Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Bankruptcy Time!  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Karl

• Members
Bankruptcy Time!
« on: April 10, 2013, 09:05:41 PM »
Apparently, now that the scenario is getting on in years, a number of airllines are experiencing the first round of aircraft D Checks.  Bankruptcy has already taken some (me), and looms for others.

I bet on being able to find enough decent aircraft to repalce aging, leased models that were nearing the point of D Checks, but either there were none for lease, the delivery wait for new models was too far out, or there were good used aircraft "for sale" only and out of my price range.

There has got to be a way to get big enough fast enough in a sim to get too big to fail, but after participating in several comeptitive environments, I have not foud it yet!

And, as I hve recently found out, starting afresh at this point and finding useful aircraft in this crowded environment is not easy!

Offline Pukeko

• Members
Re: Bankruptcy Time!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 09:21:12 PM »
I guess it's a balance between growing fast enough to absorb available planes and slot availability, but keeping that growth to a moderation... so that leased aircraft can be either replaced at D-check time, or a number of D-checks are built into your growth plan and their cost absorbed without plunging the airline into massive debt.

As airlines bankrupt, planes are coming available, there have been huge amounts of 737-3/4/5 come on the market in the past few real days. Admitingly they don't stay on the market long, but at one point I saw 60/70+ on the market at once.

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 09:22:24 PM »
There has got to be a way to get big enough fast enough in a sim to get too big to fail

You cannot become too big to fail in this game. Even the largest airline can fail if it is not well run. You are either healthy or not, if you are healthy, not even a round of D-Checks can bring you down.

Offline Name_Omitted

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 05:01:03 AM »
Big is not necessarily the answer.  If you are having trouble with jets, give 50 pax. turboprops a try.  You don't get as big, you don't get big quickly, but the maintenance and fuel costs stay fairly small in comparison to the profits of the aircraft.  I have some aircraft that make enough to cover the cost of their C check every week, and could pay off a D check in 6 weeks.

My less profitable aircraft (which only make money on the margin while the other aircraft pay most of my fixed costs) can make money on 30 pax routes where I have no competition whatsoever.

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 10:04:22 AM »
I went down due to stiff competition on every single route and lack of time to adjust pricing on a case by case basis.

Moppeux

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 03:01:09 AM »
What I learned from my bankruptcies.

1.A : Don't lease planes for 15 years, it kills your flexibility if you are a smaller airline and you get stuck with big planes you may(will) not want.
   B : Tying up most of your easy beginning profits in downpayments for planes you will(maybe) get in 3 or 4 years instead of expanding is a bad idea.
   C : Use the fuel edging early when you can or miss out on millions on savings.
   D : Erikas1 of CANair is a bad person :P Moving in your only airport and putting planes on most of your lines makes it feels really personal(and bankrupt!).

2.A : Miniapolis is small and pretty isolated
   B : DC-9 are fuel drunks!

This is really fun to play! Lots to learn :)

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 10:31:56 AM »

B : DC-9 are fuel drunks!

I really thought I could make those work considering that I successfully ran Tu-134s for the entire length of DoTM4. They had 20 less seats, more crew, flew slower and burned 2,000 kg/hr more fuel. I'm continuing my antiques only model a few miles away but have switched to first generation 737s now, a bit less thirsty.

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 10:55:31 AM »
DC-9s are not too shabby, I fly them profitably out of Paris. They are only a placeholder, but still.

Offline TerryMcKenna

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 12:30:49 PM »
I have received a bank notice threatening me with bankruptcy. How long is it before bankruptcy happens.
I have had one before but it said in 6 real days, this doesn't say that.
 :(

Offline SHAGRATHI

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 09:40:31 PM »
Does it matter?
Bank always wins :laugh:

Offline AIRmoe

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 12:17:00 AM »
I have received a bank notice threatening me with bankruptcy. How long is it before bankruptcy happens.
I have had one before but it said in 6 real days, this doesn't say that.
 :(

What would you do in real life? I'd have to assume that the average broke/indebted person usually ignores these so-called "threats" from creditors. Just make sure your airline is set up well to enjoy a profit in the near future and ignore the message.

Moppeux

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 02:42:36 AM »
DC-9s are not too shabby, I fly them profitably out of Paris. They are only a placeholder, but still.

I was using them 24h but the routes they ran were long, at the limit of their range and the profit they made got eaten in expensive c-checks. I think I just made the wrong plane choice and blame them for it.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.