Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Joining the real game....  (Read 998 times)

AJfromLA

• Former member
Joining the real game....
« on: October 14, 2012, 03:30:08 AM »
Well I just joined Modern Times #7 since my Demo is up. I did pretty good on the Demo, wish I could have brought my 23+ Million with me, lol

So what do I do now? I am trying to find and airport, they all have A LOT of market share but few based there. Does that matter? I am trying to find a base and some have 3-5 operators per airport.

Any help would be appreciated and can someone also give me the scoop on Alliances?

Offline Andre

• Members
Re: Joining the real game....
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 03:39:28 AM »
Did you try Beginner's World? It's a good way to start after the Demo.

But since you're already here, here are my tips:

- Read every page of the manual.
- If you wonder about something, search the forums.
- Find an airport that isn't crowded. Remember that if you base in the EU, you can open 2nd bases in any other airport in the EU. As a beginner I wouldn't choose the biggest and most crowded airports.
- Use suitable aircraft. Some people like to run a niche airline, for instance only flying smaller turboprops, or almost purely long haul, depending on the demand out of the base you choose.
- Don't lease longer than to the next D check. Also, you might want to consider buying your aircraft after a while, so long leases aren't always that wise.
- The production lines are very backed up on popular a/c types like A320 and B737NG. MD-90, B717 and B737 classics are good aircraft that are available now. If you don't have competition on your routes, and you're not flying long haul, don't be afraid to configure your aircraft with high density seating. 
- Stick to one fleet type to start with, because with every new aircraft type you get, the commonality costs increase dramatically. I wouldn't be comfy with any less than 50 of each fleet type, 30 as minimum.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 03:47:21 AM by AndreBue »

AJfromLA

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 04:08:18 AM »
I wanted to play this one since it was already in the 2000s. Silly reason I know.

I am planning on starting a 737 fleet and starting routes just in NA first, then maybe down the line moving up. I really appreciate the advice and I am going to give the manual another read!

AJfromLA

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 12:41:57 PM »
 :-[ Well this is not going to go like I planned, lol

Joining the game late does have the factor of everything being taken. I really wanted to start an airline in the US but if all fails, I may have to pack my bags, lol.

Offline Andre

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 02:01:29 PM »
It can be tough.. :) I don't blame you for choosing this world. It's still early days and lots of opportunities even though its packed. But remember that you can bankrupt 4 times (I think), before you have to pay credits to re-enter the game world. There's no shame in bankruptcy if you feel like you chose the wrong base. Check the other bases before you declare bankruptcy. You can't get much info on the airports when you're in the starting menu.

If everything is taken, try to find a base with some high demand with only one or two other carriers. Check their fleet types, maybe they've only taken the long haul demand? Or maybe only mid haul? Maybe there are tons of 60-100 pax routes available? Lots of opportunities.

Even though the demand is filled, you can add aircraft and get up to 60-70% load factor which can be profitable.

And remember that if you feel another airline treats you unfair (for example adding flights to thinner routes you just opened just to squeeze you out), give Sami a PM.

I've looked at your airline.. it seems like you're flying only one route per day with each of your B738? The key to success is among other things to utilize your aircraft to the fullest, so that you can make more money from each plane. Every minute your aircraft is sitting idle on the tarmac costs you money.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 02:10:19 PM by AndreBue »

Offline Andre

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 02:24:38 PM »
This is how you do normal scheduling for your aircraft. (There is another way called 7-day scheduling but its more complicated)
Remember that you don't have to "make room" in your schedule for your B checks, the aircraft simply doesn't fly that day while the maintenance is happening. Personally I like to spread the checks out during the week so that not all your aircraft go into maintenance at the same time. Also, I usually stay away from scheduling B-checks on Mondays and Fridays, because those days have the highest pax demand, so you'll want all your aircraft flying those days.

AJfromLA

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 12:02:28 AM »
Well.....

Looks like its time to start over!

AJfromLA

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 12:16:53 AM »
Just going to step out this game for now... need to do my homework!  ;D

Offline Mr.HP

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 06:02:42 AM »
Personally I like to spread the checks out during the week so that not all your aircraft go into maintenance at the same time. Also, I usually stay away from scheduling B-checks on Mondays and Fridays, because those days have the highest pax demand, so you'll want all your aircraft flying those days.

Your schedule looks just like mine, spreading the B check all around 2 3 4 6 7, in the same order. Hmm, if everyone thinks the same, it's not a bad idea putting the B check on 1 and 5, to avoid harsh competition from everyone, and fly on the day people do B check  ;D

Offline Andre

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 12:11:44 PM »
Your schedule looks just like mine, spreading the B check all around 2 3 4 6 7, in the same order. Hmm, if everyone thinks the same, it's not a bad idea putting the B check on 1 and 5, to avoid harsh competition from everyone, and fly on the day people do B check  ;D

Haha.. good point actually. Maybe everyone thinks the same way.. hmm..  :P

mean123

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 04:06:50 PM »
I'm doing the same thing too, need to change strategy  ;D

Offline Meicci

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 04:42:14 PM »
Looks like I have to stack my B-checks to mondays and fridays.. ::)

Offline CUR$E - God of AirwaySim

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 06:04:26 PM »
Be most successful without doing B-Checks!

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 11:34:14 AM »
I've always said screw it and done all my maintenance on Saturdays unless the schedule of a particular aircraft forces me to move it to Sunday or Wednesday. I'd say it's 90% on Saturday.

brique

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 02:04:46 PM »
I've always said screw it and done all my maintenance on Saturdays unless the schedule of a particular aircraft forces me to move it to Sunday or Wednesday. I'd say it's 90% on Saturday.

having tried all the pretty patterns and alternate days and whatever : my conclusion is B-checks still take one whole day every month and A-checks take a whole 5hrs every week : so, the only concern should be to schedule them for when it hurts revenue least, on the day with lowest demand, which actual day that is doesn't really matter : that said, if you have several planes covering a destination, you can reduce the inevitable revenue loss slightly by staggering their checks so the ones left flying can get improved LF's by picking up the slack on that day.

You are going to lose a days revenue every month, however you schedule it : tinkering may regain a little, but it may not really be worth the effort : its a cost of doing business, like route strategists, death and taxes... we are all doomed in the end.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.