Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Painful Fuel Prices  (Read 4382 times)

Offline swiftus27

• Members
Re: Painful Fuel Prices
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 02:27:45 PM »
Most of you are looking at the cost of fuel incorrectly.  It also is extremely important to look at the year the game is in.   If standard ticket prices are are 1965 prices and fuel is triple 1965 cost, then the economics grow tight.    Controlling expenses only matters if you can generate enough revenue to cover them.  

It shouldn't be that any airline alone at a major airport should lose money at 80% lfs with modern aircraft.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 02:29:55 PM by swiftus27 »

Offline Karl

• Members
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 12:37:47 AM »
In the sim it is summer - June 1966 - AND the price of fuel is killing me - AGAIN!   :o

Online ZombieSlayer

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 05:48:59 AM »
Yep, back to $83/1,000kgs. Again over double real life cost for the era. Costs in this version of The Jet Age are starting to feel like someone's sick joke....
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

Offline Karl

• Members
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 12:31:41 PM »
My airline has lost almost hafl of its value in the past two sim months.  No combination of price increase/decrease or marketing seems to provide the answer to meeting the rising cost of fuel.  Each route is making money, but at this rate.....!

Does anyone have any advice?   ???

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 12:34:40 PM »
Yep, back to $83/1,000kgs. Again over double real life cost for the era. Costs in this version of The Jet Age are starting to feel like someone's sick joke....

Im dying in NZ because of it.  There's no way that I can fly under these circumstances.  If you dont have a ton of great short haul routes, LH is broken.  I fly 90% of my routes by myself and have to discount the 'EXPECTED' ticket prices by 30% just to get my plane 70%+ full.  

The tech stop penalty is too much.  It hurts airlines with no competition too.  
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:40:33 PM by swiftus27 »

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 12:35:14 PM »
My airline has lost almost hafl of its value in the past two sim months.  No combination of price increase/decrease or marketing seems to provide the answer to meeting the rising cost of fuel.  Each route is making money, but at this rate.....!

Does anyone have any advice?   ???

Call your attorney.  

Offline Karl

• Members
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 01:10:50 PM »
I suppose it is progress whe a -$21,000 is a 96% increase in the weekly "profit"!  :(

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 01:50:42 PM »
The tech stop penalty is too much.  It hurts airlines with no competition too.  

Yep. I'm not in JA, but have noticed similar in DOTM. It should be treated the same way as an aircraft being too small. i.e. makes almost no difference on uncontested routes, makes plenty of difference when there is a competing direct flight.

Offline freshmore

• Members
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 02:08:21 PM »
Yep, I have just looked at a route I have changed from Tech stopping to direct with direct competition, it makes quite a difference! Plus the fuel burn of a Super VC10 is a lot less than B707-120.

I wouldn't say long haul is dead, I am doing very well at the moment, couple of new routes not profitable yet but they will be. One thing I have noticed is my 707-320B's are significantly better than my DC-8-33 on transatlantic routes. My fuel burn is very high for my fleet size, 14th in fuel burn table and everyone above me is significantly bigger and the next smallest is in 20th and there are still people with fleets in excess of 200 that are below that! So from my point of view I have no idea what the fuss is about, apart from smaller profits!

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 03:57:46 PM »
Your long haul isn't my long haul.  If players aren't. At Euro/US airports then we don't have tons of sh to offset the extremely low margin lh flights.   From NzAA I have to land at Faa a or PHNL just to get to north america.  I can service 3 airports in NZ with a dozen or so fokker f.27.

I purposely pick hard airports to play at.   I do it to test me and the sim.  I am NOT happy that players are forced to graviate to a select larger airports.   

Stop incenting short haul.  Or stop punishing ulh.  I can not play this sim in its current model with virtually no competition.

Offline freshmore

• Members
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 05:24:46 PM »
Never played in that part of the world, which must mean a mental note for future reference! I have got some ULH routes accross the Atlantic that are in excess of 7000nm! I would say you may have more under 6000nm US routes than me, although you have less demand than some of the ones I have got. I have some ULH that has decent profits and some that are pathetic. One aircraft is only earning me 7000USD profit per week.

I would be interested to hear other airlines who are flying ULH in this gameworld at this time to see how they are faring with their route system.

Don't understand why you are having to discount the expected fare to get decent LF's. That goes against common "knowledge" for the game, generally speaking!

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 07:13:57 PM »
Generally, as a personal rule, I don't LH tech stop. The yields are far less. As most of my tech stops are losing money. (Mostly from SXM base)

This is also quite evident in my DoTM airline where my tech stops routes are killing my airline every day.

Back to JA. LH is very different from SH. Once you go beyond 4000nm, LH changes from flying 1 daily to less and less rotations. At that point, C/F class become extremely important and the ability to take as many pax as far as possible becomes paramount.

I am not sure what the answer is for the tech stop troubles your having. Indeed tech stops should be more expensive then there non-stop counterparts (fuel wise), however there's probably a bug somewhere in pax calculation that prevents tech stops from achieving max LF% using typical strategies.

Perhaps you should kick a bug report to Sami and get him to weight in on it?

Btw, my dash 61s make north of 350k a week. Even those ZOMG fuel hugging Il-18 props still turn 2-5x there breakeven profit. I bet the biggest losers are the Comet and SE-210 fliers. Probably 701, DC81s and DC82s are not far behind.

Talentz

Offline freshmore

• Members
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 09:04:40 PM »
My 701's and Comets are doing very well thank you!

C/F pax may explain why my 707-320B's are doing better than my DC8-33, some config experimentation is in order I think!

Offline raptorva

• Members
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2013, 07:42:40 AM »
Based out of Chile I have little competition but also very few routes over 100 passengers in demand and those that do are well over 2000nm away. Currently my Comet 4 is making more money than my three F.27s simply due it flying decent routes with nice capacity without having too much spare seats. If there was a 40-50 seat aircraft with 2000+ range that could do multiple trips a day then I'd be alright here, as it is I'm pretty much just waiting for demand to grow enough to actually have routes worth flying.

Offline Karl

• Members
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2013, 02:39:04 PM »
There has been no respite from these prices.  Airlines are falling left and right.

Finally!  It is 4 Dec 66 in the sim, and fuel prices have gone down!   :)

Offline Karl

• Members
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2013, 01:32:58 PM »
In the sim it is summer - June 1966 - AND the price of fuel is killing me - AGAIN!   :o

It is now April 1967 in the sim, and we have finally gotten a lot of relief from the high fuel prices.   :)

I am not sure if the price is pre-programmed or whether it was manually maniulated.  Whatever.  Thank goodness!   :)   :)   :D   :)   :)

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.