Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Marking Issue  (Read 403 times)

Offline Starfury483

• Members
Marking Issue
« on: March 10, 2013, 08:50:07 PM »
I don't know if this is a bug or not. When I started individual marking I did Newspaper and Radio for each route. Now in Feb 95 when I started on a few of the routes, using Chicago as an example, the cost was $16138 per side, so $32276 per route. Now  in September 95 using Newspaper and Radio I set up advertising for Raleigh-Durham and its $43,344 per side or $86688 per route. There is no way marketing in Raleigh a city of say 300k people should cost me more than marketing to Chicago metro where the number is 3 million people. Any ideas on this folks?

Online dmoose42

• Members
Re: Marking Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 08:55:27 PM »
Marketing costs increase as the size of your airline increases.  That's what is driving the behavior you are noting below.  It is only marginally linked to the size of the destination in my experience.

brique

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 10:06:30 PM »
yep : as your airline grows, the cost of marketing grows too : not just for individual route campaigns but also any existing general marketing too, that will tick on up as well : its easy to get caught out, thinking the initial costs is low enough to allow big campaigns : then you expand and zoom... so does the bill. Its a part of your 'Income Statement' worth keeping a beady eye on.

Offline Starfury483

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 11:29:04 PM »
OK I read that, but it seems odd. I mean think real world for a moment. On a flight from Boston to Fort Lauderdale, if you live locally most people know its Jet Blue and Southwest as direct, Delta, American, United and US Airways through a hub. So I guess it just seemed odd that it would increase to nearly double for a smaller market.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 11:42:56 PM »
And I guess the local people know that because of... Marketing, right?  :P

I see what you're saying but sometimes it isn't always wisest to think RL for this sim. Perhaps marketing costs will change one day, a further breakdown maybe. But with CI and RI as they are it will remain for now because the system works pretty well. The main point is that marketing is still a considerable expense in proportion to airline size.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.