Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Demand - NOW Over Supply?  (Read 2076 times)

Offline ZombieSlayer

• Members
Re: Demand - NOW Over Supply?
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 06:28:42 PM »
I canīt possibly remember every post since 2010 nor your personal PMīs,and it was never staked in the written game rules, so itīs not me you are calling a blatant lyer.
Interesting to hear the person you are really calling that.

Not calling you a liar at all, but I can see how you took it that way and I apologize.

Sami says it was a bug, yet in the ATB forum and via message to me Sami agreed that a single flight did not give any airline a competitive advantage thus routes with single daily flights would be excluded from the rule.

Oh, and please inform me as to what kind of person I am.....I would really like to know.
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 06:37:51 PM »
I canīt. We are all just hacking sentences into our computers, so I canīt tell your face nor tone of voice.
I will always try to stay out of personal sphere for that reason.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 06:48:38 PM by exchlbg »

Offline Karl

• Members
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 06:41:07 PM »
My point is:  How do we survive until demand increases AND still enjoy the simulation?

Of the 300 possible players, not everyone can be based in the biggest cities with the highest demand.  When demand at even a city like JFK to most cities is only 10 pax per day.....!

I participate in the sim to enjoy my recreation time.

If all I can do is look at my one or two measly aircraft eking out a profit which is not enough to expand (by the way-to cities with not enough demand) why pay to participate?   :-\

Offline ZombieSlayer

• Members
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 07:11:35 PM »
I canīt. We are all just hacking sentences into our computers, so I canīt tell your face nor tone of voice.
I will always try to stay out of personal sphere for that reason.

I understand.

No personal attack against you was intended, and again I apologize. My goal is never to upset anyone for the exact reason you mentioned-you can not see any ones face or hear a tone of voice so things can be taken out of context very easily.

This rule change really upset me and I have lashed out a bit because of it. Good idea and will eventually be a good change for the game, but making the change in the middle of live game worlds was very poorly thought out on Sami's part.

My point is:  How do we survive until demand increases AND still enjoy the simulation?

Of the 300 possible players, not everyone can be based in the biggest cities with the highest demand.  When demand at even a city like JFK to most cities is only 10 pax per day.....!

I participate in the sim to enjoy my recreation time.

If all I can do is look at my one or two measly aircraft eking out a profit which is not enough to expand (by the way-to cities with not enough demand) why pay to participate?   :-\

Karl,

PIT is a mediocre second base at best even in Modern Times scenarios, so it may be a good idea to find a larger HQ. Even routes like LAX-JFK are only at 400 pax/day right now. Demand will increase, but slowly until the mid -late 60's then a decent boom will occur. By the end of this game world, you could easily operate a 100+ aircraft schedule from PIT, mix of props and mid sized jets, but it would take patience.

Don
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 07:25:36 PM »
To JetWest: I understand that, it was obvious you were mad about the subject  >:(. I wonīt need therapeutical treatment  :'(.
Funny how something totally hypothetical as this game can move you emotionally, that includes me, too.

Offline Karl

• Members
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2012, 07:51:17 PM »
So...my choice is to enter a major airport with decent demand, but one that is already over populated- so that my aircraft will be only 10% full - or to establish a hub in a lesser city and fill only 10% of my seats!

In any case, I have to sit by and "watch the grass grow".

This is fun?   :(

brique

• Former member
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2012, 07:53:28 PM »
karl : if you are going for the small aircraft model, you have to be even more careful where you base ; for starters ; the USA and most of Western Europe is bad news just because labour costs are so high ; they'll eat you out of house and hangar : you'll also find marketing costs are greater too, making achieving a decent CI tougher : add in outrageous slot costs at the majors and its no wonder few manage to survive.
You'll be better off looking for a less-developed country with a reasonable number of airports you can service ; international traffic being the bonus, not the necessity. Thats purely a function of having less range to work with. So, Latin America is a place to look, as is Asia, Oceania has a few that fit the bill. PNG has prospects, 20+ domestic airports within easy range ; some international traffic if you want to expand beyond there, to Aus, NZ, and Asia. And yes, you can build a decent airline out of there, I know :)
Greece, and that cheaper end of Europe, has some decent prospects too.
There are bases out there, you have to look, make notes, file for future reference ( eg : I noticed my current JA base whilst playing in MT with some time to spare so looked around a bit. And maybe you find out they aint so good after all ; or they may be a little gold-mine.

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2012, 08:24:19 PM »
If you seek action with millions of potential PAX, Jet Age definitely is not your game.What do you expect from Sami ? Quadrupling air traffic to
absurd numbers for that time, just for entertainment?

Offline chiveicrook

• Members
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2012, 09:04:34 PM »
JA definitely needs fixing in terms of demand.

1. Japanese traffic seems disproportionately high

2. Soviet traffic is nonexistant and there are no major airports there (Vnukovo should be the most important airport with international traffic until Sheremetyevo opens with a switch like Haneda->Narita implemented; IRL Vnukovo remained main airport for couple years after Sheremetyevo's opening handling millions of pax). There should be enough domestic demand in whole soviet union for at least 10 million pax a year in the 50s - going up to at least 50 mil in the 60s. The oldest soviet airline in current JA carries 100k pax a year.

3. Small routes need tweaking - it takes ages to get pax on 20pax route even with significant marketing efforts. At the same time I can drop a 50 seater on heavily competed on 500pax route and get near instantaneous 100% LF even with very low RI/CI.

etc.

I know that data is based on a fixed year but some kinds of exceptions/dividers/multipliers should apply to JA.

Offline tcrlaf

• Members
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 11:14:52 PM »
So...my choice is to enter a major airport with decent demand, but one that is already over populated- so that my aircraft will be only 10% full - or to establish a hub in a lesser city and fill only 10% of my seats!

In any case, I have to sit by and "watch the grass grow".

This is fun?   :(

Well, you could always use the real-life airline option from the late-50's/early 60's period, and buy a Senator or two to keep your competition down, like Juan Trippe/PanAm did.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.