Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: AirBettis - An AWS walkthrough  (Read 6678 times)

Offline Sanabas

• Members
Re: AirBettis - An AWS walkthrough
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2012, 07:51:25 PM »
Jacking up the prices 10% across the board has made a significant difference. Now making close to 4 million most weeks. Have been letting planes build up, as I've been a bit busy. Will try and work out where the new base is going and open it sometime today.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
CVG actually looks very tempting as a base...  :P

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2012, 10:07:11 PM »
Bettis has returned to Indianapolis. 26 million to open the base, and the jump in staff costs is shown below. In both cases, I have 50 planes scheduled, and 15 sitting idle. All are at Pittsburgh. All that has changed between the two screenies is opening the base, I'm yet to move a single plane.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2012, 10:25:09 PM »
Doing my plan from Indy now, and will schedule 15-20 planes (15 currently idle, a few more being delivered in the next couple of weeks) in one hit.

I have discovered I just made another entry in my 'how not to fuel hedge' series.  :laugh:

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2012, 11:04:20 PM »
CVG actually looks very tempting as a base...  :P

Come on in :)  To my own surprise, I've been absolutely killing it with all CRJs, even with $1000+ fuel.  I'm turning very strong margins and now that RI has maxed out on most routes and I've overcame the overhead costs of running CRJs, I'm growing like mad.

The only error I may have made is that I have been leasing the beat up used CRJs and C-checking them before delivery to get them up to par in order to secure lower monthly leases.  On the pax graph for Week 48 I dropped 23,000 pax for two weeks because I had a mass C-check as a result of this.

My fleet commonality costs are also next to nothing :)

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2012, 11:22:09 PM »
Come on in :)  To my own surprise, I've been absolutely killing it with all CRJs, even with $1000+ fuel.  I'm turning very strong margins and now that RI has maxed out on most routes and I've overcame the overhead costs of running CRJs, I'm growing like mad.

Might go there for 3rd base, if one is warranted. The all-CRJ fleet and very low CV is what makes it look tempting as a base. Though not so bad, as you're down to only 5 -200s.

You've got 37 planes vs my 50, assuming all yours are scheduled. Revenue is ~5mill/week less. Fuel is near identical (though I am paying near $1000/tonne, not the sub $800 market price - stats say 5680 for you, 3920 for me.  :laugh:). Actually, your fuel costs look very low for 5680 tonnes/week. 3.8 mill/5680 = just $670/tonne. I assume the current fuel use stat is due to new planes, that weren't drinking fuel yet in your screenie. Your staff are 1 mill cheaper, and close to 2 mill with my new base. Marketing is 1 mill cheaper too. Your staff training is barely 25% of mine, thanks to the single fleet.

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2012, 11:38:53 PM »
Might go there for 3rd base, if one is warranted. The all-CRJ fleet and very low CV is what makes it look tempting as a base. Though not so bad, as you're down to only 5 -200s.

You've got 37 planes vs my 50, assuming all yours are scheduled. Revenue is ~5mill/week less. Fuel is near identical (though I am paying near $1000/tonne, not the sub $800 market price - stats say 5680 for you, 3920 for me.  :laugh:). Actually, your fuel costs look very low for 5680 tonnes/week. 3.8 mill/5680 = just $670/tonne. I assume the current fuel use stat is due to new planes, that weren't drinking fuel yet in your screenie. Your staff are 1 mill cheaper, and close to 2 mill with my new base. Marketing is 1 mill cheaper too. Your staff training is barely 25% of mine, thanks to the single fleet.

I'm in process of switching everything over to CRJ1000s.  The 200s are going to stay because they are only 50 seaters and are flying 50 pax routes with less fuel burn than a 700/900/1000.  I am not going to be buying any planes and just cashflowing it with leases--the game world isn't long enough to capitalize on owning CRJ1000s and I don't plan on holding on to anything but the 200s at the end of the day (which I could buy for 20 million, but I'd rather lease new 4 CRJ1000 with that cash instead).  I'm currently under contract with fuel for market price -6.8% so I'm paying just over $700 today.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2012, 11:47:21 PM »
The contract price is included in fuel too. But that might only be 100k/week, depends on your contract. I still haven't taken one, keep waiting for something really good. Best I have at the moment is 6.4%, 400k, for 20 months. But that would only actually save me about 30-40k/week overall. If not for my hedging issues, it would just be breaking even. My other 2 offers are clear money-losers, I'd be 120-150k/week worse off.

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2012, 12:36:38 AM »
The contract price is included in fuel too. But that might only be 100k/week, depends on your contract. I still haven't taken one, keep waiting for something really good. Best I have at the moment is 6.4%, 400k, for 20 months. But that would only actually save me about 30-40k/week overall. If not for my hedging issues, it would just be breaking even. My other 2 offers are clear money-losers, I'd be 120-150k/week worse off.

$50k/week :) 

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2012, 02:33:05 AM »
$37 million in slot fees later, and all my planes are scheduled again. New staff numbers are attached, for 70 scheduled planes. I'm back up to #4 overall for fleet utilisation, despite the all shorthaul fleet, averaging 4+ round trips/day.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2012, 02:35:02 AM »
And the jump in commonality costs, without receiving any new planes:

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2012, 02:37:28 AM »
That commonality jump is significantly less than 10%, and is effectively nil. It's really just the inbuilt penalty to staff that make a 2nd base less profitable.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2012, 11:38:03 PM »
So, I'm actually losing money some weeks now. Only a little, but I've spent a 60 million lump sum to go from 3-4 million/week profit to breaking even. I'll post some of the income statement graphs later. My Indianapolis plane view is attached. Which shows the issue nicely. Low LFs, minimal profits on the planes themselves, and then the extra staffing costs account for 3 million/week. Plus 500k/week in extra loan payments, as I ran out of money when buying all those slots. So actually, without the loans, I'm still making a bit of profit every week. RIs from Indy are all at 25 or 28, so the profits should slowly build back up as they climb. Will be interesting to see in a couple of game years if the 2nd base is actually profitable by itself.

Offline EsquireFlyer

• Members
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2012, 12:42:36 AM »
That commonality jump is significantly less than 10%, and is effectively nil. It's really just the inbuilt penalty to staff that make a 2nd base less profitable.

So the "15%" quoted on the base opening page is not accurate?

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2012, 03:25:33 PM »
Profits are picking back up as RI climbs. Though still not up to the level it was prior to opening the base. Without loans, profits were 2.5 mill, then 3.4 mill, then 1.3 mill in B-check week. Revenue is ~35 mill, 33 in B-check. 6 new planes to schedule now, I've got 15 mill in the bank still even after the 9 mill that the staff are about to get. So no need for more loans yet. I'm up to nearly 18% (with the 2 HQed at 32 & 27) of the marketshare in Indy.

miln0039

• Former member
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2012, 02:47:03 PM »
This is a very interesting thread and very useful as I'm doing something similar in MT7 (or trying at least!).

How do you find doing the red eye flights is effecting LFs? I ultimately only have limited supply where I'm flying (sometimes only 1 flight per day per destination) so question whether putting a flight in at the dead of night will actually be beneficial - higher utilization yes, but only if it results in higher cash? Plus you have to employ more staff if you fly through the night no?

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2012, 05:37:28 PM »
So the "15%" quoted on the base opening page is not accurate?

Reason is, the extra commo only applies to planes stationed abroad, not to all.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2012, 05:44:25 PM »
This is a very interesting thread and very useful as I'm doing something similar in MT7 (or trying at least!).

How do you find doing the red eye flights is effecting LFs?

As I posted earlier, they were execellent on undersupplied routes. I try to avoid them if they'll be the only flight, though it's possible there are some. I'll usually try and put them only on routes that handle at least 3 flights daily. I've been ignoring my airline, other than to order the occasional batch of new planes to keep lines open. Think the AN-140 line is probably closed now though, as I haven't logged in for too long. Profits have been steady, I own quite a lot of planes, so CV is steadily going up despite quite a lot of unscheduled planes. Basically, it's really boring and so I've been avoiding it.  :laugh:

I ultimately only have limited supply where I'm flying (sometimes only 1 flight per day per destination) so question whether putting a flight in at the dead of night will actually be beneficial - higher utilization yes, but only if it results in higher cash? Plus you have to employ more staff if you fly through the night no?

Even a half full flight is likely to be making some money. And no, it doesn't need more staff. Things like pilots, cabin crew, etc are based purely on the number of planes you have flying. Doesn't matter if they fly for 1 hour/day or 16. Pretty similar for most of the other staff, though they also get a bit higher when you have more destinations. But overall staff numbers are essentially identical for the same sized fleet, regardless of how efficient that fleet may be. Adding night flights doesn't add to staff costs, so as long as the night flights themselves make money, they should be increasing overall profit.

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2012, 05:56:27 PM »
I think ground staff and marketing is effected by number of destinations, so there are more costs, if you fly red-eye as single service, although I donīt have exact numers.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2012, 05:58:56 PM »
OK, just had a quick look. I have 160 mill in the bank, profit is around 5-7 million/week on 40-45 million in revenue, CV is up to 650 million, and all of that is with 22 planes sitting on the tarmac, 78 of them flying. 36 are owned (27 an-140/9 q400), 64 are leased (34 14s/30 q400). I have just 10 routes that are below 45% LFs, and just 5 of them that make less than 3k/day, 20k/week. A lot of night routes make significantly more than that. MSP-PIT flies from 0040-0415, ticket price is above default, and for the last month, it has never sold less than 60 Y seats, and sells all 64 about half the time. All 3 C seats are sold each & every night. I supply 186 seats daily (3 turboprops, 2 during the night), comp supplies 149 seats (single a320 during the day), and there are around 360 daily pax. Pie chart split is 57% to me, 43% to him.

AN-140 line has ended, q400 line is still going. Think I'll just schedule the 22 I've got at some point, buy out some leases, and let airline run until the world ends.

With my 78 flying turboprops, I am ranked #36 for revenue, #15 for CV, and mid 20s for pax numbers, both year to date and overall. Not too bad for an all turboprop airline running on minimal effort.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.