Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Fuel prices on the rise...  (Read 2811 times)

Offline Andre

• Members
Re: Fuel prices on the rise...
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 05:54:06 AM »
Yeah, I'm paying millions just to gas up a bunch of tiny turboprops. I needed a challenge though. Made a few budget cuts and lowered prices to boost LF.

I'm not sure if lowering prices to boost LF is a good idea right now. Higher LF means more fuel burn. You're flying more pax and burning more fuel without making much more money.

If you raise prices, you might get fewer pax traveling, but they each pay more. And you burn less fuel. Just my humble opinion.  :)

Offline TPMP

• Members
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 09:49:45 AM »
Fuel is spiralling out of control! Any sign of it coming down?

Offline SAC

• Members
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 11:37:17 AM »
Fuel is spiralling out of control! Any sign of it coming down?

I hope not...we need the men sorting from the boys and fuel at $1200 will do that for sure  ;)
...it's not over until I say it's over

brique

• Former member
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 02:40:28 PM »
I hope not...we need the men sorting from the boys and fuel at $1200 will do that for sure  ;)

$1281 : maybe some of those 'men' gonna be squeaking soon too....

citywalker

• Former member
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 02:50:11 PM »
Obviously, if one has a hedge contract, it will expire on the day when fuel prices have reached an all-time high. Yay.

Can't complain though. Just have to operate efficiently.

fenwayair

• Former member
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
That happened to me.  Hedged 20% at 348 USD.  Expired five days ago and watched a whole lot of green numbers start to turn red.

Good times.

Offline [SC] - King Kong

• Members
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 03:16:13 PM »
I had 9 of my 14 planes go into C check in 2 months game time. That was expensive, not to mentiond the loss of income and now this fuel as well.... Barely making bucks hehe

Offline SAC

• Members
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 03:31:20 PM »
$1281 : maybe some of those 'men' gonna be squeaking soon too....

Maybe they will, which is a shame, but I'll be just fine which is the main thing  ;D
...it's not over until I say it's over

brique

• Former member
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 03:48:02 PM »
Maybe they will, which is a shame, but I'll be just fine which is the main thing  ;D

dunno what all the fuss is about... now, the price of champagne, that's something to be moaning about.... extortionate... I can barely afford to fill my swimming pool these days... :(

Talentz

• Former member
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2012, 07:46:37 PM »
Sweet! Fuel costs reached 51% of my companies weekly expenses!! Never seen that happen before  :laugh:

May actually have to raise prices to keep my profit in line...

Talentz

mean123

• Former member
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2012, 12:28:16 AM »
Me too, I have had a healthy margin but now barely into the green at the end of the week. whats the highest I can raise prices without it taking a BIG effect on my LF?

Online ArcherII

• Members
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2012, 01:22:47 AM »
Me too, I have had a healthy margin but now barely into the green at the end of the week. whats the highest I can raise prices without it taking a BIG effect on my LF?

Do it on a route-per-route basis. Start rising in 5% increments on a period of time (to see the effects). If you keep having high LFs then you can rise 5% again, and so forth. Wouldn't hurt to have a handmade sheet to note down which routes you are rising/lowering prices.

PS: nice fight at Orly, aye?

mean123

• Former member
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2012, 01:37:29 AM »
HAHA, Its you! lol. I finally got higher market share and then you bloody overtook me again lol. Anyway, great competition. Thanks for the advice BTW.

brique

• Former member
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 06:18:16 PM »
Anyone else notice that the fee for hedging is now a constant +7.4% regardless of amount hedged, unlike before?

which means if you want to hedge when fuel is say $1000, you'll be paying $1074 : does make deciding if/when to hedge even more brain-clenchingly awful....

mean123

• Former member
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 08:40:12 PM »
Yeah i Noticed that. very annoying

brique

• Former member
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2012, 08:59:31 PM »
yep, current MT fuel prices, you'll need an immediate $100 rise to save $26 And if the price drops $100, you'll paying $174 over the odds : nope, makes no sense at all to even consider hedging now.

mean123

• Former member
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2012, 01:52:22 AM »
I know, They may as well just take the feature away when its this high.

Offline pndsc

• Members
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2012, 09:50:21 PM »
Out of interest, whats the best strategy when it comes to saving money on fuel?

Do the bonuses for each method (contract and hedge) stack together or am I better off just going for a flat ~7% off of prices?

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2012, 10:55:35 PM »

Acquiring the right aircraft and not flying them too far.

As for Fuel Contract and Hedges - yes, they stack. With the new flat 7.5% fee for hedging, it has become a lot more unattractive to hedge now. I used to security hedge 10% in about equal intervals to protect myself from spikes, which worked quite well for most of the game world so far. But with the new high fees this has become inviable.
I will now pay market rate (with contract obviously) for the time being.

Offline schro

• Members
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2012, 02:33:31 AM »

Do the bonuses for each method (contract and hedge) stack together or am I better off just going for a flat ~7% off of prices?

Yes, the two methods will stack, but prices are near not all that favorable for a hedge in my mind.

Best way to save fuel is to fly shorter flights, as revenue doesn't scale with stage length.

With the new flat 7.5% fee for hedging, it has become a lot more unattractive to hedge now. I used to security hedge 10% in about equal intervals to protect myself from spikes, which worked quite well for most of the game world so far. But with the new high fees this has become inviable.
I will now pay market rate (with contract obviously) for the time being.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the fee is not new. It has been in place since the feature was implemented and is based upon the LENGTH of time that you are hedging in that particular contract (basically a fraction higher than .6% per month). The main differrence is that the fee didn't seem as big when fuel was a lot cheaper. Now that it is in the stratosphere, it makes it SEEM like the percentage is higher, but its really the result of basic multiplication....

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.