Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Winds and range? Typical routing and range?  (Read 1050 times)

fenwayair

• Former member
Winds and range? Typical routing and range?
« on: November 27, 2012, 12:35:36 AM »
Ive done some searching on the forum but cant find this anywhere:

are winds a factor in figuring aircraft range in this sim?  i found that winds and flight time has been incorporated into a previous update.  Has winds and range or winds and typical ATC routing been figured into ultimate range?

Offline freshmore

• Members
Re: Winds and range? Typical routing and range?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 01:25:59 AM »
I'm not sure about wind but I know that there is no simulation of ATC routing, the routing is done As the Crow Flies! So your range is worked out as the Crow Flies! In a way it would be nice to have all the air corridors around the world modelled so our flight paths followed these routes, but I suspect that would be very difficult and potentially bad for the server load!

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 02:45:59 AM »
Ive done some searching on the forum but cant find this anywhere:

are winds a factor in figuring aircraft range in this sim?  i found that winds and flight time has been incorporated into a previous update.  Has winds and range or winds and typical ATC routing been figured into ultimate range?

Winds figure into flight time, though they don't change day to day. But flight time doesn't change range. A flight just over the nominal range will be restricted to the same number of pax in both directions, even though one leg might be 2 hours longer than the other. I've never actually tried to check, but I think on long, max range flights with a headwind, you might see planes burn more fuel than they should be able to carry according to MTOW.

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 04:10:05 AM »
Winds don't factor into the effective range of the planes.

I think they should, but it would also greatly affect range calculations...

brique

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 04:24:12 AM »
But weather is calculated into your delay/cancel figures, so, in a roundabout way, that might be viewed as occasional flight curtailment due to strong headwinds reducing range beyond reserves.

I do recall, back in the day when I travelled UK to Tenerife regularily, the occasional unscheduled tech-stop in Portugal to top the tanks, reported by the pilot as 'due to headwinds'.

fenwayair

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 01:30:02 AM »
Has there ever been any serious discussion on incorproating more realistic features into aircraft performance?  Obviously, its all very advanced right now.

Ive searched the forums and can find nothing.  I havent been around long enough to really understand what can be modeled and what would be too complicated.

Aircraft range isnt a concentric circle from the departure point but that what seems to be modeled in the sim.  Weight, wind, direction of flight, density altitude all effect airport performance and range.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.