Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Help for a poor airline.  (Read 5627 times)

waplane

• Former member
Help for a poor airline.
« on: April 05, 2013, 03:10:49 PM »
Sénégal International is looking for a generous airline with money to spare to kindly lease our sole, ancient 727-100 for an upcoming D-check in the next three months. While we are profitable and have recently made a small addition to our fleet, the $6,930,167 simply is not in our budget at this time since we are desperately trying to save up for the purchase of a second 727. If you can spare 7 million, please send me a message and we can set up a transfer so that this fine aircraft can continue working as one of the last 15 727-100s in service.

http://www.airwaysim.com/game/Info/Airline/2502/

Disclaimer: Yes I know a 23 year old 727 isn’t the foundation for a world dominating airline, as I have other focuses in AWS at the moment this is more of a “do it because I can” airline.  ;D

Offline ArcherII

• Members
Re: Help for a poor airline.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 04:17:58 PM »
Why don't you scrap it and lease a more suitable airplane with the money earned from Soda Inc.?

waplane

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 05:14:32 PM »
Senegal has little demand so I don't see myself really growing much. Plus I own the plane and operate simply because I can. I have other duties in AWS so this is just a for fun company, not a competition/major growth company.

Offline Andre

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 06:41:48 AM »
I get the romanticism of flying an old, almost extinct aircraft.. but in this case, it's not very smart keeping it up in the air. You're a very small airline with only two planes, and when you can buy another plane for the same price as the D-check, it just doesn't make sense. Maybe you'll be lucky and find someone to check it for you, but you need to consider the C-checks too, they're going to kill your airline if you don't deal with the situation. And you can't lease out your aircraft every year. Another option might be to turn off automatic D-checks and remove it from service until you've saved up for the check.

If you had a sustainable income, keeping that one old bird up in the air for the fun of it.. I completely understand.  :) But in this case, I would just get rid of it.

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 08:50:51 AM »
Plus I own the plane and operate simply because I can.

Well you obviously can't as you can't afford the maintenance for it. So get rid of it.

brique

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 09:08:26 AM »
Anyone who did that service for you, would not be doing you a favour, they would just be delaying the inevitable outcome, which is that your business model is not sustainable and never will be.

Firstly, go look at your commonality page ; see just how much that aircraft is costing you in fixed costs every month : and thats before you pay for anything else on it. Its why you'll always be told that you really need 10 or so of a type to spread those fixed costs around a bit so that your operating profit on them is not eaten up just paying for commonality costs.

yes, its right to start your airline using older, cheaper, easily leased aircraft : but they carry a 'poison pill': increased maintenance as they get older, and the older they get, the more that will rise. Thats bearable while you are expanding fast at game-start, you need tin in the air making profit so you can replace it with newer onesbefore those high mx costs hit you; keep them into d-check territory and then your profits go into keeping them flying, not replacing them. And eventually you end up where you are; you cant replace it, you cant maintain it, ergo, you cant fly it : it stops making money and keeps costing you money.

'Vanity' projects are fine : they add spice to the game and provide much enjoyment in it : but they are best done when you are rolling in the cash from a solid, well-founded operation that can bear the (always much higher than you think) costs.your operation is not well-founded, isnt rolling in the cash : time to rethink and consider alternatives to it.

just my 1.99c worth..

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 11:40:35 AM »
I don´t understand this whole topic. Why should anybody in his right mind consider leasing your rubbish ? If he did it would be for the sake of money transfer and that is against game rules being a subsidize or a gift. You don´t care much about your airline, as you focus on other things, so why don´t you just close that meaningless experiment ?
It is very clear that you are not being profitable (because that includes being able to maintain your fleet) and can´t survive without money gifts.And what are you trying to prove in the first place ? That you "can"? Well,perfectly proved,  you CAN´T.

waplane

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 04:57:01 PM »
I do know how to run an airline in the game and I understand that the business model is complete rubbish, I originally had been about to close out of DoTM so that I could focus on my main operation in MT but figured “what the heck” and threw some crap together. From looking at the rules I can’t see a violation, the aircraft price isn't jacked up for a money transfer, I have no competition, and I am not in any alliance. Normal C-checks aren't a problem, it is just D-checks that get me into trouble so outside of just one check the operation does sustain itself.

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 05:33:08 PM »
You made an announcement sounding like someone in real need. Other people jumped in to discuss your problem. Seems you didn´t have any problem at all, just doodling along.
Maybe we just should ignore your questions in the future.You already know everything. And yes, being unable to pay for maintenance is just an irritating minor issue on otherwise successful airline.....the thing you asked for is not explicitly mentioned in the rule book, but it stays being something against game intention. You will have to run an airline on your own,
you may borrow money from the bank, not getting money through fake aircraft acquisitions by a friend or alliance member just to shovel money into your project.
It´s often done in alliances but still stays in the "grey zone" of proper play.If the acquired aircraft would not be D-checked and put back into service by the new owner, the whole deal
obviously would be a fake, regardless of sale price.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 06:07:11 PM by exchlbg »

waplane

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 06:07:35 PM »
Chill exchlbg, relax, I am in no way claiming to know everything, it is just if I wanted some massive serious airline here I would have used aircraft I have used in the past such as the DC-9 or 737.

The rules state: "Alliance members are also forbidden to effectively transfer money between their member airlines by for example repeatedly selling and buying aircraft between each others. Normal one-time sales of aircraft is naturally allowed but transferring aircraft with the only intention of at the same time generating profits/money to one airline is considered unacceptable." I am not trying to get money but see if someone has spare money where they could take care of a D-check for me, that is it, nothing prevents someone taking care of a  one time maintenance deal. This isn't me trying to subsidize some airline out of Chicago O'Hare either here but a crappy airline out of Dakar, Senegal, a place where one is lucky to just find 1 route with 100 demand under 2000NM. Situation needs to be taken into consideration before raining down judgement about money transfers as well, even if that was what I was after, airlines sell or lease out aircraft all the time for a few extra bucks real fast and as long as it isn't a regular thing it is perfectly legal, not even in the grey zone.

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 06:16:48 PM »
Two opinions, now others may decide.

Offline Marksw76

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 11:40:46 PM »
Scrap it, then someone can make it into a holiday home like that airplanehome dude, or rip out the interior, chuck some sawdust down and turn it into somewhere to keep your chicks

feathered chicks that is

i'm sure shes a beut but its just time to let her go

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 08:02:40 AM »
In MT7, I kept a lone 20 year old Tu-204 in the air flying from Tahiti to New Zealand just once a day at exorbitant cost to my otherwise regional island-hopping E120 airline just because I could and I'm sure it irked someone. I had two going for a while to really annoy everyone else on that route but sadly had to let one of them get scrapped for the sake of partial sanity.

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 05:28:39 AM »
It may be that you need to start over, choose a 2 engine aircraft with the range you need. D checks are a pain, no doubt, but most of us go thru them. You may even have to go thru bankruptcy and start from there, and it's not so bad. That's where you make your corrections. It just depends how bad off you really are. Sounds to me it's time to let go and begin again. ;)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.