Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Fleet Evolution  (Read 609 times)

Offline jdann

• Members
Fleet Evolution
« on: April 13, 2013, 02:59:40 PM »
Hi There,

I'm currently running a small, mainly turboprob regional airline out of Birmingham UK. I've pretty much reached saturation on routes which I'm happy using turboprobs on, and now I'm looking to expand - out towards 500-100nm, there are a whole host of airports which have demands of around 70/day - and no competition.
Therefore, I want to tap into those markets, my turboprobs can still reach those airports, but I'm thinking about CRJs - since they are around double the speed, (from my observations they tend to trim around 1/3 off route timings), have a small capacity suitable for those routes and are pretty good with fuel (1340kg/hr).

However, there seems to be some dislike of CRJ's I've read, despite the used market being pretty well stocked with them, also, I'm not sure about getting a completely new fleet group; I'd want at least 10..... Is this going to plunge me into  bankruptcy again?

Offline dmoose42

• Members
Re: Fleet Evolution
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 03:26:26 PM »
You already have 2 Fokker 100's.  I suggest trying to continue to expand that fleet rather than buying the CRJ's which generally perform the same type of role.  If the Fokker leases are short (<1-2 years), it may not be a bad strategy to switch to the CRJ's if they have better availability.  However, I would not have both the Fokker 100/70 fleet type and the CRJ type as it's unnecessary.

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 04:43:29 PM »
You wouldn´t face BK if flying CRJ´s, but sticking to already used fleet, even if a bit too big for route will turn out more economical. If priced right, flights may tempt more people accepting your offer than prognosed, and Fokkers make a profit with 70% LF anyway.

Online spiff23

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 02:46:12 AM »
The nice thing about Fokkers is you get the option of 70 seat or 105 seat.  With RJ they tend to cap out at 80 in same family.  The thing you need to consider with RJs is whether you have cash flow to buy them.  I've never had a problem, even with ERJ135s when I own them.  Leasing with no options to buy is a quick way to Bankruptcy if you run on thin margins.  It's very hard to cover the RJ lease when fuel spikes unless you have them turning on lots of 200nm routes.  If you can buy them outright, then it's. lot easier.  That's been my experience.

Offline jdann

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 03:37:52 PM »
Thankyou all,
I'll be taking your advice and sticking with the Fokkers then!

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.