Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Aircraft Specs  (Read 883 times)

Offline JonnyAngel

• Members
Aircraft Specs
« on: August 19, 2012, 08:50:40 PM »
Question all,

I know sami and the team have a pretty exhaustive mapping of aircraft specs to airfield requirements, etc. Just wondered if there was anyway to flag if we saw something that didn't really match up. I only noticed it in this challenge because its North America specific. Trying to fly Q400s in to Toronto City Centre (YTZ). The game says that Q4s are limited to 62 pax due to runway requirement, but having worked ;D for an airline that flies out of that airport, I know that it and its competitor both fly fully loaded Q4s with 70seats.

Its no biggie, just found it funny. Anyway to get this updated? Anyone else find any other of these little inconsistencies?

exchlbg

• Former member
Re: Aircraft Specs
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 09:03:42 PM »
Where is your bird going to ? Longer way - more fuel,more weight.

brique

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 09:22:05 PM »
YTZ has a runway of 1218m : dash8Q400 at mtow needs 1400+ : sorry, but something is getting left behind if they loading full pax on them.

Offline cmdrnmartin

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 09:23:37 PM »
I can offer some insight here.

A fully loaded Q400 can not depart from CYTZ.

Many things go into determining how much weight you can safely get off a runway.  The manufacturer has graphs and tables of performance, which you compare to real world conditions.  The warmer it is outside, the less performance any aircraft is going to get.  Barometric pressure, wind, runway surface condition, aircraft OEW (aircraft of the same type weigh different amounts), departure procedures, TORA, TODA, etc.  It all factors into the RTOW.  On a short runway, the RTOW is always lower then the MTOW, sometimes differing by 1000s of lbs.

On hot days in Summer, Porter (the airline you speak of) blocks off seats, to ensure the Q400 can meet the RTOW for the runways in CYTZ.  I think Sami's interpretation is good at the moment, it presents a realistic operational picture for operating out of Billy Bishop.

edit: Forgot to mention fuel.  A short trip with a good alternate, or no alternate, requires less go-go juice in the wings, so you can get more payload on an aircraft.  A longer flight is going to eat into your Ramp weight and consequently limit your payload on a short runway departure, especially on with stupid Noise Abatement like CYTZ.

The Community around Billy Bishop needs to go on a long walk off a short pier...  I might be biased here.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 09:26:27 PM by cmdrnmartin »

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.