended game mechanics to make life easier for small / new airlines.
...it's not over until I say it's over

Offline Karl

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 10:47:09 AM »
For the most part, I think that AirwaySim has found a nice balance between being a business simulation (serious, difficult competition) and a game (fun and entertainment); between being too difficult and too easy.

For me, however, the big challenge is trying to build a program that lets experienced players and new players feel challenged and satisfied in the same game environment.

Perhaps 750 is an unrealistic number of players.  The very number of participants means still competition for aircraft and slots - not to mention fuel price.

Perhaps if a new 750 player scenario is announced, maybe there could be a parallel scenario that has fewer participants and is not as demanding.  Players could choose to be in only one environment.  Perhaps the experienced players who need and want a challenge will self restrict to the more challenging scenario.

AirwaySim itself is a business.  It needs to keep all customers happy.  If disappointed players leave, everyone loses.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:49:47 AM by Karl »

Online Dasha

• Members
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 01:07:39 PM »
It absolutely amazes me that people expect a competition free and easy ride !  This is a multi-player business sim, and competition is part of the coarse.  Sami has also amended game mechanics to make life easier for small / new airlines.

There's competition and there's competition. A player just flooding the market with one type of plane without even seeing how much demand orso there really is, is not competition. But I'm not going to have this discussion again.
The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes, decide everything

Offline SAC

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 01:57:24 PM »
As long as airlines stay within limits set then they are doing nothing wrong.  The system allows for 200% supply.  If that is the issue then it is not airlines doing this that is at fault, it the game rules for allowing such over supply. 
...it's not over until I say it's over

Offline Karl

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 03:04:45 PM »
As long as airlines stay within limits set then they are doing nothing wrong.  

But this is the age old question:  just because the rules allow it, should it be done?

I hate to be pushed out of a market   :'(  , but I have found that as a small airline, if I am invaded by any airline bringing too many seats to a market, it is better for my bottom line and survival to downsize that city pair to a point that the demand is being met - or to withdraw from that market and find a market with better demand.  If the seats exceed demand, each airline may make money, but finding a less crowded market (if possible) will eventually produce better statistics and income.

DaIrsh12

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 08:32:04 PM »
I was the Superior Express in this equation in FLL. The Sonata incursion (as I'll call it); coupled with the massive fuel spike forced me to take some drastic measures; including leveraging every single dollar I could in loans to and add a hub and shift the business to a less competitive airport. I failed and had to declare bankruptcy. This is part of what would be reality in business.

Offline Karl

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 09:27:18 PM »
I was the Superior Express in this equation in FLL. The Sonata incursion (as I'll call it); coupled with the massive fuel spike forced me to take some drastic measures;

FLL was one of my attempts.  When I entered the market, there were a number of good routes available.  All of a sudden....

After only a year and a half in business, my seven MD-80 were no match.  Yet another bankruptcy (for me) ensued to attempt a restart someplace else.  I am now in my last attempt. 

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 09:41:34 AM »
FLL was one of my attempts.  When I entered the market, there were a number of good routes available.  All of a sudden....

After only a year and a half in business, my seven MD-80 were no match.  Yet another bankruptcy (for me) ensued to attempt a restart someplace else.  I am now in my last attempt. 

MT8 is, IMO, more challenging than any other game world.  You may want to try one of the easier game worlds.

Offline Karl

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 12:47:13 PM »
MT8 is, IMO, more challenging than any other game world.  You may want to try one of the easier game worlds.

I am also in Jet Age 7.

My third attempt at running an airline has made it to more than 15 years in business with more than 110 commuter to mid-range aircraft serving two hubs.

Even this scenario, however, was challenging.  Many players were not successful and quit. 

TreyH75

• Former member
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 09:45:51 PM »
It is kind of unrealistic though how the " Sonata Affair" happened.

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 06:42:43 AM »
I'm not in MT right now so I can't see the details but...  doesn't the 100 aircraft limit come into play?  He should NOT be able to over serve EVERY market with just 100 aircraft, even at somewhere "mid-size" like FLL. 

I have had people come to my hub to try to push me out and fail because of that reason.  I have also tried to dominate another airline's hub and ended up with just an equal-ish share - because of the 100 limit.

I do like the challenge when someone comes to my hub.  I love the game, but sometimes the added interest of having to fight for survival (rather than just quit) adds an extra edge to an otherwise predictable scenario.  Just my thought.

TreyH75

• Former member
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 03:50:13 PM »
What it looks like was done was basic major airline overtaking smaller regional types. All the routes that have high density to major airports he didn't add many flights. Now the smaller airports like KFLL to MYNN he has 9 737 flights a day. Basically its like picking on the little guy haha. ;)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.