Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: similar fleet groups  (Read 340 times)

Offline meiru

• Members
similar fleet groups
« on: March 29, 2013, 04:10:27 PM »
Would be nice to have "similar fleet groups", so e.g. if you have DC-10 and MD-11 it would count as 1.5 and not 2. I don't think it should count as much as it does today. (by the way, the MD-11 IS in fact a DC-10... it has been certified as a version of the DC-10.... so, it's not really a "full type" of aircraft).

Offline mtnlion

• Members
Re: similar fleet groups
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 06:13:36 PM »
Indeed. I actually heard from the airlinepilotguy podcast that MD80 pilots in the U.S. have DC9 as their type-rating in their certificates. Though I think that in the AWS the fleet commonality and groups have more to do with the engines etc. that are different. Pilots are just medium/large/... pilots.  :)

But 1,5 or something could actually work and be a bit more realistic since I'd think that it is cheaper to an airline to operate DC10 and MD11 than lets say DC10 and B777 commonality wise.

Offline Andre

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 06:41:14 PM »
Yes. All the MD-80 models except one are in fact DC-9 with updated cockpits and other minor improvements, and have a DC-9-81/82/83/87 rating. The MD-88 is the only one with it's own MD-80 type rating. In my opinion, MD-80 should be put together with DC-9 fleet type, MD-88 should be put with MD-90 (because they have the same cockpit and are very similar) and hopefully MD-95(B717-200).

Dividing fleet commonality more would be better. We already have engine commonality.

Current system with fixed aircraft types:

- Administrative costs / month    
- Fixed maintenance costs / month    
- Crew training / month

- Engines (seperate)

In my opinion, commonality should work like this, with different values affecting the commonality costs:

- Manufacturer/administrative/maintenance costs (20%)
- Engines/maintenance (30%)
- Type Rating/crew training/maintenance costs (50%)

A system like that would mean you would get an advantage running an all Airbus, all Boeing, all McDonnell Douglas or all Bombardier fleet for example. Type ratings are very easy to find, and would for instance mean that someone running an DC-9 fleet who would convert to a MD-80 fleet wouldn't pay any more commonality. But if he decides to include MD-88 he would have to pay 50% extra for the Type Rating. If he decided to add an MD-90 fleet he would have to pay the 30% increased commonality for the engines, but would not pay the extra 50% type rating costs for the MD-88.

It gets complicated, but it should be doable.

We already have a thread about something similar, but it's not in Feature requests.,42331.0.html

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 07:06:17 PM »
Fleet groups are done for the sake of scheduling mainly. Different normal cruising speed = different fleet group (there are some exceptions).

There's already a thread about expanding fleet commonality into manufacturer or model commonality, and including partial benefits (ie. for using similar groups etc).

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.