Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Demand - NOW Over Supply?  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Karl

• Members
Demand - NOW Over Supply?
« on: November 21, 2012, 04:07:26 PM »
 :(

What is going on?  Demand is going down!

I just got a message that almost all of the routes that I have been serving for game-time months now have an over supply of my flights!  Demand has gone down on this long list -but only in one direction - from the destination airport to my hub.

What?

Offline chiveicrook

• Members
Re: Demand - NOW Over Supply?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 04:09:17 PM »

KM449

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 04:22:59 PM »
oh finally everyone has a chance. and I already gave up my beloved airline due to massive oversupply of a big miami competitor.
Now I am in fiji with 2 17pax props and filling all demand. :-\

Offline do328jet

• Members
    • RFR Travel
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 08:22:54 AM »
Crazy ,blocked my space available on each route even when i use a 17 seater. Wait till i get bancrupt or my credits have gone.
bye , bye airwaysim >:(

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 12:43:35 PM »
Guys, why are you oversupplying your routes so much? 

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 12:57:06 PM »
Indeed. The rule has ALWAYS been there, but all aspects of it just have not been enforced automatically.

KM449

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 04:22:06 PM »
all those cheaters are complaining now.take it like a man !!! you did not
obey the rules and this is the consequence. every of my airline went bankrupt because of players like you.

Offline Karl

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 04:36:01 PM »
I started this thread to seek an answer to a question...no to complain.

My airline has since gone bankrupt, and I have a new one; however, my question still stands: why did demand go down?

Before I went bust, I got 2 messages.  Each listed what turned out to be all of my inbound routes.  The messages indicated that I had more than a monopoly on the routes, and that I needed to reduce capacity ASAP.

How could that happen?

I had been flying most of the routes for most of 1957 with no problem.  Most routes had a demand of 10 or 20, and whle they were not full, they were profitable. 

In previous sims once in a while I would get a message about over capacity on a new route, and I would attend to it right away.

How could I get such a message on my whole route system?   ???

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 05:12:12 PM »
Demand sometimes fluctuates because of random economic development, itīs not always only going up. So if you are very near the limit you are oversupplying in those cases. Sami said, he triggered the system because he found a bug where the warning was not intialized although it should have. In- and outbound traffic figures in many cases are different and sometimes they even move differently.
As we saw from widely used practice oversupplying (more than 200%) for a lot of users made sense for whatever reason except just cheating.
Maybe game system is a bit too easy about the costs, when flying with nearly empty planes makes an economic sense. So not to make it too complicated for the new/less experienced players airlines in this game can be successful doing things that in RL would wipe you out of the skies real soon.
So it stays obeying game rules for game balance.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 06:11:44 PM by exchlbg »

brique

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
Demand does fluctuate, mostly is rises over time, but it seems it can also fall for no apparent reason, for an equally random period of time.

There are also date-specific events in some games, such as 9/11 - now, that IS a demand drop :(

One question : low prices can generate some extra demand, have you increased your pricing at all and scared them off?

I feel for you, I fly small birds myself on some quite thin routes : it only needs a day or two (in either travel direction) to fall beneath that 50% of supply mark to get into this danger zone : I'll certainly be using the new seat-blocking feature as insurance on any routes that seem marginal.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 05:17:28 PM by brique »

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 05:14:14 PM »
Firstly, it is normal that the demand levels fluctuate a bit up and down in the short term, but in the long run the demand grows - usually.

The charts and pax levels you see are also estimations and their accuracydepends on your staff.

Both these combined, you may have unintentionally oversupplied the routes.

brique

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 05:19:09 PM »
Firstly, it is normal that the demand levels fluctuate a bit up and down in the short term, but in the long run the demand grows - usually.

Okay, now that 'usually' has got me worried...

Offline ZombieSlayer

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 05:23:18 PM »
I started this thread to seek an answer to a question...no to complain.

My airline has since gone bankrupt, and I have a new one; however, my question still stands: why did demand go down?

Before I went bust, I got 2 messages.  Each listed what turned out to be all of my inbound routes.  The messages indicated that I had more than a monopoly on the routes, and that I needed to reduce capacity ASAP.

How could that happen?

I had been flying most of the routes for most of 1957 with no problem.  Most routes had a demand of 10 or 20, and whle they were not full, they were profitable. 

In previous sims once in a while I would get a message about over capacity on a new route, and I would attend to it right away.

How could I get such a message on my whole route system?   ???

Karl,

Demand did not go down, the rules changed mid game. There used to be an exception to the 200% rule that excluded routes with a single daily flight from being required to stay under 200% of projected demand. With the update to the system Sami installed yesterday, that single flight exception was removed making your profitable, little airline no longer "legal."

Makes perfect sense, right?

Don
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 05:38:52 PM »
As sami said, there never was a rule excepting single flights from oversupply warnings, it was a glitch in system, which didnīt send out warnings
although it should have. It was a common practice of players to mistake that as a rule. Loopholeīs closed now -drastically,ok- now all try to go on without it.

Offline Karl

• Members
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 05:47:55 PM »
So everyone had the same challenge?

You mean every airline serving cities with a demand of 10 or 20 with anything larger than a DC 3 got this message too?

How come everyone is not bankrupt?

Offline ARASKA

• Members
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 05:50:57 PM »
So everyone had the same challenge?

You mean every airline serving cities with a demand of 10 or 20 with anything larger than a DC 3 got this message too?

How come everyone is not bankrupt?
Yes they did. They are not Bankrupted because now you can block out seats to prevent you from getting these warnings.

Offline ZombieSlayer

• Members
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 05:51:04 PM »
As sami said, there never was a rule excepting single flights from oversupply warnings, it was a glitch in system, which didnīt send out warnings
although it should have. It was a common practice of players to mistake that as a rule. Loopholeīs closed now -drastically,ok- now all try to go on without it.

This is a blatant lie. It was not a loop hole, it was designed that way. I know this because in Air Travel Boom in 2010, when the 200% rule was programmed in, I personally contacted Sami about routes that sustained a single daily flight. He AGREED that there was no competitive advantage to a single daily flight and exempted any route operated with a single daily flight from the 200% rule. There were forum posts about it, even, but they were in the "Announcements" section of the ATB forum which is not archived.

Right about now I wish I had saved all my outbound PM's so I had actual -proof- but the fact is, when the 200% rule was programmed in, it was designed to allow routes operated by a single daily flight to be exempt from the rule.

Don
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 06:07:15 PM »
I canīt possibly remember every post since 2010 nor your personal PMīs,and it was never staked in the written game rules, so itīs not me you are calling a blatant lyer.
Interesting to hear the person you are really calling that.

brique

• Former member
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2012, 06:09:21 PM »
well, whatever the reasons, past or present, the single-flight rule no longer applies : personally, I have no issue with it either way : I dont over-supply to that extent because I consider it a waste of tin and resources better spent chasing actual unfilled demand elsewhere. I dont consider it a dis-incentive to competition either : I actually think it a sign of weakness, the player is flying empty seats and must be under-pricing to get anything they can onboard ; ergo ; they aint making as much money as they could be : thus they are more of a target, rather than less.

I do see one area which I would like explained further though : part of the pricing changes was, as I recall, about being able to 'grow' demand : a good offering would attract demand above the stated level : part of adopting that strategy must involve a degree of over-supply to accommodate any such 'demand growth' : I can see that being a tricky balance to achieve.

With reference to worlds like JA : demand is pretty low all round ; I'm opening routes in the hope of being there to take advantage when demand does grow ; with a full RI, slots paid for, etc. but, of necessity, over-supplying is unavoidable in that case. Well, seat-blocking will work fine for me, but I do see it being an issue for newer players less familiar with the route-creation now having to consider that in planning as well.

Offline ARASKA

• Members
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 06:15:40 PM »
I canīt possibly remember every post since 2010 nor your personal PMīs,and it was never staked in the written game rules, so itīs not me you are calling a blatant lyer.
Interesting to hear the person you are really calling that.
He never called anyone a blatant lyer, he just said it was a blatant lie.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.