Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Delays and company image ?  (Read 703 times)

ReedME

• Former member
Delays and company image ?
« on: March 19, 2013, 12:08:59 PM »
Why do winter delays have such a huge impact on company image - I went from 98% punctuality down to 78% as a result of weather and airport restrictions my cancellations went from 0 to 3% and as a result my company image fell 15 points over 3 months despite me spending over 10% of my revenue on marketing.

exchlbg

• Former member
Re: Delays and company image ?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 09:17:25 PM »
Thatīs happening to all of us. Thatīs why it is important to keep the controllable reasons for delay/cancelling clear.
If you are affected by cancellings as a passenger you mostly donīt look for excuses for this airline, you are just mad about it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:22:49 PM by exchlbg »

Offline dmoose42

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 09:50:55 PM »
I find that the delays/cancellations are less when you space extra time between flights, even beyond the 1% threshold, which I try to do if I can't fit another flight in that day/cycle.

ReedME

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 10:58:55 PM »
My schedules are really spaced out as it is but this is crazy. When is winter over ! ?

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 11:42:33 PM »
There are no chances under 1% delay, whatever spaces you leave between flights,so itīs just unlogical to turn around slower.And the creator of this game himself only days ago commented 1%-turn-arounds "a waste of time". Winter effects differ from year to year, as in reality. And maybe you need a bit more of marketing to buffer those effects....

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 01:36:50 AM »
People don't care why their flight was cancelled, they just get p***ed off about it. You can calm some of them down with refunds and vouchers but we can't specifically do that here so all you can do is temporarily up the marketing budget. I get a lot of weather delays myself and I'm based in Florida. I don't complain though because Tampa is my real life home airport so I know this is fairly accurate. We get more lightning than anywhere else and if there is a strike within 20 miles all the ground crews have to stop working. Gets to be quite a headache sometimes.

Offline AUpilot77

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 04:02:06 AM »
I find that the delays/cancellations are less when you space extra time between flights, even beyond the 1% threshold, which I try to do if I can't fit another flight in that day/cycle.

There are no chances under 1% delay, whatever spaces you leave between flights,so itīs just unlogical to turn around slower.

That is actually not true.  Although they all say ~1% delay, according to my experience it really does decrease the chances of a delay the longer you space them out past that.  I once had a 777 operation out of HNL with one flight per day from LAX-HNL and spaced every flight as far out as possible.  I had more than 5 777s from Hawaii to the West coast of the US and my punctuality on those specific flights rarely (if ever - I can't remember) dropped below 100%.  Maybe this was just a fluke but from what I've experienced, its true that the longer you space the flights out, the more probability of being on-time.  Maybe not economical and efficient, but it worked well for me in that case.

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 04:16:41 AM »
If that was true, then Samiīs statement of chances makes no sense.By the way, do you always check every flight every day?
Your flights rarely were under 100% on time. So that 1% delay chance worked perfect. If you didnīt see any other delays (weather etc.) on those flights was just luck.Maybe you donīt remember correctly.
Clear statements about this would have to be tested exactly by flying same routes with same equipment with slightly increased turn-around times and a clear statistic for a full year.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:24:46 AM by exchlbg »

brique

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 04:33:43 AM »
Sami's point, I believe, was that whilst you can go for a max turnaround and perhaps reduce delays/cancels a bit, the time lost would have been more profitably used flying the aircraft on a route : what you save from avoiding an occasional cancel will never compensate for an entire lost flight every day : this applies even more to larger aircraft as turnaround times get rather long if you aim at the #1% rate.

That said, if you absolutely cant squeeze another flight into the day, due to curfews, whatever, there is no harm in then spacing out flights a bit more : if it helps, great, if not, its no loss either.

Weather is weather ; some locations seem to suffer more than others : I assume this is hard-coded from historical data or has some random likelihood coded : so, its never going to be avoided and sometimes it will be awful and at others barely noticable. Thats the reality of it and its no use getting too upset, in real life it works the same way : I drive past LHR early most mornings and in winter, fog/mist are common enough not to be surprising : of course it will affect flights then.

ReedME

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 04:48:52 AM »
But my point is I'm marketing at over 15% of my revenue, and my image is still crashing.

Offline AUpilot77

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 05:05:01 AM »
But my point is I'm marketing at over 15% of my revenue, and my image is still crashing.

Yeah haha sorry for hijacking the thread  :laugh: :-[  Not really sure what to tell you.  Sami would probably be able to help.

brique

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 05:03:01 PM »

'15% of revenue' does kinda depend on how much revenue it is 15% of, if you get my drift : I, and many others, use 15% as a guide figure, but as marketing costs vary from location to location, what that 15% gets you varies also. In the end, you have to watch how your CI moves and either spend more to shove it up, or accept that your current level of spend is only good enough for a lower level during winter when weather delays/cancels are going to hammer it down.

There is a short-term fix though : just set-up an extra campaign for a few months over Winter and see if that supports your CI better.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.