Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: DC 8s not a wothwhile investment.  (Read 1248 times)

Offline TerryMcKenna

• Members
DC 8s not a wothwhile investment.
« on: December 20, 2012, 05:46:16 PM »
Several game years ago I upgraded Connies to Commets. Because of my sector routes (>2000nms) I was only able to continue offering one service per day. I have just recently upgraded to DC8s.
Again I can only offer one flight per day and at this stage in the game pax demand has not increased sufficently to support a doubling in seats offered. Also my fuel bill over the comets/connies has more than doubled/trebled.
So I have seen a decrease in LF, an increase in costs and no real benefit in my CI, which I expected to see with the latest aircraft . My most profitable are still the old connies.
So for those rushing to buy new DC8s and 707s, their appeal is limited and there might be a bit of time before the pax demand can support them.
The game world does not seem to reflect the famed 'jet effect' of the early sixties and prop aircraft still rule.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 06:46:55 PM by TerryMcKenna »

exchlbg

• Former member
Re: DC 8s not a wothwhile investment.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 06:22:05 PM »
There is no CI rise just because you use a "modern" model of aircraft. There might be a slight rise if fleet age gets younger overall.
CI mostly is influenced by marketing and flight punctuality.
Jets have their advantage an longer routes, about doubling the frequency you can offer.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 06:24:37 PM by exchlbg »

Offline Tiberius

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 06:49:50 AM »
Hello friend in HNL,

I started that Honolulu to Hong Kong a couple game years ago and it had I think 68 average daily demand, its been creeping up ever since and was at about 110 daily last time I checked. it's gone up enough I hope to flag stop a dc8 out there.  Hopefully this is happening on other routes, and while I "think" a couple others have gone up significantly too, I can't quite remember each one.  Hopefully demand will support jets soon as I get some dc8's starting in '63.

Those flights to LAX aren't making 2x what the prop was? Hmmm that could be an issue for me as well.

Offline ZombieSlayer

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 10:47:02 PM »
Keep in mind, if you are scheduling your long haul flights properly (ie. 7 day schedules) you should be able to get about 1.5 times the routes out of a DC-8 vs. a Starliner or a Britannia. You can't compare a route flown by a mach .42 prop with a route flown by a mach .8 jet without taking into account the extra routes it can fly (if properly and fully utilized.)

Don
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 12:05:11 AM »
The DC8-10, on the other hand, are not great planes.  Just like the 707-120.... only good for a short time while tons of research and development were poured into bigger planes and better engines. 

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.