Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Number of pilots  (Read 652 times)

SirPulok

• Former member
Number of pilots
« on: March 11, 2013, 06:10:31 PM »
Hello,

I was looking around in the personnel office and I saw that I have 19 large aircraft pilots, and I only have one large aircraft, ok it's a 727 and needs 3 pilots, but that's more than 6 different crews! So my question is should I fire some of these pilots? And how many are really needed to keep cancellations/delays at a minimum for this type of aircraft?

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
Re: Number of pilots
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 06:42:56 PM »

And how many are really needed to keep cancellations/delays at a minimum for this type of aircraft?

All. Even with fully stocked crew you will experience a few delays/cancelleations due to staff shortage.
6 different crews for a single aircraft is actually a number you will also find validated in real life airlines crew numbers.

SirPulok

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 07:55:14 PM »
Huh... Didn't know that. Thanks :)

Offline Andre

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 08:12:24 PM »
6 crews for 1 aircraft makes sense. You want the plane flying 24/7. If each crew is on duty 8 hours including breaks and turnarounds, you need three different crews every day. And pilots usually have a schedule with 5 days on, 4 days off or something similar depending on the airline and regulations in the area they are operating. So if you need three crews per day, and half of them are off.. that makes a total of 6.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 08:50:46 PM »
Plus what do you do if you only hire three pilots and one of them turns up drunk Captain 'Whip' Whittaker style  :P
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

SirPulok

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 09:11:39 PM »
Plus what do you do if you only hire three pilots and one of them turns up drunk Captain 'Whip' Whittaker style  :P

Well in his case it ended well for the pax... :D

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 09:43:30 PM »
Yea one thing to note also is that staffing does NOT take into account your schedules. It assumes they are full and packed. So even if you'd had only 1 flight for the 727 of let's say 2 hours each day, you'd still need the full staff.

For the sake of keeping things simple...

Budjet

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 10:55:05 PM »
Just to add to this, actually quite accurate, consider there is 75 crew at my base where I work and we only have 3 B737s based here  ;) You have to remember that there are early and late shifts and crew are only allowed to work a certain amount of time and for only a certain amount of days too.

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 11:29:15 PM »
Do you work for Ryanair in Bremen Jules?

/okay this is rather off topic. Please answer via PM :D

brique

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 04:11:02 AM »
I beleive you also have to keep a stand-by crew available at short notice to cover sickness/absence/arrest due to failure to pay the bar bill etc...

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.