Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Lack of passengers out of Melbourne  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Air Australia

• Members
Lack of passengers out of Melbourne
« on: November 05, 2012, 12:45:29 AM »
Has anyone else reported the problem with Melbourne. The Melbourne sector has been the 4th busiest sector in the world for many years, yet The Jet Age #7 game only provides about a tenth of the seats that should be available out of this port.  The lack of seats also affects other sectors out of this port.

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
Re: Lack of passengers out of Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 01:53:57 AM »
AWS data is based on the year 2002 or so and is dated back.

Offline Air Australia

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 07:40:27 AM »
AWS of data base needs to be corrected. How can anyone with Australian bases ever play this game when the second biggest city has only a tenth of it's true capacity.

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 11:06:14 AM »
So get some data from an official source (not wikipedia etc.) and post it in the feature forum. Maybe sami will implement it.

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 01:42:55 PM »
This game is not reflecting reality, it is based on real airport traffic numbers at a certain date and everything else, future and history dates, are stated and evolve by computer formulas. So itīs understandable that game cannot (and should not) reflect exact numbers of every single airport worldwide at every given day of history/future.
Besides that I doubt that traffic was 10 times as high during the given era, as long as you donīt prove your words by secured facts.
Jet Age games always tend to be hard to play in the beginning, because traffic level worldwide is so low and air travel was competing
with ships. And I would like to lead your attention to the fact, that in those days air travel itself was structured completely different from today, where there are "open skies" and free markets (still not everywhere).Air travel those days was characterized by "national carriers" ,often controlled or even run by gouvernments and limited by international treaties. So game canīt reflect reality and it shouldnīt.Take situation "as is" and donīt try to replay history.Besides, this is game nr.7 of itīs kind and many players before you managed to play it, nothingīs impossible !
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 07:26:04 PM by exchlbg »

Offline AndrewM

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 09:05:24 PM »
I've based my airline southernstar out of Melbourne Essendon this game, and have noted lower than expected demand, (but don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the challenge!)

Essendon airport is replaced as Melbourne's primary airport in 1970 when Tullamaine airport opens.   I figured this was the reason why.

Offline Air Australia

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 08:00:18 PM »
Melbourne Essendon was the only major airport in Melbourne until 1971 when all of the major domestic airlines moved to Melbourne Tullamarine. Traffic levels at Melbourne Essendon until that time were about 10 times the level reflected by The Jet Age #7 which makes this game very frustrating and difficult to play if you are only interested in Australian bases.

Having worked for a major Australian airline during that time I can assure you that my assessment is factual and correct.

Airwaysim is the best Airline Simulation game I have ever experienced, yet it would be much more enjoyable if the realism was more accurate. Getting an Oversupply warning while operating only 2 services a day with a small capacity aircraft is frustrating when there are limited options for alternate services to other ports.

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 08:36:07 PM »
Sure , but we just donīt take any unproved facts as given, even if you assure us.
You were working at the airport at that time ? I would be glad welcoming some active senior with this mostly adolescant crowd.
And even if traffic was higher at any time in Australia (or anywhere else) , it doesnīt matter anything for the game. Anyone else throughout the world is having the same problems right now. Try to deal with it. Sami wonīt throw the whole concept over board for some individual frustration. This kind of argumentation wonīt lead to anywhere in any game world, at any time.
You wonīt find any space in the world that has/had exact the same traffic numbers/destinations as in parallel game worlds.
Especially if you insist only playing at "your" airport, no matter what, you tend to always reflect RL figures. Wonīt work, frustration guaranteed.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:53:21 PM by exchlbg »

Offline AndrewM

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 12:08:46 AM »
When I signed into this game world, after accidentally selecting Moorabbin! (i did my PPL training there, YMMB was just automatically typed in !), I selected Essendon, and then took a look around at the demand, while I was surprised at initial demand between Melbourne and Sydney at 150pax per day, when compared to Brisbane and Sydney having 1,000+ per day, I chose to keep my base at Essendon and play the game from there.

I'm glad for the challenges being presented to us in this game, and doff my hat to you on your market share on the Adelaide to Essendon route!  (however, just checking now, I see you have closed one of your routes).   I've taken advice from some of the team members in the alliance my airline is a 'proud' member of, and have a strategy in place to make the most of the demands that I am presented with.   

If we were running a real airline today, would we have the luxury of hindsight to know that some major event for the decline in numbers, or a cause to drive them is just around the corner?  This isn't real life, let's play the game with the scenarios that are presented to us, and make the most of the situation.   Who know's what will happen to the demand in 1 - 2 years time ; )

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.