Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: To fly or not to fly  (Read 806 times)

Offline Marksw76

• Members
To fly or not to fly
« on: March 13, 2013, 07:17:49 PM »
Is it better to fly a route that may have a low yield/low demand or is it better not to fly and keep the plane parked?

I've got some spare capacity for a twilight flight but not sure whether to bother or keep my bird parked till the morning

Offline alexgv1

• Members
Re: To fly or not to fly
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 07:36:58 PM »
These are fine when fuel is cheap. But these pointless flights are usually what cripple poorly run airlines (if not "real life commitments"  :laugh: )
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 09:18:24 PM »
What´s the start time, what´s the landing time, what´s the aircraft, what demand ? Please get a bit detailed to get proper information. There is no straight answer fitting all situations.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 09:46:51 PM »
What´s the start time, what´s the landing time, what´s the aircraft, what demand ? Please get a bit detailed to get proper information. There is no straight answer fitting all situations.

I'm guessing a "twilight flight" would be in the late night/early morning period. Does that give you any insight?
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 11:15:17 PM »
Totally.Now I can honestly advise: it depends....
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 11:17:32 PM by exchlbg »

brique

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 11:40:35 PM »
exchlbg is correct : we dont know enough about the potential flight to say one way or another, there are too many variables and if we address them all, we'll be here all night writing: over-nights can contribute a decent amount to revenue on the basis that the aircraft, staff, MX, Insurance, etc are already largely paid for, (there can be a minor staff increase in some categories for the flight, especially if its a new destination, see, a variable). So, with your fixed costs paid, you only have to worry about the flight costs (fuel, fees, etc). So, you wont need as many pax paying as much to turn a profit on the flight itself. 'Low demand/low yield' is vague :sending a too large aircraft will probably fail as it may not cover its flight costs (variable), main component being fuel (variable): sending a smaller aircraft may generate positive revenue (variable) : but we dont know the aircraft size, or the actual demand... so... its kinda variable...

You can tweak prices (introduce a variable) to increase loads, but thats dependant on the actual demand/supply levels which are... an unknown variable...  and so on...

I run a number of red-eyes and always try to : but I generally like to send them into big demand routes : its an additional flight, the demand/supply ratio will work in my favour for loads, slots will be a lot cheaper and so on. They can be nice little earners but same as all your routes : keep an eye on them; massive fuel spikes, demand drops, new competition, etc can send them red very fast if they were near borderline already or you have priced them too finely.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.