Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Slots - How I am suppose to get any?!  (Read 3925 times)

mavi

• Former member
Re: Slots - How I am suppose to get any?!
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2012, 08:46:08 PM »
I don't know what kind of bussiness are you used to...

Go over NYSE and moan about that guy over there yelled before you and bought the stocks cheaper than you...

Also, as a bussiness owner, you are required to work as much time as you possibly can... Another bussiness owner who works less than you, will likely fail...

You wanna be in a top4 airport but playing only a few hours a day... It does not make any sense...

Wow, talk about epic fail on reading my posts.  You seem to simply assume I'm a slot whiner and then post without thinking.

"You wanna be in a top4 airport but playing only a few hours a day... It does not make any sense..."

"Also, as a bussiness owner, you are required to work as much time as you possibly can... Another bussiness owner who works less than you, will likely fail... "

I have no strong disagreement with the above quotes, other than that you seem to think they apply to me on this issue.  From a game design perspective you do need to decide how often you want people to come online (hourly/daily/etc.), but that type of game design question is a different topic.

My complaint is *solely* with the way slots are handed out.  Are you saying that slot assignment is the only thing that protects players who put in a lot of time!?!  THAT is a statement that "doesn't make sense".  There are a myriad of things you can do to better your airline that someone who does not have time cannot: 7 day scheduling; tweaking 7day scheduling once airplane replacements come in; tweaking pricing on routes; noticing that one your competitors has  tweaked prices on his/her routes; noticing that a competitors planes are currently in service and you can temporarily charge a monopoly price; etc., etc. etc.

All of those activities actually have to do something with running an airline.  Staring at a screen and hitting F5 does not.  Please tell me how on earth that this has any relation to the airline business.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 08:51:12 PM by mavi »

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2012, 08:47:01 PM »
True... but only until you are so far into the red.

I went some $18 million in red just yesterday.  Which is quite a lot of money at this stage of the game.

I knew I had nothing scheduled that needed cash (like lease renewal, C check) so I went ahead.  I got some bankruptcy warnings, but I made it back, with slots I would not oterwise have (if I was limited by available cash).

Offline ezzeqiel

• Members
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2012, 09:25:24 PM »
All of those activities actually have to do something with running an airline.  Staring at a screen and hitting F5 does not.  Please tell me how on earth that this has any relation to the airline business.

This is a game.. it's not a real world... Getting slots is the activity related to running an airline... How you get them... unless you can model a RL environment, where politics, lobbing, management, money, contacts, meetings, influences are merged, there's nothing we can discuss...

You can't actually walk thru the airport, have a meeting, pull some political strings, do some lobby and get a slot in a game... You have to press a button (or click the mouse)...

EDIT: I already suggested that leasing slots would be much better to have a better game... I just don't like when people pretend to win a game playing a few hours a day because they think they are intelligent enough... (I'm talking with the thread starter info, who based at HND... if that's not your case... then sorry)...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 09:28:31 PM by ezzeqiel »

mavi

• Former member
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2012, 10:18:41 PM »
EDIT: I already suggested that leasing slots would be much better to have a better game... I just don't like when people pretend to win a game playing a few hours a day because they think they are intelligent enough... (I'm talking with the thread starter info, who based at HND... if that's not your case... then sorry)...

As I've stated previously, I am at IAD, I have plenty of slots from my home airport, and I play the F5 game to get slots to top airports like LHR when I want to go there.  I just think it is poor game design.  Obviously Airwaysim cannot model real life.  And obviously making a good game should eclipse making a realistic game. 

janesc

• Former member
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2012, 10:57:34 PM »
" already suggested that leasing slots would be much better to have a better game... I just don't like when people pretend to win a game playing a few hours a day because they think they are intelligent enough... (I'm talking with the thread starter info, who based at HND... if that's not your case... then so

Im not quite sure where I suggested that I thought I "would win" by playing a few hours a day or expected to do so! Comments that that are not really necessary and pretty pointless really.  I think I will make this my first and last forum post on that bases as I am just a slot complainer and not really welcomed here!

This is a game.. it's not a real world... Getting slots is the activity related to running an airline... How you get them... unless you can model a RL environment, where politics, lobbing, management, money, contacts, meetings, influences are merged, there's nothing we can discuss...

You can't actually walk thru the airport, have a meeting, pull some political strings, do some lobby and get a slot in a game... You have to press a button (or click the mouse)...

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2012, 12:28:31 AM »
There is a constant tug-of-war against the two sides.  Personally, I'd rather play with the best players here and have a cut-throat type of competition.  In no way am I one of the best here.. I'd call myself a medium player at best, but I have a lot more fun when I'm competing against other airlines instead of "trying to play nice so I don't get kicked out" kind of thing.  :-\

Welcome to FCO, I like a nice, long, cut-throat competition too.  ;)

For the rest, I agree slots could be done better. Airlines flying in should be charged a lot more. Inability to purchase slots when too far into the red (though I'd want it to be easier to know what the slot cost will be, in that case) in order to slow down that initial rush (I too went to -12 million buying slots last night). Some sort of option system, where a new slot increase in an airport is spread between all airlines HQed there (airline A gets an 06xx set, 13xx set, 20xx set, airline B gets an 07xx, 14xx, 21xx, airline G gets 12xx, 19xx. Next increase, airline G gets the 08xx, 15xx, 22xx, etc Or possibly 2 per airline as options, the rest released to general pop) Each airline would have 6-8 weeks to buy the slot, then the normal 1 month to actually make use of it. That'd mean you'd need to log in at least once per 24 hours to see your new slot and buy it, and refreshing will still be of some use to get unclaimed slots. You'd also want the releases to be somewhat staggered between airlines, so airlines HQed there can't know "I got my options on May 10, therefore unused options will release June 21."

The simplest way might simply be to do the same as for the used market, but limit it further. Once per game week, you can refresh the slot data. Or maybe 7 times/week, you can refresh the data in airports you're based in, once/week you can refresh the others.

But as usual, I disagree that you MUST be online & f5ing slot pages in order to succeed. Going back to the OP, the biggest problem is choosing a strategy of very slow growth (and thus slot acquisition) in an airport with huge slot pressure. f5ing will help, especially if you want to fly into LHR or similar. It's been exacerbated this game by the higher initial startup cash, allowing much faster initial expansion than previous MTs. Think that should definitely go back to the way it was for MT6, the new mechanics don't slow things down much at all in the biggest airports, only the smaller ones. (Could even have variable startup cash, 5 million, all loaned in the top 25 airports, 7.5 million, 5 loaned in any other size 5, 10 million, 5 loaned in anything smaller than 5.) But it's not a requirement for success. I am online a lot, because I'm near a computer most of the day. But never will I sit with a slot page open hitting refresh. I *know* LHR will run out of slots very quickly, so the first flight I created went there. If I have a new plane to schedule, I might take a look at LHR. If there's slots, great, I'll grab them. If not, no worries, I'll look again later. I don't NEED to fly to LHR for my airline to succeed, I don't NEED to be constantly waiting for slots to be released in my HQ, even though it was one of the top 10 for slot% used last night (only top 25 now, we had a BK). HND & LHR are the two most extreme examples. Sydney, CDG, FRA, AMS, and a few smaller airports (such as LIN's 6 slots/hour) disappear very quickly, then there are a lot more where slots do run out, but you can usually find some if you're prepared to fly at odd hours (such as FCO).

Offline ezzeqiel

• Members
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2012, 04:17:18 AM »
Im not quite sure where I suggested that I thought I "would win" by playing a few hours a day or expected to do so! Comments that that are not really necessary and pretty pointless really.  

I'm sorry, I misunderstood you.. I actually agree with your main point...

Having an advantage because being 24/7, is not wrong (that's what I think)... pressing F5 every 10' to get a slot is boring/pointless and gamebreaking...

(also... I'm more "noob" than you -check the registration date-... I can't welcome or unwelcome you to the forum...)

Offline Kadachiman

• Members
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2012, 07:07:46 AM »
I didn't want to push it further... I was already on 1.5 weeks profit negative and all my planes on order were already scheduled... It would had take me 3weeks to actually order another plane plus two more of waiting the aircraft (assuming I'd have found one quickly in the used market)

I thought the acquisition of slots prior to having a plane to schedule the slots too was against the rules?
It is my understanding that the plane must be ordered and in the 2 week waiting delivery stage prior to purchasing slots, have I read this wrong?

brique

• Former member
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2012, 07:17:38 AM »
In the manual its mentioned that, under fair-play rules, its forbidden to buy slots if they are not intended to be used on a legitimate route :

' Each route, operation and slot must be acquired for the purpose of setting up a new and "legimate" route to some destination, and not just because you want the slots.'

So yes, you can buy slots and set up a route and not allocate it to an aircraft at that time but with the intent to allocate it when an aircraft is delivered in the near future, which seems to be 4 weeks in practice, as if you don't actually fly them by then they will be taken away from you ( but you'll get an in-game warning first).

So, it makes sense to set up the route when you know for sure the plane is on its way, as in 2 weeks for a used craft or 3 weeks for a new delivery, then you can be sure you will not lose the slots before it first flies.

But be warned : once you schedule anything onto an incoming aircraft, it starts clocking up bills : if your staff is on auto-hire, you can end up paying up to 3 weeks wages for the extra staff/pilots/FA's before it even arrives.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:27:46 AM by brique »

jneil121

• Former member
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2012, 08:45:30 AM »
Best players = Inteligent people who can sit there all day long.

Average players = GROUP1: Inteligent people who logs in a few hours a day
                         GROUP2: Dumb people who can sit there all day long.

Worse players = Dumb people who logs in a few hours a day.

Every online game you'll play will be like that, and if AWS would not be like this I would actually leave...

I find this offensive.  I can only afford to spend one or two hours max a day at Airwaysim due to my commitments in RW, ie a family and a JOB. How can I be dumb? What classifies someone as an intelligent person because they sit at a computer all day long? If this was meant to be sarcastic or meant as a joke, it certainly didnt come off as one. :-\

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2012, 09:19:23 PM »
As a sidenote, I think I will have to check the logs too. And I just hope I do not find anyone refreshing the slot pages 24/7, as that would force me to use the ye'olde banhammer...

Hopefully people did understand what I meant with this.

Would hate to issue some penalties....

Offline ckeenan

• Members
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2012, 11:06:46 PM »
I am based in Dublin and there are no slots for me to grow.
I check 3-4 times a day to see if there are slots but nothing appears so all I can do at the moment is to generate cash and buy assets as I don't have enough a/c for a second base and at this point I will not be getting any more.
Please tell me more slots will open up soon

brique

• Former member
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2012, 11:29:38 PM »
I check 3-4 times a day to see if there are slots but nothing appears so all I can do at the moment is to generate cash and buy assets as I don't have enough a/c for a second base and at this point I will not be getting any more.

Slot supply does grow, but if your competitors are getting to them first, it can feel like they don't. Its still early days yet in this game world : if you are making good profits and are able to invest in your fleet, you are doing well and shouldn't feel you are not making progress, you're doing as well as, if not better than, most.

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2012, 11:48:31 PM »

The slots will grow to more than 3x the current number.

In addition to growth there will be bankruptcies that will free up slots.

cturner9953

• Former member
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2012, 09:07:35 AM »
since the large  increase of slots on friday last week, i havnt had any increases. nearly 3 full days. anyone else?

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2012, 11:09:23 AM »
The large increase was because Sami fixed a bug, and had to give airports all of their slot increases for the next few days at once. So once those few days are up, it'll go back to regular small increases. He posted about it somewhere, but can't remember the exact thread.

cturner9953

• Former member
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2012, 05:16:23 PM »
Thought that might be the case. thanks

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.