Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] point to point / diff aircraft for each leg  (Read 470 times)

Offline hmellouli

• Members
[-] point to point / diff aircraft for each leg
« on: March 25, 2013, 03:22:50 AM »
I wonder how feasible point to point routing would be to implement.

also, it would be great if we are able at some-point to use diff aircraft for each leg, as this would especially be helpful for either p2p and very long routes.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:50:26 AM by sami »

exchlbg

• Former member
Re: point to point / diff aircraft for each leg
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 04:49:05 AM »
What do you mean by point-to-point? As you mention each leg, do you mean ABCBA routing? That was once part of the sim but was dropped for multiple bases.Not planned to come back AFAIK.
I don´t have any imagination, what your second request is about.

ReedME

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 07:24:11 AM »
His request is for A-B-C-A/B from what I can see the second is asking for say a 737 to fly A-B then an a320 to fly B-C if that makes more sense

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 09:50:14 AM »
Didn't fully get the point here, but the plane must always return back to the base... Anyway, there are no plans to change the route planning or scheduling basis for now

Offline hmellouli

• Members
Re: [-] point to point / diff aircraft for each leg
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 03:39:51 PM »
Sorry, I was half asleep when i wrote that :-[. let me explain what i meant:

- P2P: think A-B-C-D-C-B-A. think of what southwest, Ryan air and other low cost carriers do. especially for short haul, A-B-A is not the most efficient.
- diff aircraft for each leg: what i meant to was say if you were flying to an airport where you already had a plane idle, that plane could pick up passengers for a different route. basically, it would allow scheduling without having to work around turn around time for each specific route. as long as the plane gets back to its base at the end of the day.

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 04:17:06 PM »
For playability reasons this game can´t reflect any possible decision of real life airlines, especially not those of low cost companies.
Your basic idea is much too complicated to be handled by an average player. By the way, where do your "idle" aircrafts come from?
Anyway, request (-)´ed instantly by Sami.

Offline Name_Omitted

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 05:51:05 PM »
We used to have A-B-C-B-A routing, but that went away with multiple bases as a form of arms limitation treaty that keeps space available for smaller players.  Imagine the following scenerio.

A-B-C-B-A
A-C-B-C-A
A-D-B-D-A
A-E-B-E-A
etc.  etc.

From a base in "A", an airline can also completely dominate "B" thereby controlling 2 hubs.  If you imagine A to be Atlanta and B to be Chicago, you see how this gets messy in a hurry.  I once had an airline that flew domestic 747's out of my base in Haneda with a long haul flight from the second position.  The 747 broke even with the first small hop, the second leg was simply a licence to print money.  I had at least 50 747's flying, and since they were making money on the first leg, I could land them anywhere I was interested in having market share, charging however little I felt.

Once we were allowed to create secondary bases, the scenario becomes even more insane.

C-B-A-B-C
C-D-B-D-C
C-E-B-E-C
C-F-B-F-C
Etc.

From a base in 2 major markets, an airline could then decide to dominate ANY nearby airport they saw fit regardless of country.  it would be very difficult to compete with an established airline, as the advice the "find an underutilized midsize airport to start in" would be irrelevant.  From 2 bases in England (one for profit, one for cheap slots to get aircraft in the air), an English airline could decide to make a "focus" city out of any city in Europe.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:54:05 PM by Name_Omitted »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.