Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Thoughts on the new BW format  (Read 1536 times)

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Thoughts on the new BW format
« on: April 24, 2013, 09:21:02 PM »
This first BW scenario with the new settings is ending soon. I'd like to hear your feedback, if any .. Do you find it more useful than before now that everyone can join? Or the other way?

The next BW will start this week, and it is simply a reset of the current world - same settings.

brique

• Former member
Re: Thoughts on the new BW format
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 09:52:20 PM »
I liked it, it gave me a chance to try out a 9-seater airline, (successfully, well, it owns 8 planes and makes enough profit to maintain them, even pays taxes!) Of course, BW is way soft in its settings, and d-checks should never darken your doorstep, but it was fun to do and very instructive.

Will I play it again? Certainly, though what my next experiment will consist of is still up for grabs...

SuriProf4

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 10:35:59 PM »
i like the fact i can continue in another bw scenario from the start. from what i understand it used to be a 'one and done' situation with bw.

i think one thing that was mention in another forum was the more experience players use of the bw scenario. i didnot personally have any experience with it, but i can see how it can be a possible problem at certain airports and the order que for aircraft.

but overall, i like the sim. it is sort of addictive

Offline AIRmoe

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 12:04:39 AM »
Being a beginner, I found it to be very useful, and at the same time, fair. It helped me a lot to understand the game, unlike the MT8 world. My only wish is the addition of alliances, and I'm sure someone mentioned before on how it can't be implemented, but it's only a wish. Overall, I'm very satisfied and long may this continue! Cheers  :)

maccio71

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 01:44:19 PM »
i Have posted my Thoughts on the new format in the opening BW tread, in a more angry way.

I don't think it is a good idea to have experience people to join BW, have beginners and people to just refresh the game properties it was more fun.

I don't believe that a beginner will have more than 200 airplanes and all longhaul, three bases in Europe, if people want to try some new tactics they should have their own world and compete with their same level of experience.

You can see people wich are in the test server, lots of experience to be there, wich knows the game very well and knows that in BW there is no so much competition that is useless to have medium planes, teh demand it is big to support those and destoying other people and companies, just for the fun of it, and it will decrease other players fun.

As for me, i will continue to play as real airline, would fly in the real world, this is my fun in the games.

Thank you for this game.
Andrea

Offline Meicci

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 04:42:54 PM »
...You can see people wich are in the test server...

That server ended (stopped) some time ago already. Not possible to test your strategies out there.

BD

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 12:14:36 AM »
Recently signed up to try the Demo/Beginner's World, and would like to share some observations so far:

1.  Very aesthetically appealing interface.
2.  Very well thought out and good depth to the game (as far as I can tell so far, and I've only just begun!).
3.  Had there not been the above, or good indication of the above, I might have been put off by some frustrations:

Some functionality that simplifies information gathering/analysis, or perhaps easing navigation is disabled - a couple of examples:
-  Map view not available - there seem to be one or more places where a map has been disabled.  As new users we need to decide where to locate, would have been loads easier to click on a map to drill down into airports to find out where one might want to start - hopefully, one can drill down on a map.
-  When deciding on first aircraft, there is a "compare" feature disabled, which makes the analysis needlessly more difficult.
-  In both these cases, one can accomplish the same basic capability but it takes more hunting and manipulation to accomplish tasks (it is not like the information is not available - e.g. opening up two browser tabs with aircraft pages, flipping back and forth to do a compare).  Also, they seem too basic to be "accelerator" features for super users.

Anyway, I don't want to come across as complaining...the developers seem to have done a nice job and deserve many compliments, and I do understand the need to incent users to move to the paid for model.  I just thought I'd add some perspective from a new user.  Thanks.

Offline Srsellers

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 07:19:10 PM »
Being a beginner i found the BW very helpful. I liked that the more experienced players are able to play in the world because it shows us beginners what we are going to be up against in the other worlds. Also all the experienced players are very very friendly and helpful and by them being in the world they can better help you with questions. I would have to agree with another poster that the alliance option would be very nice. I will for sure be continuing to play in the BW for quite sometime untill i fully understand the game. Thank you Sami. :)

Oryx

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
Hyvää päivää  ;D

After nearly 2 years I've "rediscovered" your website and have tried my hand recently at new BW scenario.

I like the improved interface very much. I appreciated also the information that new features have been added (e.g. alliances) though not available in BW/Demo scenarios for obvious reasons  ;)

Here are my thoughts regarding any potential/further improvements:
(sorry in advance if my ideas stem from my still not very profound knowledge of the game)

1. C - checks:
Whereas A/B-checks can easily be dealt with by arranging the weekly schedule accordingly the case becomes more complicated with C-checks...
The bigger airline you have the bigger problem it creates. So many C checks require almost 24/day attention (aircraft swaps) Frankly it was the reason of my second bankruptcy since I went to the mountains for a few days off and could not see to it as often as needed >:(

Do you consider implementing some kind of a tool which would actually help to organize the process automatically (for instance by providing the fleet with an extra number of disposable aircraft?)

2. Loyalty (frequent flyer) Programmes
Introducing an FFP would add verisimilitude to the whole concept of marketing - it does remain a very strong marketing tool generating up to 30% (or more) of real-life airlines' revenue. Even after reaching route image of 100% it can still be a deciding factor within a very strong price competition.

3. Aircraft types images:
As I remember well they did not change much since last 2 years.. it's high time someone refreshed it a bit  :-[
(I'm sure both Boeing and Airbus as well as other makers would allow using their nice looking factory-livery images)

Last but not least
4. When a given scenario is already in the final stage (closed to new players) maybe it's time to open a new one. Some wait impatiently to join the game  ;D

Thank you Sami for having created this fantastic simulation! It's a real fun! :D
Jan
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:14:44 PM by Jagiellon »

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 04:31:53 AM »
I love the BW worlds. Although I have been playing for a long time, they do help brush up on tactics and, well, a lot of things where I'm not so good in the bigger worlds. I hope the BW worlds continue.

BD

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 01:03:43 PM »
1. C - checks:
Whereas A/B-checks can easily be dealt with by arranging the weekly schedule accordingly the case becomes more complicated with C-checks...
The bigger airline you have the bigger problem it creates. So many C checks require almost 24/day attention (aircraft swaps) Frankly it was the reason of my second bankruptcy since I went to the mountains for a few days off and could not see to it as often as needed >:(

Do you consider implementing some kind of a tool which would actually help to organize the process automatically (for instance by providing the fleet with an extra number of disposable aircraft?)

Last but not least
4. When a given scenario is already in the final stage (closed to new players) maybe it's time to open a new one. Some wait impatiently to join the game  ;D
Jan, a couple comments as a noob...

1.  C-Check

Upon researching this topic, there is a school of thought that says it is more profitable just to have all your aircraft flying assign routes rather than have aircraft that are "floaters" that get assigned to the routes of those under C-check.  I have not contrasted the two myself to know specifically.  I have treated newly arriving aircraft (purchase or lease) as floaters, but otherwise I have moved assigned schedules around to keep my most profitable routes flying.

However, in line with your suggestion, I would like to see the ability to set/schedule the C-check dates any time before its expiry.  That way I can space out the cashflow impact.  I nearly ran into the same trouble as you did with a sudden hit, but I happened to check in advance and was able to save and borrow enough cash to cover the first month while still grow my airline.

4.  Start New World as Existing Ones End

Good suggestion.  I was lucky that a new BW just started when I finished the Demo.  As a noob, it would have been rather frustrating to wait a week or so to join a new BW, but where are we without our instant gratification!   ;D

BD

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 01:05:38 PM »
...all the experienced players are very very friendly and helpful and by them being in the world they can better help you with questions...
Agree...great community here.  Certainly enhances the experience.

Offline 11Air

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 12:07:42 PM »
BW does the job nicely, letting me try what I assume to be the way most airlines started, a suitable base that no-one else is using much, a couple of 737's on decent routes, and a few cheaper (ATR's) to sus out other routes. It worked OK but I'm a little worried about all the comments about it being much easier than the full worlds.
I assume the other New Airline is the Freddy Laker approach, lots of loans to buy and lease aircraft 737's plus and hope the Summer Traffic pays for the quiet winter before the autumn arrives and the repayments start.

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 04:12:29 PM »
Traffic demand does not reflect seasonal traffic,that´s why some RL airline models won´t work here.
Full worlds have much more players/competition and higher fuel costs, plus your competition will give you a harder time because it´s experienced.
I´m afraid that running a few aircrafts for a few game month from an uncontested airport in BW hasn´t presented all faceable problems yet.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 04:35:30 PM »
It worked OK but I'm a little worried about all the comments about it being much easier than the full worlds.

What you've done in BW will work ok in full worlds. However, it won't scale up very well. If you plan to run a profitable, 20-30 plane airline from one of the smaller size 5 airports, and you find one without a direct competitor, it'll probably work. If you plan to keep growing, become a profitable 100+ plane airline, it won't work so well. Your overhead will increase faster than your revenue, the profitability will disappear, and you'll go bankrupt in style. 7 fleet groups is a bad idea. Anything more than 3 fleet groups is a bad, or at least risky, idea. Everywhere you're flying a beechcraft or cessna, you could be flying another ATR instead. Everywhere you're about to fly your E145, you could be flying another 737. Instead of 4 old 737s and 4 new 737s, you could have 8 of one type. Erratic scheduling isn't so bad when you're small, but will run into more issues with extra competition, and will be much harder to maintain with a bigger airline, too.

Offline 11Air

• Members
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
Thanks for the comments. I did check out the fuel/Pax on my "Route Proving" a/c. If they can't make it work then putting an upsize 'Fleet' aircraft on it will cost me more. The B1900 was defo a mistake, the Cessna 208 does all I need to do to assess satellite airports(fields) and get them to start expanding. I have one Airport that has trebled in daily volume in 18months(game) from providing a day long series of flights. I have also hit the Monopolies Commission barring my extra flights but not from this one.
The Embraer has lower fuel costs and is an experiment in turning marginal destinations into 737 destinations. I expect to add the 737 as an afternoon flight where the Emb is a morning flight.
I can't believe how much paperwork I'm generating just to get a grip on all the variables and flights. A/c, days, airports, pax/day, Revenues and tweaking seat prices. Why don't my overpaid and overweight staff do some of this?

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 08:00:57 PM »
By just checking the fuel/PAX ratio you are not getting the full picture of an airplane advantage/disadvantage.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.