Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: How Do the Big Guys Do It?  (Read 920 times)

Offline Karl

• Members
How Do the Big Guys Do It?
« on: January 20, 2013, 08:12:10 PM »
I accept that the challenge of "Jet Age #7" is to move from piston to jet aircraft.

My airline has fewer that 70 aircraft.  I finally finished replacing all of my Martin 240s with newer F-27s.  This was relatively easy becausese both types have a similar range and turn around time.  Now, however, I am replacing my DC-6Bs with 727-100s.  This is a more complicated process because the 727 is a much faster aircraft.  Since it is faster, it requires that I pay for new slots when substituting it for the slower DC-6B.  Plus, since it is faster, I have to find an additional route by either adding more slots to another airport for a new route, or by replacing a flight now flown by a F27.  This opens up a new slot for the F27, etc.

This is an expensive and complicated process, which looks like will bankrupt me!  But that is not my point!

My questions is:  How do airlines with hundreds of aircraft manage this process?   :'(
I am amazed!

• Former member
Re: How Do the Big Guys Do It?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 08:50:46 PM »
Hmmm... Plan well ahead I guess. That and not use all your slots at once for expansion. To me this is key because you make fleet change much harder down the road when you don't have slots to adjust to the different flight times you'll face. This is probably unique to JA because speed is a more relevant factor during this era.

I phased out my starter DC6B/DC4 fleet within 4-5 years. Replacing them with Type 175s and Il-18s. The end game plan is to phase out the Il-18/Type 175/Viscount fleet with 737s srs.

Now, however, I am replacing my DC-6Bs with 727-100s.  This is a more complicated process because the 727 is a much faster aircraft.

I personally think it's easier to slowly progress from slower props to jet aircraft. (Piston > Turbo > Jet)  The speed difference from a DC6B to a 721 is huge. So is the cost of replacement. The costs of slots is high because you cant use remotely the same arr/dep times. The costs of a 721 are 3x a DC6B (aircraft value) and the 721 has higher operating costs. Which means you'll need a tight schedule to drive in as much revenue as you can. Lack of slots hinders that ability.

Overall I think taking smaller steps insures enough of a safety margin to correct problems that might occur or deal with uncontrollable variables. JA is a 30yr game. Theres no need to end up with your "final" fleet so early in the game. You have plenty of time to progress through time.

Offline freshmore

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 09:40:34 PM »
How do the big guys do it?

1. A Plan.
2. No Life.
3. Receding hair. (Caused by hair being pulled out.)
4. Dented desk. (Roughly forehead shaped dent in desk just in front of the keyboard, of which said Airway Simmer has three spare ones waiting in a box under the desk and another 3 in the bin by the door!)
5. Or if you are brique you have got some kind of Magical Flying Goat and Shaman doing all the schedules for you!
6. If you are a Soviet Based Airline you most likely won't get to this stage of your airline and you will have gone bankrupt!

Another (more serious) suggestion, say DC-6 = 2 routes and your jet = 3 routes then wait for two jets and replace 3 DC-6's. This means all those routes can be reassigned to those two jets. This is what I did, wait for a few then rearrange routes accordingly. Well I waited to 20 and then reassigned routes from my Connies to my Jets. However at large slot restricted airports Talentz's idea is probably the best one to go for. Plus always make sure you have good cash in the bank and a bit available to loan if needed! That way any losses you may incur during the fleet replacement session you have the money to do it and survive.

Offline Captim

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 10:01:48 PM »
+1   :-[

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.