Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Flight delays/cancellations  (Read 616 times)

mean123

• Former member
Flight delays/cancellations
« on: August 08, 2012, 03:31:35 PM »
Hi,

My delays and cancellations have gone through the roof. I was getting them last month mostly due to weather and scheduling so i changed my scheduling so that all my flights had less than 1% chance of delay due to scheduling and it has got worse. Am I just unlucky? Why is this happening? It is stopping my company image from growing and I am getting very frustrated!

Any suggestions guys?

Thanks
Gary.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
Re: Flight delays/cancellations
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 03:46:06 PM »
Did you also make sure that you used the 1% delay chance at your HQ?

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 03:55:22 PM »
OK, had a quick look. You HAVEN'T changed all your scheduling in MT. Flight 021 to Frankfurt on a 732 has a turn of just 45 minutes. Flight 023 has a turn of 35. 11, 13 & 15 all have turns shorter than 1%. You'll still have plenty of delays on some of those flights.

mean123

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 04:37:44 PM »
Thank you, I have just done what I can with those flights. A lot of my delays and cancellations are occuring on flights with adequate turn time at 1%. I understand that sometimes this may happen but its happening more than I thought it would. There are 2 aircraft (ones you pointed out) which is difficult to change unless I drop flights and a couple flights due to curfew at my airport but these done seem to be too badly affected. Most of these are at a 4.4 - 8% chance but it is definitely happening more than 8% of the time. My punctuality is at 79% but I will say that 40% of delays and cancellations are due to weather. I only expected an overall delay or cancxellation due to scheduling of around 6%. Do you think i would benefit overall by dropping some flights on some routes to make all flights less than 1%?

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 04:59:48 PM »
Click on Flight Delays:
http://www.airwaysim.com/game/Routes/Delay

And see where majority of delays are coming from.  It is Winter in Northern Hemisphere, and there are a lot of extra delays due to weather.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 05:04:31 PM »
Thank you, I have just done what I can with those flights. A lot of my delays and cancellations are occuring on flights with adequate turn time at 1%. I understand that sometimes this may happen but its happening more than I thought it would. There are 2 aircraft (ones you pointed out) which is difficult to change unless I drop flights and a couple flights due to curfew at my airport but these done seem to be too badly affected. Most of these are at a 4.4 - 8% chance but it is definitely happening more than 8% of the time.

Fair enough. I didn't try and reconstruct the DHC routes. Your plane flying 01/03/05/07 looks good, only a single 55 minute turn between 06 landing and 07 departing. If you look at the route info, you can click on expanded statistics, see it for the last month, and manually count how many delays/cancels from scheduling you've actually had.

My punctuality is at 79% but I will say that 40% of delays and cancellations are due to weather. I only expected an overall delay or cancxellation due to scheduling of around 6%. Do you think i would benefit overall by dropping some flights on some routes to make all flights less than 1%?

You can go to routes-->flight delays, and get an exact breakdown of time lost to scheduling, and also number of cancellations due to scheduling. I have 88 planes, and am running 1% or 1.4% turns on almost all routes, with occasional exceptions. My punctuality is 80.9%, so 19.1% of flights delyed. 17.34% of that delay time is down to scheduling (and 60% weather), which actually comes out to around 3.3% of total flights getting a scheduling delay. I've had 32 of 3050 flights cancelled due to scheduling, right on 1%. That's pretty normal, I think. That the %chance of delay is more like the %chance of a long enough delay to result in cancellations, and the simply delayed are a bit higher.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 05:16:29 PM »
My punctuality is at 79% but I will say that 40% of delays and cancellations are due to weather. I only expected an overall delay or cancxellation due to scheduling of around 6%. Do you think i would benefit overall by dropping some flights on some routes to make all flights less than 1%?

Well, what is your percentage due to scheduling?

When you say punctuality is 79%, it means delays are 21%.

When you say 40% are delayed due to weather, it means 0.4 * 0.21 = .084 or 8.4% of your delays are due to weather.

Do you think i would benefit overall by dropping some flights on some routes to make all flights less than 1%?

Dropping a flight is not a good idea.  You could replace it with a shorter flight or see if there are any adjustments you can make in onher flights, in order to balance it the times.

Let's say you have 1 flight with 70 min turnaround and another with 40.  It is better to have both with 55 min...

mean123

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 07:17:02 AM »
Ok, well i have 810 flights a week. 4.5% cancellations, 40% due to scheduling and 42% due to weather so 1.8% of my total flights are cancelled due to scheduling. Is this normal or too high?

My Punctuality is terrible at 75.5%. Thats 37.33% of my delayed flights due to weather and 48.8% due to scheduling with an average of 8 min delay so thats around 12% of my total flights delayed  due to scheduling, I guess that is terribly high seeing as I should be targeting 90% punctuality. I am already flying quite short routes, these are the most profitable routes I can fly. My 24hr blocks are full, there is nothing more I can do with them due to time in the day or/and slot availability.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 08:23:54 AM »
Both your cancellation & delay numbers are high, but not terrible. I'd guess the planes you were unable to change thanks to the lack of slots are driving it up, and that the others are in the ok range.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.