Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Will European demand grow?  (Read 1237 times)

miln0039

• Former member
Will European demand grow?
« on: October 30, 2012, 04:51:09 PM »
Looks as though route demand in Europe is pretty low right now when compared to some other major airports (Asia is a great example with some routes at 2,000 PAX per day). Is this a characteristic of Europe being not long past WWII and still in depressed economic times?

And more to the point - will this demand grow over time do we think?

connect2ashes

• Former member
...and how about demand in general?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 05:49:56 PM »
I had the same question (about how soon demand in general will start to grow, and how quickly)... I'm one of four airlines based in Detroit (which was a pretty happening city in 1955!), and the four of us have basically already saturated all of the routes of any significance.  Some routes have been flooded with 4x the level of seat demand.   ???  I admit that I'm part of the problem (I've got 18 planes in my fleet with 4 more on order), but it just feels like the seat demand is too low for the number of people in the game.  At this point, I feel like I've pretty much done everything I can do... there's no more seat demand (or very little), so I'm presuming we just sit back and do nothing until demand grows...?  With current demand, I certainly can't get any more planes

And yes, I know I can shift times around to match my competitors' routes, undercut their rates, and try to force them off certain routes (or put them out of business).  But it's the start of the game, the four of us are all of a similar size, and frankly I'm not in the mood to start a ticket & route war that will likely end up being just as destructive to me as it is to the airline I target. 

Can any more experienced players tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks,
Frank  (Northland Air)    ::)

Talentz

• Former member
Re: Will European demand grow?
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 05:55:49 PM »
Demand grows over time... but I wouldn't expect eye catchers for at least 2-3 yrs. Don't think any gameworld in AWS grows that fast.

But, you have to think of it this way: Least your not in LHR... lol!!

Talentz

connect2ashes

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 06:04:12 PM »
Holy crap... SIX airlines based out of LHR?!?  I bet the first three who based there aren't very happy with numbers 4, 5 and 6! :'(  Must be some tense moments between CEOs in the First Class Lounges.  Oh wait, it's 1955, there ARE no privilege lounges...!!  LOL

-Frank

miln0039

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 06:07:46 PM »
Holy crap... SIX airlines based out of LHR?!?  I bet the first three who based there aren't very happy with numbers 4, 5 and 6! :'(  Must be some tense moments between CEOs in the First Class Lounges.  Oh wait, it's 1955, there ARE no privilege lounges...!!  LOL

-Frank

LHR is 1955 was some glorified tents!!

I do have a three lots of slots at LHR though which is more than I have managed in any other gameworld!!

Thanks for the clarification Talentz, I was just curious as to whether it was a WWII specific hangover which Sami had modeled.

Offline Daveos

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 06:25:21 PM »
Here's the graph of UK demand, which is broadly the same as European:

From this website:  http://www.statistics.gov.uk/STATBASE/ssdataset.asp?vlnk=7249 you can see the UK's growth, which pretty much follows the world's trends in aviation.

You can download an excel spreadsheet of how the UKs passenger figures have risen between 1952-2002 and the graph produced is below.  Interestingly, the oil crisis, Gulf War and 9/11 are all very noticeable by the flats on the graph.  The world version of this is what AWS is roughly based on, although Sami has said he tweaks things here and there, but it pretty much explains why your pax figures continue to rise.  Over-supplying a route also induces demand a little too.

Offline chiveicrook

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 06:59:30 PM »
European demand while puny (especially compared to Japanese domestic demand I remember from JA6) is understandable...
What I can't understand is why Soviet demand is so low.. or why Vnukovo - the most important Moscow airport even years after Sheremetyevo's opening - is basically useless...
There aren't any big airports in SU in AWS before Sheremetyevo  >:(
As a comparison Aeroflot carried 4 million passengers in 1950 and over 20 million in 1962!

I think I need to start pestering Sami about it again  ;D

brique

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 07:01:20 PM »
European demand while puny (especially compared to Japanese domestic demand I remember from JA6) is understandable...
What I can't understand is why Soviet demand is so low.. or why Vnukovo - the most important Moscow airport even years after Sheremetyevo's opening - is basically useless...
There aren't any big airports in SU in AWS before Sheremetyevo  >:(
As a comparison Aeroflot carried 4 million passengers in 1950 and over 20 million in 1962!

I think I need to start pestering Sami about it again  ;D

But does 3mil one-way flights to Siberia really count?

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 07:19:03 PM »
As far as I know there are no real figures available for the CSSP, so sami wasn't able to implement it.

miln0039

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 07:25:55 PM »
But does 3mil one-way flights to Siberia really count?

LOL. Dark.

Hwoarang

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 07:43:36 PM »
That is why I don't started in Soviet Russia, it is quite useless at the moment, maybe when domestic A-B-C-D flights are allowed, where passengers can fly A-C or C-D, I may start a local airline operating the An-24 or smaller aircraft for regional ops. Until than, no SU for me!

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.