Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] Placing aircraft in storage  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Andre

• Members
[-] Placing aircraft in storage
« on: April 28, 2013, 03:44:03 AM »
I would like an option to put an aircraft into storage - where it would not go through maintenance checks. You could pay a small fee to put it into storage, and a small fee to retrieve it for later use (I have no idea how much this costs in the real world, but maybe 1 - 2% of the in game aircraft value would be okay). The fee should cover the work getting the aircraft ready for service again. The way things work now, you can either sell an aircraft you don't use, or you can scrap it (if it's over 15 y/o). But there's no way to place it in the Mojave desert for storage.

I've experienced several times that I've put aircraft for sale just to wait until they turn 15 y/o to be able to scrap them. It would be great to be able to put aircraft into storage to "save" them for later use due to commonality costs or other fleet strategy plans. For example if you've ordered a bunch of aircraft which will be your 4th type, you can put them in storage until you've received the last one and can replace your old fleet type. Also, in the real world, aircraft are utilized in markets that are cyclical. As far as I understand there will be more random (and planned) events in future worlds which might render surplus capacity.

The point is to put the plane into a "status quo" mode where it stays in the same maintenance condition until you pay a fee to bring it out from storage to use it, sell it, or scrap it. Regular maintenance schedule should not be running like it would if you just keep the plane in your fleet and not use it. (Right now you can turn off automatic C and D checks, but that will affect the whole fleet).

I imagine it could be done pretty straight forward, for example by placing a link or a box to tick right next to the "Sell Aircraft" and "Scrap Aircraft" on the aircraft page. Basically, a version of the selling aircraft code might be used, just that the airliner is not put up for sale, but goes into the same "For Sale & In Storage" database.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 02:12:16 PM by sami »

Offline hmellouli

• Members
Re: Placing aircraft in storage
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 04:24:38 AM »
I like this, especially as i always have more aircraft than i need, but keep them as spares or when new slots finally show up. at some point i had 9 of out a fleet of 50 without routes, just waiting for slots.

brique

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 05:31:43 AM »
I like this an an option : however, you can sort of fudge a solution currently by max-ing the price, setting a maximum 6-month lease term then placing the aircraft on the market : that takes it out of the auto-check cycle and minimises your costs for it;  and, to be honest, if anyone then still leases it, take the extortionate fee and run to the bank smiling broadly. You''ll get the aircraft back after six months anyway, and to be 'realistic' ; placing an aircraft in storage, mothballing it : which usually involves a lot of work, such as draining fluids, sealing compartments against dust, etc, engine protection, and so on : then recovering it and putting it back in service would take just as long so would need a similar time penalty in-game.

Offline Andre

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 01:23:14 PM »
I like this an an option : however, you can sort of fudge a solution currently by max-ing the price, setting a maximum 6-month lease term then placing the aircraft on the market : that takes it out of the auto-check cycle and minimises your costs for it;  and, to be honest, if anyone then still leases it, take the extortionate fee and run to the bank smiling broadly. You''ll get the aircraft back after six months anyway, and to be 'realistic' ; placing an aircraft in storage, mothballing it : which usually involves a lot of work, such as draining fluids, sealing compartments against dust, etc, engine protection, and so on : then recovering it and putting it back in service would take just as long so would need a similar time penalty in-game.

Yes it would definitely have to cost money, but maybe it would be cheaper the longer it was mothballed? As you say, it's the putting the aircraft in that state and making it ready that's costing the money. But it should be cheaper than a C check, or else the point would be gone.

brique

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 02:02:35 PM »
Agree, but longer should not necessarily mean cheaper ; again, the mothballing costs the same, in and out, regardless of how long in between the work. There would also need to be a 'parking fee' too. Norwich Airport (UK) had a bunch of wide-bodies parked up in a corner for ages, a while back, all mothballed and un-liveried. I cant imagine they sat there without any airport charges all that time. 'Desert' parking lots are popular for the lack of humidity and abundant cheap land : but, for countries without a convenient desert near-by, you'd have to also consider the cost of getting the planes there and back too, even to the extent that smaller aircraft could be out of range and require several stages to get there.

Offline Andre

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 06:25:13 PM »
Yes definately, there should be some kind of lease or rent on the lot the airplane takes up as long as it's not higher than the price of a C check every year.

Offline knobbygb

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 06:52:33 AM »
This is something I've always wanted but never got around to requesting.

For me, putting the aircraft up for sale at a high price is OK, but I would genuinely feel bad if some 'newbie' leased it at the rip off price.

Having 200+ (as I currently have) aircraft up for sale clogs up my screens when I am sorting through my and makes it hard for others to find what they need in the used market - a regular complaint.  Most of the stuff on there is not really "for sale" but just abandoned.

Because people will always chase stats. in a game, I totally understand why they want to keep all those old aircraft - I am probably the worst offender!  I even sometimes buy fleets of 50+ small turboprops that I will never use and never sell, just to boost stats and avoid tax.  These need to be stored too, so I can actually find stuff in my "my aircraft" screen!

Offline Andre

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 03:50:14 PM »
Yes exactly. This solution would clean up all the rusty planes in the used market that people only keep to hold their company value up high.  :)

Offline [ATA] b757capt

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 11:26:46 PM »
I would agree. This feature would be great.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 04:12:49 AM »

Offline Andre

• Members
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 11:19:14 AM »
From December 2010:
http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,27499.0.html

Which refers back to a November 2008 request:
http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,2685.0.html

*Grabs archaeologist equipment and starts digging for former threads*

Seriously though.. it would be good to hear from Sami on this issue. The only response I see from him in the former threads years ago is him linking people back and forth.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 12:21:17 PM »
He tries to keep the 'original' threads so people get proper credit.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.