Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Lack of slots.  (Read 802 times)

Offline Pilot Oatmeal

• Members
Lack of slots.
« on: March 08, 2013, 10:49:44 PM »
Hey guys,

Look I understand that every game world this issue crops up, and IIRC slots are released randomly etc. and we'll never know when.  I started up at EGLC to try my hand at airports with closing times, and what I really want to ask you guys is this.

Why does this airport only allow 5 departures an hour, when in reality it has on average 37 (2012, we could cut it back  a bit) departures an hour.  5 departures an hour? is that some kind of sick joke?!  I mean, I could do a better job in the tower!  5 departures an hour, is RIDICULOUS. 
I just want to have it looked into that's all, it seems EXCESSIVELY low.

---rant over ----

thanks guys,
Jordan :)

Offline AUpilot77

• Members
Re: Lack of slots.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 11:15:27 PM »
That is one arrival and one departure every 12 minutes... Even for one small runway that does seem extremely low... I think the idea is that its set as a percentage of what it will be in the future.  Unfortunately that leaves some airports with 5 or less departures allowed per hour  :-\

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 10:08:41 AM »
The game begins with a limited number of slots to hinder strong players from dominating their bases too early. The number of slots grows from time to time and will reach it's normal level a few years after the game started.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 10:47:04 AM »
Where are you basing this figure of 37 dep per hour?

As it for sure cannot be done due to the limited apron space, and requirement for backtrakcs on runway etc. (with the backtracks etc each plane needs 2+ minutes runway time for departure, and add there the arrivals too - so the true capacity for AWS, dep/h, will be somewhere around ~15/hr)

(edit, typo)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 12:42:20 PM by sami »

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
Exactly. Just counted departures on a typical monday morning between 0800-0855. Number is 15.
LCY has only one runway and one taxiway.Apron is limited.Where in the world you will manage to staple up to 30 aircrafts  on this tiny peninsula? What about ground service trucks, check-in- counters, customer related services, waiting space, customs, security checks?
Get real, please.

Offline Kadachiman

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 01:04:44 PM »
Why complain about slots, as you selected the base by assessing its worth to you in this game scenario.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 01:48:43 PM »

Their CEO seems to reckon 36 hourly movements. Although this airport is only really busy around rush hours.

In another move to help maximise the use of the runway the ATC in the Summer of 2005 introduced Ground Movement Control (GMC). Coupled with the new holding point this allowed an increase in the the sustained rate of aircraft movements to 32 per hour.

Just so we have some facts on the table here for Mr Oatmeal. It is actually amazing how they achieve this number too. I had read a great interview with their tower controller, but alas cannot find it (perhaps was a YouTube video).

Exactly. Just counted departures on a typical monday morning between 0800-0855. Number is 15.

32 movements per hour would be about 15 departures as you and Sami say (and thus 15 arrivals) but in AWS terms of slots that is correct.

Although I do agree, of course slots will begin low at such a regional airport and strategy must reflect that. The random element of slot growth will of course frustrate you if it doesn't work in your favour and you have ambitious early growth plans. Hang in there and your slots will triple by maybe 5 years time.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 01:50:41 PM »
btw. as of comparison: Gatwick is the busiest single runway airport in the world (says the article) and they can handle 54 movements per hour. Which would mean 27 slots per hour in AWS (54/2). (ref: )   ..though have to note that due to game settings the Gatwick slot count will be probably higher than this, there's a separate factor that can be used to tweak slot amounts for each game.

So there is absolutely no way that City could have 37 slots in AWS (ie. support for 74 movements/hr). Though as mentioned I do find it impossible for them to have even 37 hourly movements either in real life (using rough judgement, around 30 could be doable, as I see from AIP that they actually have a separate holding bay at the other end of the runway).

edit: oh, alex was faster than me.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 01:53:31 PM by sami »

Offline Pilot Oatmeal

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 03:42:23 PM »
Okay guys thanks for clearing some of that up, like Alex kindly supported me (I was at college) I too have read certain interviews and I got that figure from somewhere, and yes it is amazing due to the spacing.  And also thanks to sami reading that AIP, I got it from my flight guide.  I am just frustrated by the lack of slot growth you could say, I have a strategy in place but I was NEVER expecting 5 slots per hour, I just found it quite ridiculous. But I will wait my turn, as always. 

Thanks to those who constructively gave me my answer :)

Online Jetsetter

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 01:59:55 AM »
The limitation on slots is going to massively inhibit game play. While I have free reign to refresh every 10 minutes for the next few days, when I start working again I won't have 8 hours a day to sit around waiting for slots to drop. Those people that have nothing else better to do are now going to get the upper hand because he who has slots is basically god.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.