Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Lets just circle  (Read 848 times)

Offline apenfold

• Members
Lets just circle
« on: March 27, 2013, 12:46:27 AM »
Is it just me, or would it be good to be able to ask pilots to circle around a bit before landing on routes where you want to depart at 23:55 or earlier and arrive at 0500 or later.

So for instance, add a 30 min circle time to a flight that would land at 0430 so that it arrives at the time passengers deem acceptable (or in some cases after the end of a curfew).

mrose

• Former member
Re: Lets just circle
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 01:00:40 AM »
Sounds like a good idea. I'm currently taking delivery of 777s and the speed advantage over the 767s/DC10s formerly occupying the routes is all very useful, except on one route, where one has to schedule a departure before 23.55 in order to maintain an even once daily service across the week. However the arrival airport has a curfew, it opens at 6am and predictably the new 777s arrive at 5.55am, meaning I either have to start the flight at midnight or beyond, both resulting in a potential loss of passengers and having 2 flights on one day of the week, and none on another. I believe that if such a system were ever implemented it should be restricted to 'circling' for up to 30 minutes or similar, just to alleviate these irritating 5/10 minute anomalies. From my point of view it isn't exactly like it wouldn't happen in reality, and the potential benefits of such a system would be extremely useful to a number of airlines I would imagine.

Just my thoughts :)

M. Rose

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 01:03:55 AM »
This would also increase the realism.  Right now everything is calculated based on a straight line from one airport to the next, but in reality the flightpaths might include taking off towards the north and then turning around to fly south, etc.  Flightpaths usually deviate from the straight line to remain in certain airspace also.

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 02:40:56 AM »
And crews can choose at which speed they travel, and if it was for saving fuel.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 10:55:22 AM »
Sounds like a good idea. I'm currently taking delivery of 777s and the speed advantage over the 767s/DC10s formerly occupying the routes is all very useful, except on one route, where one has to schedule a departure before 23.55 in order to maintain an even once daily service across the week. However the arrival airport has a curfew, it opens at 6am and predictably the new 777s arrive at 5.55am, meaning I either have to start the flight at midnight or beyond, both resulting in a potential loss of passengers and having 2 flights on one day of the week, and none on another. I believe that if such a system were ever implemented it should be restricted to 'circling' for up to 30 minutes or similar, just to alleviate these irritating 5/10 minute anomalies. From my point of view it isn't exactly like it wouldn't happen in reality, and the potential benefits of such a system would be extremely useful to a number of airlines I would imagine.

Just my thoughts :)

M. Rose

Learn 7 day scheduling and you can eliminate this whole thing.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 11:03:07 AM »
The thought of voluntarily burning more fuel is making me shudder to be honest  ::)
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 11:43:48 AM »
Alex, you know that there's an economy setting on all planes.  Why fly at 400 when 385 will do just as well?    And it will make the pax happy too (in this sim)

You're not really burning more fuel, you're just not going as fast.

Offline Pilot Oatmeal

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 11:55:05 AM »
Alex, you know that there's an economy setting on all planes.  Why fly at 400 when 385 will do just as well?    And it will make the pax happy too (in this sim)

You're not really burning more fuel, you're just not going as fast.

Not entirely true, there is a economic cruise power setting, which I believe is already set as the TAS on all the aircraft in AWS.  Anything below or above it is technically wasting fuel. 

For example: if you burn 5% less fuel per hour and fly 6% slower, you are actually spending more fuel... To be honest Alex will know more about this than me even though I'm a lowly PPL. 

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 12:01:16 PM »
Not entirely true, there is a economic cruise power setting, which I believe is already set as the TAS on all the aircraft in AWS.  Anything below or above it is technically wasting fuel.  

For example: if you burn 5% less fuel per hour and fly 6% slower, you are actually spending more fuel... To be honest Alex will know more about this than me even though I'm a lowly PPL.  

He knows I am kidding.  We banter alot here.  And yes, you (and eventually he) are 100% correct.  These planes are designed to fly at a set speed and your example is correct UNLESS this game assumes someone set the Economic Cruise setting to 0 (or is it 100?)      

All I know is that I burn more fuel when the Airspeed Indicator is in that yellow area.  

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 12:07:04 PM »
Planes cruise at or near their best range speed, they hold at or near their best endurance speed.

Cost index modelling is kind of pointless because it changes from flight to flight... if a crew are reaching max. duty time or pax are getting tight for a connection then they may increase cost index. This simply means that time based expenses are reduced and fuel based expenses increase.

There may be a general company guidance on cost index (i.e. go a bit faster or slower) but for examples above it often goes out the window. I'm sure people would like to pinpoint their arrival times a bit easier but it has to be done through the options on opening the route.

Offline Pilot Oatmeal

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
Planes cruise at or near their best range speed, they hold at or near their best endurance speed.

Cost index modelling is kind of pointless because it changes from flight to flight... if a crew are reaching max. duty time or pax are getting tight for a connection then they may increase cost index. This simply means that time based expenses are reduced and fuel based expenses increase.

There may be a general company guidance on cost index (i.e. go a bit faster or slower) but for examples above it often goes out the window. I'm sure people would like to pinpoint their arrival times a bit easier but it has to be done through the options on opening the route.

Go on Alex put me to shame   :laugh: You learn something you should of known already every day right?  ;D

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 12:35:08 PM »
Go on Alex put me to shame   :laugh: You learn something you should of known already every day right?  ;D

No what you said was right really... anything above or below best range speed is wasting fuel :)

mrose

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 08:59:53 PM »
Learn 7 day scheduling and you can eliminate this whole thing.

I have been but the slots aren't completely consistent throughout the week, I think my base was the fifth or sixth most congested airport in the world when the schedule was created :)

M. Rose

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.