Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: [ok] Route creation  (Read 944 times)

markj23

• Former member
[ok] Route creation
« on: August 20, 2012, 01:24:24 AM »
With the new rules about not being able to pay for slots if you don't have the cash, would it be possible to have a system where a particular route is saved as a "draft" for later?

The way I picture it is that you go through the process of creating the route, assigning it etc. but it doesn't fly until you go back in and pay the appropriate costs

or the cash could automatically come out on its first attempt to fly. if you still dont have the cash at that point, it could try again the next day etc until you do, or until you manually pay for them
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 11:23:30 AM by sami »

Offline ARASKA

• Members
Re: Route creation
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 01:27:59 AM »
With the new rules about not being able to pay for slots if you don't have the cash, would it be possible to have a system where a particular route is saved as a "draft" for later?

The way I picture it is that you go through the process of creating the route, assigning it etc. but it doesn't fly until you go back in and pay the appropriate costs

or the cash could automatically come out on its first attempt to fly. if you still dont have the cash at that point, it could try again the next day etc until you do, or until you manually pay for them
+1
I was thinking of this earlier today. This could help so if you complete a route but don't have the money for slots, you don't have to re-do it later.

markj23

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 01:33:40 AM »
+1
I was thinking of this earlier today. This could help so if you complete a route but don't have the money for slots, you don't have to re-do it later.

Especially if you have a route open in a window waiting for the cash to come in, then accidentally close it :(

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 01:58:49 AM »
I also was thinking about this in running my North America Challenge airline.  I don't think saving a route as a draft etc. would work though.  The input pages are written in PHP as I understand it, which means sami can make the fields populate based on what is in the URL.  By storing this information in the URL, players could then click a link to add the flight as a new bookmark, then when the time is right they can click on their bookmark and have the flight info already populated.

For example, if you wanted to open a route everyday from ATL to ORD at 1200 with a 60 minute turnaround with a Dash-8 and no tech stops the URL would be ".../KATL/KORD/-/-/?days=1234567&depart=1200&turn=60&fleet=106" (106 = Dash 8 fleet index #).

Not only would this be easy for sami to implement as it is a few simple $_GET commands to read the URL, but a player could do some serious strategic planning by creating routes for future planes and bookmarking them.  I can order 10 aircraft and then create 10 folders in my bookmarks section and put the planned routes in there so when they are delivered I just have to do a few mouse clicks.

markj23

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 02:13:27 AM »
By storing this information in the URL, players could then click a link to add the flight as a new bookmark

That would be alright if you only used the one device. I access AWS across 3 computers, 2 phones and 1 iPad (depending on the day, time etc)

From what i can gather most of the "you cant fly that route if you don't have the slots" is already in place so it wouldnt be "too hard" to have the route created as a "draft" for later purchasing of the slots

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 03:06:20 AM »
That would be alright if you only used the one device. I access AWS across 3 computers, 2 phones and 1 iPad (depending on the day, time etc)

From what i can gather most of the "you cant fly that route if you don't have the slots" is already in place so it wouldnt be "too hard" to have the route created as a "draft" for later purchasing of the slots

Either way, saving a link to a route with the info in it is going to be easier than saving the actual route :)  If you have all those devices, I assume you have some sort of cloud storage.  I used a laptop and a desktop at home, plus a workstation at work.  Using Chrome, you can sync bookmarks across all devices using your gmail login.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 10:37:25 PM »
How about if I'd simply add an option where you can create a route but not get any slots for it?

So route is created without slots, can't be flown, but you can later edit it and editing automatically buys the slots for it, if available.

(this is rather simple to make, just by adding one checkbox)

brique

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 11:04:37 PM »
How about if I'd simply add an option where you can create a route but not get any slots for it?

So route is created without slots, can't be flown, but you can later edit it and editing automatically buys the slots for it, if available.

An excellent option! I for one would welcome it as a useful way to plan out a schedule of routes for new aircraft that could be rolled out as they, or the reqd slots, arrive : One caveat would be the potential to 'speed-up' slot-grabbing in our busier airports, as 'one click to edit, one to confirm' would enable each route almost instantly, that could get some backlash though it would help folk avoid the 'place-holder' method debated in another thread recently.

Additional thought : as opening a new route/destination can have staffing implications, would they also be delayed until the route is fully confirmed and flyable?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 11:08:46 PM by brique »

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 12:21:59 AM »

How about not even a checkbox--how about just having a button at the bottom that says "buy slots" instead?  If no slots are available, the button is disabled or an error message comes up.  Going in and editing the route is just extra steps and uses up extra resources on the server that have already been used to create the route in the first place.

splotch

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »

Yes, please! I created some routes earlier but didn't quite get them flying in time for the slots to not expire. It was super easy to  rebuy the slots through the "manage routes" notification tab, but it would be great if I didn't have to purchase the slots in the first pace. What you're suggesting (with the purchasing without slots) is essentially equivalent to being able to draft routes. It's also realistic, I would imagine - I don't suppose major airlines order 100 planes then sit around and don't plan out the routes until they're delivered!

And this also makes 7-day scheduling far easier - it sucks to have 3 sitting around waiting for the other 4 new planes to come in, but it also sucks to do the 7-day scheduling for just those three, and then come back later and create the other four days. This way, I can do it all at once and just only buy the slots when I need them.

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 11:20:22 AM »
added

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.