Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [-] List World Events in "World Events"  (Read 1877 times)

Offline EsquireFlyer

• Members
[-] List World Events in "World Events"
« on: September 19, 2012, 04:13:20 PM »
Feature request: Major world events which are modeled in the game should be listed in the "World Events" news tab.

For example, 9/11, when it occurs. Or EU Openskies, when it occurs. These events have major effects on gameplay. These events are much more important than, for example, a single airport opening, or a small island declaring independence. Those events affect a few routes, but 9/11 affects most, if not all, routes in the game. And 9/11 and EU Openskies are also clearly more important than some of the events currently listed in World Events (e.g. a country changing its flag without declaring independence).

Similarly, if the 1980s Middle East crisis is modeled (which it seems to be, given the current massive spike in both fuel prices and interest rates in Jet Age right now, but I am not sure if that is specifically because of this crisis or if it's a coincidence), it should be listed a World Event as well.

The introduction of this feature would serve three purposes:
(1) Make the "World Events" tab more relevant and useful.
(2) Avoid leaving the players wondering whether 9/11 has happened yet, or whether there is a global economic crisis going on (which are things that a real-life airline would know, at least after the event occurs).
(3) Help to alleviate newbie confusion/frustration about why they are suddenly seeing big demand drops and receiving nastygrams from the Anti-Monopoly Bureau about routes they previously served within the rules.

And, of course, things like 9/11, EU Openskies, and the 1980s Middle East crisis are all "world events" in the ordinary sense of the term as well, and, realistically would be covered in newspapers.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 04:16:08 PM by sami »

Nick E.

• Former member
Re: List World Events in "World Events"
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 06:47:33 PM »
+1

Offline Infinity

• Members
    • Aviation Awareness
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 01:55:25 PM »
I'll second.

Offline Airbus101

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 02:37:13 PM »
Argee

Offline swiftus27

• Members

Offline EsquireFlyer

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 09:07:10 PM »
Similar requests:

http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,8951.0.html from   Mar-8-2009
http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,9735.0.html from   May-30-2009
http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,19574.0.html from Mar-26-2010

None of those requests from 2-3 years ago are similar to this request. Those requests seek either (a) having the World Events tab list things that are not modeled in the game, such as news stories, just for player entertainment, or (b) modeling more events in the game, such as Olympics, World Cup, etc.

My request does not encompass either (a) or (b). Instead, my suggestion is much narrower and simply requests that major events which are already modeled in the game, also be announced in World Events after they occur, rather than being modeled in a silent and/or confusing manner.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 11:40:05 AM »
only 9/11 occurs.  Find another groundshaking event in AWS. 

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 04:10:45 PM »
only 9/11 occurs.  Find another groundshaking event in AWS. 

Maybe more could be modelled:
- stagflation in the 70s
- fuel crises of the 70s
- economic boom in the 80s
- S&L crises and subsequent recession in early 90s
- Internet boom in late 90s
- Internet bust in 2000
- 9/11 in 2001
- SARS (a short term bust) in early 2000s
- financial crisis in 2008, subsequent economic slow down / recession

Offline EsquireFlyer

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 08:27:11 PM »
only 9/11 occurs.  Find another groundshaking event in AWS.  

Done. EU Openskies.

And, "only 9/11 occurs" is not a justification for why 9/11 should not be included in the World Events tab when it occurs, as 9/11 is clearly a World Event.

Offline NovemberCharlie

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 08:33:58 PM »
Maybe more could be modelled:
- stagflation in the 70s
- fuel crises of the 70s
- economic boom in the 80s
- S&L crises and subsequent recession in early 90s
- Internet boom in late 90s
- Internet bust in 2000
- 9/11 in 2001
- SARS (a short term bust) in early 2000s
- financial crisis in 2008, subsequent economic slow down / recession

- December 2004 tsunami...

brique

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 08:40:43 PM »
I'd support this idea, and take it a bit further : it can be difficult, at times, to keep a sense of 'time-line' in the game : 'world events' let you know 'where' you are, historically : I'd then say that listing events like Olympics, World Cups, and such, does give that sense of time passing.

I'd also add that whilst 9/11 was a major 'event', so too was the Tsunami that took place on Boxing Day, 2004, and, more recently, the Japanese tsunami/earthquake had an even greater impact regionally than 9/11 did. The SARS scare also impacted heavily in the Asian region. Lets not get too 'western-centric' in our thinking, its a global game, after all.

Offline ARASKA

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 08:48:11 PM »
Hurricane Katrina, 2011 Tohoku Earthquake/Tsunami... there are a lot more that could be modeled

brique

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 08:53:45 PM »

And our old favourite bryanair ('He's not the messiah, he's a short person of limited charm') nemesis : the Icelandic volcano ! And no, I aint even gonna try to spell it....

Offline Jona L.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 09:31:23 PM »
And our old favourite bryanair ('He's not the messiah, he's a short person of limited charm') nemesis : the Icelandic volcano ! And no, I aint even gonna try to spell it....

Ejafjallajökull you mean? (At least I think it was spellt like that) I'd hate that.... hated it enough IRL, not being able to fly, no reason to pull that up every MT :P

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 10:03:57 PM »
I would prefer events like that coded at random, but with an announcement (like newsflash) with what we deal right now.

Offline EsquireFlyer

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 10:36:23 PM »
Okay, so now, all of these suggestions for new events, written in reply to swiftus's post, actually are like the threads that swiftus linked.

My original suggestion is not about adding more events (which is covered in other threads), but about announcing the events that are already modeled in the "World Events" tab, such as 9/11 and EU Openskies.

If Sami wants to add more events, I would support that as well; but, if Sami does not want to add more events, I still think that the events which are already included in the game should be clearly announced as such, using the "World Events" tab, because they are world events.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 10:52:22 PM »
Okay, so now, all of these suggestions for new events, written in reply to swiftus's post, actually are like the threads that swiftus linked.

My original suggestion is not about adding more events (which is covered in other threads), but about announcing the events that are already modeled in the "World Events" tab, such as 9/11 and EU Openskies.

If Sami wants to add more events, I would support that as well; but, if Sami does not want to add more events, I still think that the events which are already included in the game should be clearly announced as such, using the "World Events" tab, because they are world events.

Dude, there'd be like 3 events total.  Please.... 

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 11:01:49 PM »
Maybe Sami could create some generic ones and fire them randomly:

- boom (demand increases and higher rate)
- recession (demand shrinks)
- fuel prices up (a lot)
- fuel prices down (a lot)

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 11:58:33 PM »
Maybe Sami could create some generic ones and fire them randomly:

- boom (demand increases and higher rate)
- recession (demand shrinks)
- fuel prices up (a lot)
- fuel prices down (a lot)

This, for fact, I know he can do.   

Offline EsquireFlyer

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 12:54:24 AM »
Dude, there'd be like 3 events total.  Please....  

Dude, if there are only 3 game-changing events, then only 3 events would need to be added to the World Events tab, which should not take a huge amount of resources to accomplish.
I didn't say that the events currently in that tab should be removed; I just said that the major events which are modeled should be added.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 12:57:05 AM by EsquireFlyer »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.