Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: DC-9-15 VS DC-9-20  (Read 1197 times)

Offline dapianoman

• Members
DC-9-15 VS DC-9-20
« on: February 04, 2013, 08:21:58 AM »
The DC-9-20 has just been made available for orders and states "The DC-9-20 is similar than DC-9-15 but with longer range." but yet it's range reads as 1510NM whilst the DC-9-15 is 1520NM?? Is there something I'm missing or is the data incorrect for one of these two models??

Looking at the stats for these two models, they seem to be almost identical but without there being an actual increase in range, the older model reads to have better fuel efficiency, cheaper maintenance costs, cheaper on landing fees (lighter plane) and cheaper to buy/lease...? Without the intended extra range, I see no reason to order the new release...  :-\

Offline ZombieSlayer

• Members
Re: DC-9-15 VS DC-9-20
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 10:41:33 PM »
IRL the -20 was intended for hot/high and short field performance. Since hot/high are not modeled in AWS, where you may see a difference is field requirements and range with a configuration other than default.
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 11:39:05 PM »
LONDON CITY!!!!!!!!

Offline dapianoman

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 12:20:31 AM »
IRL the -20 was intended for hot/high and short field performance. Since hot/high are not modeled in AWS, where you may see a difference is field requirements and range with a configuration other than default.

Ok thanks for the info JetWestInc... the stats in game do not appear to reflect the shortened runway requirement (the -20 is 30m longer than the -15) but another inspection of the two payload vs range charts does show that the -20 can carry the max payload for a longer distance before dropping off... For those who use HD seating, there does seem to be some advantage then :-)

Offline ZombieSlayer

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 12:27:26 AM »
Ok thanks for the info JetWestInc... the stats in game do not appear to reflect the shortened runway requirement (the -20 is 30m longer than the -15) but another inspection of the two payload vs range charts does show that the -20 can carry the max payload for a longer distance before dropping off... For those who use HD seating, there does seem to be some advantage then :-)

And another thing to think about, the runway requirement at MTOW is 30m longer than the -15, but the MTOW is higher on the -20 than on the -15 so a 75 pax -20 will (should?) actually require less runway than a -15 at 75 pax. I am not sure there are many examples where a real difference will be seen, but a good test of the two may be Key West (KEYW) with a runway of ~4400 feet. I would be willing to bet the -20 can take 75 passengers significantly farther than the -15 from that airport.

Don
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 03:21:36 AM »

L1011fan

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 03:22:29 AM »
The DC-9-20 has just been made available for orders and states "The DC-9-20 is similar than DC-9-15 but with longer range." but yet it's range reads as 1510NM whilst the DC-9-15 is 1520NM?? Is there something I'm missing or is the data incorrect for one of these two models??

Looking at the stats for these two models, they seem to be almost identical but without there being an actual increase in range, the older model reads to have better fuel efficiency, cheaper maintenance costs, cheaper on landing fees (lighter plane) and cheaper to buy/lease...? Without the intended extra range, I see no reason to order the new release...  :-\
I've have found the differences are so minimal, it really doesn't matter.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.