Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Unfair for late comers!  (Read 6324 times)

Offline AIRmoe

• Members
Unfair for late comers!
« on: March 21, 2013, 03:00:08 AM »
 :-\

This game is very entertaining, well built, interactive, but unfortunately, flawed. It becomes almost unplayable for late comers who shell out some credits to join the party only to suffer due to the wrath of the early adopters who take up all the slots and big base airports. The rich keeps getting richer and the small is bound to fail. Unfair competition. Yes I am disappointing, but I still enjoy the game, bankrupting one airline at a time. Nonetheless, I commend the creators for this wonderful opportunity. I wish I knew about it and World #8 earlier, at least to have a chance to compete.

Offline AIRmoe

• Members
Re: Unfair for late comers!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 03:01:13 AM »
*dissappointed

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 03:13:53 AM »
Sorry that you feel that way, but after just two days of playing you canīt expect to have the slightest chance to "compete" with players that play for years. This is no easy game, it takes time to get the hang of it.This game is definitely not unplayable for late commers, just for people who donīt have any idea of the basic rules how to start an airline.
New airlines never make positive revenues during the first weeks , itīs normal.Basing at big airports is no guarantee for success at all and not advisable for beginners  because of massive competition of better players.
Please read all available FAQīs and follow forum discussions to get an idea, how to play to success.
Maybe itīs a good idea to start your "carreer" in beginnerīs world first.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 03:18:49 AM by exchlbg »

Offline AIRmoe

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 03:20:06 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I need a mentor and some patience, I have literally spent 2 straight days figuring this out, so a little frustration is coming out.

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 03:23:03 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I need a mentor and some patience, I have literally spent 2 straight days figuring this out, so a little frustration is coming out.

MT tends to be the most difficult scenario that is run around here, so it can be a real challenge.  For any game world, the first 5 years or so can be very difficult to join if you didn't get in on the first day, as most airlines are in expansion mode with shortages of planes on the used markets and slightly easier conditions. Once airlines start to fail due to poor management and the used market opens up a bit, it becomes a lot easier to join a game world (i.e. if you started in 2003-2006 or so, it'd be a lot less competitive than it is now)

Offline AIRmoe

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 03:28:43 AM »
Ah ok makes sense. I'm not giving up on this yet  :) Cheers!

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 07:58:57 AM »
Try and find an airport with decent demand that's still off the beaten path and you should be able to build a solid airline no matter when you start. The best planes are always going to be hard to come by so I also strongly recommend considering the alternatives. I'm running antiques myself to avoid the rush. They cost more in fuel and maintenance but they still get the job done.

Offline Pukeko

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 08:05:39 AM »
In the last MT, I joined half way into the game world - about 3 months on. By careful base and fleet selection I was able to grow into a 4 base, 100+ owned airplane airline. In a way it can be fun joining late in the game as there are a whole new set of challenges - big established airlines being one of them!

DOTM may be good place to start now. There is probably a good used market selection and openings at larger airports...

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 08:17:22 AM »
There is an easier game (beginners world) starting tomorrow (Friday) if that interests you more. You will be able to build your skills in peace there. Plus you can start the airline on day one.

Good luck
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline TerryMcKenna

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 08:46:42 AM »
Hi AIRmoe,
This topic comes up all the time in every game. 'It's too late...what hope do I have'
There are still plenty of opportunities to build a good solid airline and there are still plenty of airports. Sure not LHR or JFK but look at some of the dozens of lesser airports with several main undeveloped routes. Being the biggest at the biggest airports is not the real aim of the game.
 :)

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 12:17:18 PM »
Personally, I think the game is easier joining late.  You miss the rush of everyone starting at once and the used market is usually much deeper, making life much easier.  You may just need to wait a bit longer until fuel goes up and more airlines BK before starting.

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 01:34:42 PM »
You registered yesterday or what, start with the demo and move on to Beginners World. You began with the hardest available scenario, you can't expect to win outright.

Offline AIRmoe

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 08:37:10 PM »
So if I have played The Modern Times already, can I still go back and play Beginner's World?

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 08:55:50 PM »
So if I have played The Modern Times already, can I still go back and play Beginner's World?

Yeah there are no restrictions any more to joining BW.

Offline AIRmoe

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 08:57:28 PM »
Thank you all for the replies. Cheers  :)

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 09:02:01 PM »
Thank you all for the replies. Cheers  :)

You're welcome. We're a friendly and helpful bunch  ;D

Offline Name_Omitted

• Members
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 05:25:03 PM »
Hey, since you have paid the purchase price anyway, you may as well create a lab for learning to get yourself ready for the next game.

Find a midsized airport in the Midwest of the United States, and lease some Fokker turbo props.  5 is the sweet-spot, as the fixed costs will be decided 20% per airframe.  For now, don't worry about age.  An 18 year old Fokker can still make money with a 30 pax. demand route, and few people are obnoxious enough to challenge you for that route until things get really heated at your base.  DO worry about when the next "d" check is, lease the aircraft in such a way that it is returned before that happens (latter on, you can buy aircraft and run the D check, but only do that if own, or if you have the aircraft leased for several years after)

For your first aircraft, set the minimum time for the turn around to 45 minutes, start at 6:30 am, and choose your routes based on distance (avoiding routes that already have competition).  Start with the first 51 mile route that has at least 30 pax demand, go to the next nearest, and so on.  You should be able to get 4 or 5 routes out of the aircraft, which will start making you $100k a week before the first 4 months are out.  Rinse, wash, repeat.  Pretty soon, you will be making around $400k a week, which is enough to grow on.  You want to get to the point were your first base can sustain 15 aircraft.

That route you avoided because the demand was not worth it?  It probably is open all night.  Fly your aircraft there overnight.  You won't make much money, but any time your aircraft is making money is better than it standing still.  Crew costs work in such a way that you pay the same crew for an aircraft that is fully utilized as you do for an aircraft that has only one route, so for your overnight route, anything green is money ahead.

Advertise locally, radio and billboards only, save a few million to burn as operating costs until your route CI gets going.  That should do you for as long as you want, if you are not in high competition.  Once you plateau, do it again for 2 ad campaigns, your image will settle around 30, which is plenty for a commuter operation.

Offline xyeahtony

• Members
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 02:57:25 AM »
:-\

This game is very entertaining, well built, interactive, but unfortunately, flawed. It becomes almost unplayable for late comers who shell out some credits to join the party only to suffer due to the wrath of the early adopters who take up all the slots and big base airports. The rich keeps getting richer and the small is bound to fail. Unfair competition. Yes I am disappointing, but I still enjoy the game, bankrupting one airline at a time. Nonetheless, I commend the creators for this wonderful opportunity. I wish I knew about it and World #8 earlier, at least to have a chance to compete.

that's what the beginners world is for.

Offline Name_Omitted

• Members
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 03:39:56 AM »
that's what the beginners world is for.

This has been sufficiently covered in this thread.

Offline meiru

• Members
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2013, 11:17:25 PM »
it's impossible to grow that fast if you enter the game later, that's true... it's not impossible, but it takes much more time... and, what's the disapointing thing about that is, that the MD-11 line is always closed when I made enough money to buy one :-( ... anyway, that's an other story... but a game from the 1970 to 2020 would be a nice idea...

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.