Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Airport Slots  (Read 1682 times)

Offline ClassicNZ

• Members
Airport Slots
« on: December 28, 2012, 05:21:00 AM »
Hi, Just wondering is it normal for an airport that moves 1.7 million pax per year to only support 3 departures an hour?

My HQ Nelson, New Zealand only has 3 slots per hour which I find unfair as there is over 10 routes with 100 pax demand per day.

Any Help Thanks

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
Re: Airport Slots
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 08:45:26 AM »
Looking it up, Nelson is a level 3 airport but it also has very tiny runways at 1,347 x 45 m  which could be limiting things. On the other hand, my base in Bora Bora is level 2 with a runway of 1,500 x 22 m 5 slots/hour and Moorea is level 2 with a runway of 1,180 x 20 m and 4 departures/hour.

My HQ on Tahiti is level 3 but has the runways for major long-haul traffic at 3,420 x 45 m and thus 19 departures/hour.

All three of my bases are among the single most isolated airports in the world and none comes even close to your 10 flights a day with over 100 demand. You may want to look up the real world stats on Nelson, it's possible that it may only have a single runway despite the demand which would limit the available slots even more than the very short length of the runway.

Offline ClassicNZ

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 08:46:56 PM »
Yeah Nelson only has one paved runway Which is only 1340m*45m. So this is most likely the reason for the small slot amount .

However i still think that beacause of the high level of demand that more slots should be added. It doesnt make sense that a very small airport with 3 departures an hour can handle 1.7mil pax per year.

brique

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 09:12:09 PM »
Demand doesnt necessarily mean that's how many can be flown : its how many want to fly. Good argument for upgrading/expanding the airport, maybe, but thats not in the players control, or even the airports, if its in a poor location and cant expand.

Just to add perspective : LAE moves nearly 1mil pax on 3 departures an hour using 30-seaters ; so, its not impossible to move twice that with larger planes with a similar number of flights : btw, LAE has never had a slot added in the entire game, I somehow doubt the last 7 years of MT7 will see any get added : but its still workable, with some thoughtful scheduling.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 09:21:26 PM »
Those pax numbers are arriving and departing. You've got the airport completely full from 0500-2355, a total of 19 hours, 57 departures, 57 arrivals. 114 daily flights, 365 days in a year, that's over 40,000 flights/year. If each flight was just 50 pax, that's over 2 million pax per year.

So it DOES make sense that a very small airport with 3 departures an hour can handle 1.7mil pax per year.

Whether it should have more slots or not is a different issue.

Offline ClassicNZ

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 09:40:16 PM »
Yeah thanks for the advice. There isnt much capacity left to serve at nelson, so i can live without another 10 flights being added.

Maybe next time I will have to think about slightly lager aircraft.

brique

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 09:44:28 PM »
Look on the bright side : all those pax that dont fly are creating a nice surplus demand which means you can hike the prices to a significant degree and make more profit on those you do fly... :)

Offline TerryMcKenna

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 09:30:55 AM »
For today Thursday 10th Jan there are 24 departures from Nelson serving Auckland 10, Christchurch 6 and Wellington 8
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:33:23 AM by TerryMcKenna »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.