Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Route Pricing  (Read 1547 times)

Offline KennySmith

• Members
Route Pricing
« on: December 25, 2012, 01:24:28 PM »
Is there a way to see what your competitor is charging on their routes?

brique

• Former member
Re: Route Pricing
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 02:20:58 PM »
The simple answer is no.

As you get better at judging how pricing, frequency, etc, affects market share and such, you may be able to have a pretty solid guess at their pricing policy but, unless they choose to write and tell you, you cant see the actual figures.

Offline flerk

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 05:00:58 PM »
That should be a new feature as in RL airlines are always competing on price and monitoring others.

Maybe a future add?

brique

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 05:21:41 PM »
Its been discussed before with arguments for and against : as far as I know, there are no plans to add it.

Personally, its a moot point: yes, knowing your competitors fare policy would help you compete on that : but they would know yours too, so any move would be easily and quickly countered ; stalemate ensues, so what would be the point of it?

Offline flerk

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 08:36:39 PM »
Its been discussed before with arguments for and against : as far as I know, there are no plans to add it.

Personally, its a moot point: yes, knowing your competitors fare policy would help you compete on that : but they would know yours too, so any move would be easily and quickly countered ; stalemate ensues, so what would be the point of it?

Fair point. But it would add another dimension in the fact that who can take more loss to win a route. It could open up for subsidies as I use the profit of route A to cover the loss of route B to win the route. 

But if it has been discussed and it was decided it will not be added then it's fine too.

Offline Pilot Oatmeal

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 12:48:25 AM »
I think it's sort of ridiculous that we can't see competitor's prices, it's a major influence in modern day airlines.  But I think before we should be allowed to see competitor's prices there should be a level of service indicator... could be IFE, or other services but that should be included.

Jordan

Offline chiveicrook

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 01:38:52 AM »
but in RL prices are not "set"... I'll pay now 700$ for a flight to US in June ... but 1500$+ for the same flight if I were to buy tickets in June :-)
Not to mention service etc.

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 06:15:57 AM »
I figure we should only be able to see it if other factors were added in such as in-flight service and other incentives. In the real world one airline might have prices set to -30% with zero service and HD seating while another might be +20% but still attracting passengers with a better overall value. The stripped down sardine can appeals to the average person while the airline with 5-star service would attract more business passengers.

I offer free vodka on all my flights but there's no way to factor that in right now and probably won't be any time soon. The way people drink here in the eastern bloc, it might actually do me in added to my already very thirsty aircraft.

Real world dynamic pricing would also probably make this a moot point with fares fluctuating wildly in an effort to best fill planes. Might be nice to be able to set a range or something though.

Offline Davetg

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 04:33:59 AM »
I do think knowing route prices is relistic, Im sure Richard Brandston knows what British Airways and United Airlines prices are...the internet lol. But we are in 1977 so no internet, however we should employ people to find out the prices lol

brique

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 11:06:40 AM »
Virgin and BA knew each others prices very well a few years back... BA got a massive fine for price-fixing NA routes with Virgin., if you recall, Virgin dodged the fine by coming clean : which is why Walsh doesnt like Branson very much...

if you want to get 1977-ish, yes, they could find out each others prices, but it wouldn't help that much : certainly for a new competitor, as international routes and operators were subject to bi-lateral agreements : UK-US were limited a handful of majors, who had no need to compete on price, so did so on service instead : Domestic services were also subject to licensing and limitation : none of which can be replicated in this game.

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 12:46:53 PM »
I agree. So many factors of real life canīt be reflected.In the early years prices were fix, because there was no real competition and later on prices started to fluctuate because more channels of distribution were opened. Nowadays noone can tell a fixed fare exept for that moment you try to book a seat over the internet. It can be a complete different one the next day/ distribution channel.
This game canīt reflect the various discount possibilities like early booking, code-sharing, bonus systems and employee programs either, so it should stay the way it is IMHO.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.