Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Slots - How I am suppose to get any?!  (Read 3931 times)

janesc

• Former member
Slots - How I am suppose to get any?!
« on: July 28, 2012, 10:31:18 AM »
Hi guys and girls.

Just started MT7 after doing fairly well in BW so fairly new to the game.  This is also the first time I have started a new world at the start of the game. 

I have based myself in HND and I am struggling to see how someone like me is supposed to be able to grow and compete and get slots.

I started off leasing two aircraft on day one. Then things were going well and two more aircraft came along. When I went to program them I discovered all the slots of gone! (my fault lesson learnt I thought).  The game has been going nearly a week real time and I have only just been able to get slots for these aircrafts to fly routes.  I further discovered this was by sheer luck/timing as ALL the slots were gone within THREE minutes so I must have clicked on the slot page as it refreshed!

Im not sure if this is a query, question or observation but how are those people who can't spend 24/7 clicking refresh supposed to grow at these bases unless someone goes bust???? I work shifts and therefore have a decent amount of time off but still not enough it seems to be able to stand a fair chance at growth.  I have been working a bit the last week but still had plenty of time to spend on here.  I watched the departure rate grow steadily, but still no slots for me!

I know that Sami tries hard to make the game realistic, but also adds unrealistic features in the interest of fairness and good game play.  This system seems to allow only those people with the time to grab all the slots, something that would not be aloud in real life in most parts of the world (competition regulation).  It seems neither fair to those who cannot spend a huge amount of time on here. Surly a better system could be used, at least for the first game year.  In the current situation I'm in fear of ordering new aircraft as I may not be able to get enough slots to use them!

I hope this doesn't sound to much like a rant as I think the game is fantastic and well thought out.  This is the first thing I've come across that has frustrated me a little. 

Thanks

Chris

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
Re: Slots - How I am suppose to get any?!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 10:38:30 AM »
Firstly, you should have checked the slot situation when choosing the base. It is visible there..

Secondly, choosing a major intl airport was probably a very bad move at this point. Due the lack of slots (which are increasing slowly) and due to big competition (however there is a lot of demand). The airlines will start to drop out at some point opening these airports more, but still you'd need to choose some less crowded airport at this time.

janesc

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 10:51:48 AM »
Hi Sami

Hope your well, thanks for your quick reply. 

I agree with your statement regarding secondary airports and having looked at it an different domestic airport with high demand would have been better.  However, I started on day one where slots were not not an issue.  Since we are limited on used aircraft orders then it all starts with a level playing field.  Neither am I against the competition.   

It is not really the lack of slots that is my frustration. My comment is similar to those and (I think) you made in the past about people constantly refreshing the used aircraft page!  I believe you changed it to make the system more fair to those that could not constantly sit at the desk hitting refresh (on health grounds if not anything else  :laugh:). 

Firstly, you should have checked the slot situation when choosing the base. It is visible there..

Secondly, choosing a major intl airport was probably a very bad move at this point. Due the lack of slots (which are increasing slowly) and due to big competition (however there is a lot of demand). The airlines will start to drop out at some point opening these airports more, but still you'd need to choose some less crowded airport at this time.

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 11:00:50 AM »
Ah, I got the impression that you just started there...

If it was on game start, then it is a different thing. The slots increase slowly at this point and really only tactic is to "wait and see".

Perhaps some slot allocation limits "per year per airline" would be in order for the first two game years.

Offline Kadachiman

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 11:09:09 AM »
As with all the 'I have very little time compared to 24/7 gamer' queries, regardless of what the topic is - slots, used aircraft, etc, etc ...the following applies -

If you are going to chose a major airport due to the fact that the high passenger demand looks attractive to you or a certain plane because it has great range vs passengers vs fuel consumption figures, then you should expect it to also look attractive to others, and if they have more game time available than you then they will have the advantage ......can anyone explain to me why this should not be the case?

Simple solution for all these types of queries - chose an airport that suits the amount of game time that you have available.

Offline Sanabas

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 12:13:01 PM »
Even if you were online 24/7, I don't think it would have helped you too much. you've chosen a strategy of expensive planes & relatively slow growth by using 767s. You've done that in an airport with 6 competitors, some of them going for extremely aggressive, high-risk growth. And you've done it in the place that probably has the most pressure on slots after LHR. It's not surprising that HND has more or less run out of daytime slots already, and by going with 767s, you've only got a relatively small number. There are two more airlines in HND using similar strategies, and they have similar slot numbers to you.

janesc

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 12:32:45 PM »
Sami I think something along those lines would be a great idea - probably only needed for large airports though.

I think you are right Kadachiman.  It will always be impossible to completely eliminate total advantage to those that huge amount of game time and I have no problem with this.  I do have time to play, but also have a life outside of this and refuse to sit at my laptop hitting refresh when there are other AWS bits and bobs I need to do!

In BW I operated out of STN,MAN, LGW and NCL all large airports with little issue once the game was established.  

My issue is this initial distribution of slots.  However, Kadachiman, I do consider myself to play this a lot.  I have a decent amount of days off in my working pattern and can spend several hours on here several days a week.  Even on busy/work days have time to do what I need to do.  However I don't think I should "have to choose" to start up, at the start of a world, at a large airport because I am not prepared to sit here and hit refresh to grab the slots.  

I cannot do anything with my airline now as there are no slots, fine.   This would now mean I have to sit at my laptop/mobile and keeping sitting here hitting refresh until some slots appear, not healthy in my opinion.  I also have other things to do on my days off family/gym/shopping/my wife's list of housework etc.

Today for example eating breaky saw the slots grabbed them, got really lucky as they all went in 3 minutes! So now there are no more.  So what if I want to the gym/shops/eat and miss again? Tomorrow I may do some work in the garden and miss out again?  If it takes 3 minutes for the slots to all go then something is not quite right.  

I think Sami's suggestion of some sort of limit would be fair, reasonable yet still encourage competition! Perhaps a limit on each batch realised per airline at large bases?

Thanks for your inputs guys.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 12:34:07 PM »
Welcome Chris

I've found that luck comes in to it a lot when finding the opportune moment to get slots. However you still have to be online to get them so being logged in more helps. The problem is that HND is one of the most slot congested airports in the game, doubly so with the curfew. I guess the mistake was that you didn't have the "inside AWS knowledge" on such things. So hopefully with your days off shift work you could get lucky because I think it's a factor in this game which isn't given enough credit.

Regards

Alex
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

janesc

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 12:48:47 PM »
Hi Alex/Sanabas

Thanks for the welcome and your comments guys!

I think the option of starting at a secondary base is very valid and a good one.  I did however come into HND expecting a lot of competition.  Thats what makes it interesting (I like a scrap).  I hope Sanabas that the competitions high risk/rapid expansion will play to my advantage and perhaps release some slots.  I am happy with my slow steady expansion and my 76's are performing well (at the minute, when fuel is 1000+ we will see  :laugh:) ).  Fortunately I am a patient chap and happy to grow at a steady pace which seemed to work well for me in BW.   I hope that my small outfit and 76's allows me to move enough people without needing slots? is this technique often used?

At the risk of opening a can of worms I was not at all surprised to see the slots go at HND, but was surprised that they do in 3 minutes!

I would guess the other smaller airlines also cannot sit and refresh all the time and the others can perhaps??!!

I do have some days off now so will be on a bit more the next few days - but as I said dare I leave the laptop  :laugh:

Online Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 01:02:08 PM »
As a sidenote, I think I will have to check the logs too. And I just hope I do not find anyone refreshing the slot pages 24/7, as that would force me to use the ye'olde banhammer...

janesc

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 01:06:03 PM »
Well thanks Sami et al for your comments and suggestions.   I feel like I have clicked refresh enough times as it is!

Offline Kadachiman

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 01:15:19 PM »
Strategy should not just be based on the game itself but on a combination of the game and what you are prepared to put into the game.

If you are time restricted then you have chosen the incorrect strategy to suit you by choosing one of the 'Prime' bases in the game, as other players will have more luck in getting the slots as they will be online more often which will definitely increase their chances of getting the luck.
I did this last MT Game World by jumping in at JFK...soon worked out that I was not prepared to put in the game time required so went B/K, restarted at Cairns (Aus) and had a great time running a smaller airline using those pesky 50-70 seaters :-)

I am not in favour of Sami's suggestion otherwise if we keep making it easier for the masses and keep trying to make everyone a winner then the game devalues as it loses its challenge.

The real solution is simple - People need to learn to chose a strategy that suits them and not request changes to the game when their chosen strategy is wrong.

janesc

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 01:29:17 PM »
Kadachiman - I don't wish to sound rude but you may miss my point a little.  I have lots of time.  On average with my job I enjoy around 15/16 days off a month and even on work days still have plenty of time - I hope you agree that is enough time to manage a major hub/airline in AWS?

I do agree if I could spend 3 hours a week then setting up at a major hub is a bad ideal.  However the time and success in BW17 (although an easy world) shows I have the time to put in. 

On my days off I can put in a lot of time into this (and I do - my wife understands  :D) even on my work days I can to a variable extent.  However I can't see how its fair that I MUST sit here a check constantly for slots every day of the month?  You have 3 minutes in the 1440 minutes there are in a day to get slots???????? surly too extreme???

Offline LemonButt

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 02:56:46 PM »
My suggestion for newbies who are just leaving BW is to base at a secondary airport so you don't get massacred by the experienced players.  There is plenty of demand in US secondary airports such as Dallas Love, Chicago Midway, and Houston Hobby to build your first profitable airline (which will still be a challenge if your a newbie).  My 2 cents..

mavi

• Former member
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
Strategy should not just be based on the game itself but on a combination of the game and what you are prepared to put into the game.

If you are time restricted then you have chosen the incorrect strategy to suit you by choosing one of the 'Prime' bases in the game, as other players will have more luck in getting the slots as they will be online more often which will definitely increase their chances of getting the luck.
I did this last MT Game World by jumping in at JFK...soon worked out that I was not prepared to put in the game time required so went B/K, restarted at Cairns (Aus) and had a great time running a smaller airline using those pesky 50-70 seaters :-)

I am not in favour of Sami's suggestion otherwise if we keep making it easier for the masses and keep trying to make everyone a winner then the game devalues as it loses its challenge.

The real solution is simple - People need to learn to chose a strategy that suits them and not request changes to the game when their chosen strategy is wrong.

I strongly disagree with your sentiment.  Being online 24/7 shouldn't give you an advantage over your competitors because you get slots and they don't.  It should give you an advantage because you are more nimble then they are and can better respond to challenges such as fare wars, etc.  If anything the current way slots are allocated devalues the game as it makes it less about sound strategy and more about hitting refresh on the slot screen.  Once you have the slots, you certainly need to be able to run a profitable airline, but you don't need to have as good a strategy as others as your slot hogging limits the amount of new competition you can face. 

I personally would prefer to see some sort of bidding system for slot-constrained airports and times rather than an artificial max no. slots/month at the start of the game.

Offline ezzeqiel

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 04:36:56 PM »
Dude, you picked the top4 airport...

Obviously you have to be a pro to play there...  If this were a "killing each other" game, you would be dead weeks ago...

You should avoid pro areas if you can't handle it....

Absolutis

• Former member
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 04:48:18 PM »
My suggestion for newbies who are just leaving BW is to base at a secondary airport so you don't get massacred by the experienced players.  There is plenty of demand in US secondary airports such as Dallas Love, Chicago Midway, and Houston Hobby to build your first profitable airline (which will still be a challenge if your a newbie).  My 2 cents..

+1... I'm a relative newbie and based at MRS (Marseille, because of no competition) and running a quite succesful airline with 8 DHC-8s.
I suggest basing into a smaller airport with low/no other airlines to other newbies.

Offline Kadachiman

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 04:49:04 PM »
Mavi....you missed the point a bit.
I did not say that you should be online 24/7 as that is the persons choice.

What I did say is that if you chose a strategy that includes picking a top 4 airport to base yourself at and it also happens to have one of the best players in the game there (as all top airports have) then your strategy should also include the fact that you have sufficient time to spend online to ensure that your selected strategy works...if not...then you chose the wrong strategy.

Do you think a football team takes exactly the same game play into each game and doesn't study their opponents strengths and weaknesses and devise a game day strategy based on this?

Too many people on here chose an incorrect strategy for them and then complain that the game needs changing instead of working with the cards dealt to you.

Also...can you explain to me why a person that spends more time online (their choice) should not have an advantage?
Example - I have read all the posts on the trail MT game that was played to try to pick up some tips on how to approach MT7 ...yet I see some now post complaints that if they read the posts they would have avoided the issue they complained about.
In my books someone who is prepared to do more work should earn more reward.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 04:58:46 PM by Kadachiman »

brique

• Former member
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 05:02:09 PM »
Anyone else see the irony in this : how often is 'real life' appealed to as reason to change some aspect of the game and here we have an aspect which is as 'real life' as it gets : slots are gold dust, especially at major airports : just google on the subject and BA's stranglehold on slots at LHR and the current argy-bargy between the airlines concerning the now-taken-over BMI's slots there.

If you are going to base at a major airport and tap into all those fat routes, then slots, thats getting the right ones or just any ones, and being able to pay the price for them, is a key part of the strategy required to succeed there.

And if the early strategy required is to grab them while they are there to be taken, and later, by putting in the hours, grabbing any that are released due to BK's or growth ; well, that's the strategy required too.

And if you cant manage that strategy, due to time or other constraints, well that's kinda tough but that's how it is.

Offline ezzeqiel

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 05:03:06 PM »
I did not say that you should be online 24/7 as that is the persons choice.

I know several VERY popular games where each account is actually handled by 2-6 people in order to literally play 24/7...

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.