Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Can your planes actually crash?  (Read 759 times)

Offline Atlantische Zeiler

• Members
Can your planes actually crash?
« on: November 23, 2012, 05:26:37 PM »
Can they? Otherwise, what's the point of insurance?

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
Re: Can your planes actually crash?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 07:37:06 PM »
No.

For realism.

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 12:50:23 AM »
Something that stays to be implemented. Still Iīm glad it isnīt yet. Just imagine the hit on your CI, even if it was not your fault....
For many airlines in RL crash was starting point to BK.

Offline Mr.HP

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 01:44:11 AM »
I wouldn't want a crash implemented on the sim. Airlines will be on crisis time if one happens. Luck is just a small part of being successful, but in this case it plays too much important role

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 10:22:05 AM »
As far as for German law, it's simply not allowed to crash aircraft from real manufacturers in a game. I can't imagine law is very different from this in the EU.

Honestly, I would like such random events. It would break the static AWS gameworld experience and make people to react and really work as a CEO.

brique

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 10:43:39 AM »
Didnt know that about German law : but I can see that manufacturers wouldn't like it happening.

Its a difficult one : I would think it is a genuine risk for an airline and perhaps should be reflected in the game : many have traded on their safety records : Quantas, for example, so it has also been a 'plus' for company image : the big 'minus' is something like Concorde ; which also traded on its 100% safety record until that day one hit some runway debris and in no time it was grounded and gone.

But you are right, its a game and, as such, suddenly getting a message your A380 to Rome has crashed with total loss of all aboard and your CI is now -50, the FAA have grounded all your planes for inspection and the Italian courts have issued an arrest warrant for your CEO would not make for happy gamers.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 11:04:04 AM »
That would be a bad feature.

But imagine this:
Your maintenance crew moral dropped below 80 and you maybe have missed a check and got unlucky and one of your aircraft crashed.

The game gives you three (or five or hundred...) possibilities to react and also prompts you the true reason (manufacturer mistake, low morale, pilot error, bad maintenance, weather...); in our example it was bad maintenance:
- lie to the press ("We didn't do anything wrong!")
- be honest ("It was our fault and we will spend XXX money to improve maintenance and pay YYY money fees")
- blame the manufacturer ("XY made a production error")

If you be honest nothing big happens. You lose money and maybe a medium CI hit (-15%).

If you choose one of the other variants you may be lucky - only a small CI hit (-7.5%). But there's a (good) chance your actions will be noticed and you have to pay HUGE money and a big CI drop (like -40%).

It would give you as the CEO options to decide from and you are responsible for having luck, for being honest or it's your fault the whole thing is blown up.

The biggest problem when an airline has a crash isn't the insurance money. It's how to deal with it.

brique

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 11:50:10 AM »
heheh : moral dilemma time : I like that :)

it dont always turn out predictably: Quantas got hammered badly for grounding its aircraft when they had that engine issue recently, though in my view, they did the right thing and the problem wasn't totally their fault : result : bad day at the office for the Quantas CEO. Then you have that ditching in the river in New York : outstanding crew action in getting it down in one piece and evacuating the pax, the aircraft behaved in staying afloat long enough, prompt rescue service reaction, all on live TV : result : a feel-good story and I doubt , PR-wise, the airline suffered much at all ; its crew were shown to be excellently trained and superbly professional, just the kind, as a passenger, you want around if things go bad.

Offline sergio

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 10:00:40 AM »
i did not find the appropriate topic, so i decided to post here. just for information:

737-400    - 158 pieces - all own
767-200ER - 95 pieces  - all own

liability insurance           - 12 772 776 USD
90% insurance (optional) - 31 595 000 USD
-----------------------------
747-400   - leased - 1 unit
747-400D - leased - 2 units

90% insurance 1 172 267 usd
-----------------------------
paradox!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 10:02:56 AM by sergio »

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 12:06:27 AM »
paradox!

About 50k/month for each owned plane, and 390k/month for each leased plane? No, not a paradox.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.