Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Demand Challenge  (Read 930 times)

Offline Karl

• Members
Demand Challenge
« on: November 05, 2012, 01:04:59 PM »
I have read elsewhere about the current lack of demand in Asia.  The demand everywhere is low, in my opinion.

The problem, as I see it, is that the simulation is not set up to deal with historic realities.  It has basically been set up and created for the realities of commercial aviation of 2012.

In 1956 almost every airline had routes of many small stages.  Each airliner made many stops at small cities on the route between major ones.  We cannot do this in AirwaySim.  It is a hub routing or nothing.

In the 1950s airlines, routes, and airfares were also regulated. Many routes also received government subsidies to keep them open.  None of this is available to us in this simulation.

Even in the 1950s, however, not even airlines with subsidized routes could remain viable with demand of only 10 or 20 passengers.  One flight to a town per day has never been enough to make money, yet that is what the simulation demand requires.  This makes it hard in the simulation - especially since a small aircraft is almost doomed to fail even if it is full.

Interestingly, this has all been documented in a recent magazine (I am not sure that I am allowed to name the nagazine which bills itself as a global review of commercial flight )article on the original Frontier Airlines of the USA.

Fortunatley, in the simulation demand does grow with time, and an airline can make some money even if the palne is not full.  The question is: will an airline be able to hang on long enough to survive.  It is a matter of survival - which, in a sense, is true to history.

On the other hand, I have never been able to figure out how a few airlines become so huge while the vast majority barely eke out a living!

So, it is going to be a challenge for most of us - especially newbies- to make an airline work and keep out of bankruptcy in this environment.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
Re: Demand Challenge
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 01:34:55 PM »
Im in Auckland.  It takes 2 CV 440s to handle all the demand from the country.   All other domestic routes are under 15 pax demand.   I hear ya.

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 03:44:31 PM »
All very true.That´s why I see game starts during the 50ies as problematic and don´t join Jet-Age games only late, when there is some remarkable traffic.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 05:44:25 PM »
Just a small sidenote about the "small aircraft do not work" comment.. It's a VERY different thing in the early game worlds.

See my "Admin Test Airline". One Wayfarer, two routes with minimal demand (very inefficient scheduling), and I'm just breaking even (and that plane is seriously oversized for my tiny airport). Though nothing really happens there, so most boring if I'd be really playing .. (well could get some smaller planes to accompany that one, but I'm not playing "for real").
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 05:46:42 PM by sami »

Offline Captim

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 08:43:26 PM »
You can turn a profit on such tight routes. You are scheduling for now, AND, for what you know will happen to traffic numbers.

Wait and maybe spot an opening later on, OR, plant your flag, dominate your base and wait for the world to come to you...

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.