Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Airline CEO income put to use  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Mnemic

• Members
Airline CEO income put to use
« on: April 18, 2013, 07:29:42 PM »
I was just thinking of some ways the Airline CEO could be put to use.

I give myself a good wage, for simulation/role-play reasons. But I was thinking that it feels rather useless that you got nothing to use them on.
So I tried to come up with some ways they could be put for good use.

It's all just some brainstorming, so maybe they aren't all thought very well true, but I'd like to come with some ideas to inspire new ways of thinking for the possible future of this simulation.

1) CEO or airline funds, you could be able to move the money around as you like, whether that means you want to donate money back to your airline or to other airlines. Furthermore it would be interesting if you could somehow invest your money into something, perhaps accommodation or similar for the role-play part.

2) I was also thinking if it somehow could be made possible that the money you earned yourself during a game somehow could be following with your account, so that if you were to start up a new airline in a future game, after the old one finished, then you could chose to deposit your own money into your new airline and that way start with a bigger budget. If you do go bankrupt, then the money you donated to your airline is lost as well.

Just two thoughts I had.
I do see that there needs to be some regulations regarding option 2 as it could be giving an unfair start for newer or less successful players, but on the other hand it also gives a good reason for older players to continue and to think ahead of future games as well. I thought it was worth the suggestion.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
Re: Airline CEO income put to use
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 07:36:11 PM »
Maybe a statistic of total career earnings, over many games? One good use of the CEO wealth is that it now earns you an achievement (still a novelty to me  :-[ ).
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 07:51:26 PM »
There's already a thread related to this (& a plan) ....somewhere

Offline Mnemic

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 09:06:41 PM »
Alright, thank you for pointing it out Sami.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 04:47:00 PM »
(as mentioned, there's another thread related to this, but using this one now for comments as it's more relevant)

So, I am currently working on changes to the airline creation process and at the same time will most likely introduce the CEO wealth vs. airline ownership concept.

In short the plan is as follows:

1) Player joins a game world, he is given a certain amount of money.
    - the amount depends on game settings and directly relates to the current airline start-up capital (= no changes to airline start-up capital).

- in GW2 for example the default start money was set to $1.3mil and of this $1.0 mil loans => Player's start wealth is $0.3 mil in that case.

2) When creating an airline, player then can choose how much of his personal wealth he can invest in the new airline. Default is all of that.
    - the rest of the start-up capital for the new airline will come from "outside investors", and the amount will depend on the game settings, game year, inflation, chosen airport etc - like currently.

- So if the player chooses a small class 1 airport and invests all $0.3 mil of his own money then the 'outside investors' would provide $1.0mil => total $1.3 mil start-up capital for the airline (corresponding to the game settings; ie. old system). Alternatively if he chooses a large class 5 airport the capital in current system is higher, and in this new system too the "outside investors" would put in more money so that the same total sum is achieved.

- The ownership ratio of the new airline corresponds to the ratio of investments. But this is something for future (stocks / dividends etc). ie. 23% for player and 77% for AI in the case of $0.3 / $1.0mil investment ratio, for this example. This wouldn't have any real meaning so far like mentioned, but in the future the player could then buy/sell more shares of his airline (or of others).

3) Player then manages his airline normally ...
    - is paid the CEO salary; wealth inceases
    - later on can be paid dividends based on company's results etc; wealth increases

4) At the end, the richest CEO is the coolest guy .. And this would move to be the main measurement of player success in the game worlds.

Well, that's the basis. However the bankruptcies are the reason why I am asking for opinions.

a) If a player invests all his cash to an airline and then goes bust (even immediately at day 0 for example), what shall we do?  Give him another "minimum start cash" (0.3mil in this example) or just keep his wealth at zero, and make him own 0% of his new airline? Or something in between (like 10% of the 0.3mil?)?   Though if you leave the game and get back with the joining fee, then you'd have the start-up capital again.

b) If a player has boatloads of cash and restarts, would there be an upper limit on the initial investment he makes?  Would say no, but would that be unfair if a guy who has managed a huge airline closes it down and decides to open a small commuter carrier with $500 mil initial capital? (far fetched example.. However that's kind of realistic. If someone likes to do that, then why not?)

This itself is not a "major" feature but a step in building bigger things.

(p.s. any money transfers between the company & CEO will be only through stocks. After all this is a model of a company and not just two wallets you'd move money any way you like; and also it's going to be specific to a single game/server)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 04:52:40 PM by sami »

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 05:09:35 PM »
If a player BK due to financial problems then his money should be set to 0. Who fails managing an airline has no right to go away with a bonus from it.

If a player "sells" his airline and it is financially stable, he should be rewarded with the cash he already earned AND for example 10% of the airline value as pay-off/income from sell.

The BK window therefor should be changed. If a player BKs out of free-will some kind of "end-screen" should appear where all assets and debts are shown. If the airline is in plus then he would sell the airline to AI (that either keeps it running or BKs it) and he would keep his money + 10% airline value.
If the end result is negative (for example cash on hand but huge loans) he would lose his own money because the airline is de facto bankrupt.

That avoids an exploit:
An airline that was once good and well running but got into bad ways could be bankrupted before it is terminated and the player would get a profit from that. Therefor this end-screen is necessary.

I also don't see it as a problem if a player restarts and keeps his money. The money isn't generated out of nowhere and while some guy in the new airport may have disadvantages, others at the old airport(s) of the airline have advantages.

This system could be a good chance for people who are the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. big guy at an airport or that are based at an airport that is doomed (like Baghdad) or that becomes a base of a way bigger fish and another airport frees up.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 05:19:57 PM »
Therefor this end-screen is necessary.

This makes no sense since the company money/debts/assets have got nothing to do with the wealth/money of the CEO.

If you have built a huge airline and have gotten paid $50 million during that time, and then that airline fails into bankruptcy, the CEO still has his $50mil paid earlier ...

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 06:41:42 PM »
Please read my posting again, I suggested to giving a successful CEO an additional 10% of airline value as profit from selling the airline. ;)

Offline Pukeko

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 08:12:53 PM »
How about something completely off the wall and related to overall Airline Rating - similar to Alliance Rating but a combination of various airline stats to give the airline an overall rating and allow players overall comparibility with other airlines. I know this has been discussed before and elsewhere and your wondering the relevance to this topic, but read on.

If the CEO could donate his/her wealth to a worthy cause - ie. this money would simply dissapear from the company, but his/her image would ultimately increase. This would have a positive spinf off on the Airline rating and could also help increase company imagine without increased marketing spend.

You could take this a little further and also allow the airline itself to purchase carbon credits - again money that would leave the company never to be seen again (only available from Year ca. 1990 onwards or something like that) and again you could build this into increasing company image without increase marketing spend.

These two factors could be added to an airlines / alliance ratings : 'Carbon Neutrality', 'CEO Image' etc.

In the long term, 'Green' and 'Ethical' alliances could also be set up.

Admittingly, I have no idea how you would calculate the carbon neutrality  and it would obviously have a bigger effect on Russian metal, but if it wasnt applied until after 1990 or so, it should have that much of a profound effect.

Offline DHillMSP

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 12:52:30 AM »
This makes no sense since the company money/debts/assets have got nothing to do with the wealth/money of the CEO.

If you have built a huge airline and have gotten paid $50 million during that time, and then that airline fails into bankruptcy, the CEO still has his $50mil paid earlier ...

Agreed. A CEOs personal wealth would not be touched in a bankruptcy. Not sure investors would be willing to give him/her so much money the next time, however. Maybe something like a CI or rating for CEOs?

Offline MRFREAK

• Members
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 12:56:58 PM »
It could be nice to implement shares and then you would be able to use some of your CEO money to buy shares in other airlines. :)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.