Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Fleet commonality query  (Read 3838 times)

miln0039

• Former member
Fleet commonality query
« on: July 17, 2012, 10:07:09 PM »

Hi all,

First off great game, I'm really enjoying the demo and will be going in for real just as soon as I've learned the ropes a little more.

Conscious it's worth keeping fleet commonality, and currently I am doing so by employing 2 Embraer E-170LRs to fly my MSP-ORD; MSP-DEN routes. However, I keep thinking about speculating to accumulate and getting a larger aircraft in the fleet so I can get above the 680 mile range (based on 10m*PAX ratio). Specifically I'd like to pick up the Embraer E-190/195. I note these use the same CF34 series of engine but in a 10e range rather than the 8e range. I know the E190/195 will be fine in terms of fleet commonality for most checks, but will the engine maintenance double if I vary into a different part of the CF34 engine range?

Help would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Alex

Belinik

• Former member
Re: Fleet commonality query
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 10:26:50 PM »
I would not pass 2 type, in fact my first purchase was a CRJ then a 737-600 in the demo game, yes you will hit a higher cost but in demo you do not really get competition so I find it absolutely no problem supporting 2 fleet type and 3 different engine.

But I would not recommend you to do it in a full game tho.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:28:54 PM by Belinik »

miln0039

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 10:34:10 PM »
I would not pass 2 type, in fact my first purchase was a CRJ then a 737-600 in the demo game, yes you will hit a higher cost but in demo you do not really get competition so I find it absolutely no problem supporting 2 fleet type and 3 different engine.

But I would not recommend you to do it in a full game tho.

I'm struggling to turn a profit already, albeit it's early days so keeping types the same is just a good habit to get into. I know the fuselage of the 170 and larger 190 are in the same maintenance pool - just want to know about the engines - will be helpful for future reference too!

Now to try and get a consistent load factor on some of these routes!! Day to day variances of 35% are common in early days one assumes?

Belinik

• Former member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 10:51:05 PM »
did you invest into company image and route image?

also did you open multiple same route that serve in the same day?(it also happened to me that when I start 2 route on the same new route with 0 competition both got stuck at 35% til RI improve) is there any competition on the route already? you need time to build up your RI before the LF increase.

if the engine is in the same series then the cost will not go up(need someone older to verify)

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 11:03:21 PM »
I see you are quite aware of some of the basic rules. Another one is patience. Itīs far too early to draw conclusions because establishing new routes takes game month to evaluate. Load factors will slowly rise overall but never stay really steady.
Different engine models wonīt do any harm to costs, just keep it within the fleet family.
Donīt forget marketing. Spend a little on general campaign, so that company image rises.Route image marketing not advisable in the beginning,route image will rise as you fly route regularly.

Greetings
Christian

miln0039

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 08:24:25 AM »
did you invest into company image and route image?

also did you open multiple same route that serve in the same day?(it also happened to me that when I start 2 route on the same new route with 0 competition both got stuck at 35% til RI improve) is there any competition on the route already? you need time to build up your RI before the LF increase.

if the engine is in the same series then the cost will not go up(need someone older to verify)

Hi - yes service MSP-ORD 4 times per day (i.e. 8 flights) and MSP-DEN 3 times per day (6 flights).

Seem to be breaking the back on the load factors now and my average has already risen to 78%. Roughly at a breakeven point so time to cut back on the company image marketing a little (I'm spending A LOT - $120k per week) so that I can spin some more cash off and get a new aircraft in for an additional route :)

miln0039

• Former member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 08:25:40 AM »
I see you are quite aware of some of the basic rules. Another one is patience. Itīs far too early to draw conclusions because establishing new routes takes game month to evaluate. Load factors will slowly rise overall but never stay really steady.
Different engine models wonīt do any harm to costs, just keep it within the fleet family.
Donīt forget marketing. Spend a little on general campaign, so that company image rises.Route image marketing not advisable in the beginning,route image will rise as you fly route regularly.

Greetings
Christian

Christian,

Thanks for the reply. As in my post above, it appears patience is helping and I am roughly at break even now!

Thanks for the tips on engine variants, I will try and keep within the same series of engine and aircraft though and try to work on some economies of scale.

Cheers,
Alex

miln0039

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 12:56:07 PM »
Oh - and another quick query (sorry for the onslaught of questions  :-[)

My MSP-ORD route with 68PAX is making per the route summary c.$8-10k per round trip - but my MSP-DEN route gets nowhere near this in spite of similar passenger demand. I am thinking about abandoning the 3 daily round trips to DEN and putting my second aircraft on the ORD route with a long overnight layover in ORD so it's always going the other way.

Will this keep overheads tighter? And was I not pricing DEN high enough perhaps? Seems the shorter routes are the best marigns out there?

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 01:30:48 PM »
Itīs simple math that shorter routes get a higher margin.
But then again, regarding your starting dates, you just played for one real-life day ! There is no way to tell how route strategies will turn out.
Easy rule is to serve one destination as often as possible, regarding the oversupply and departure time rules.
And if you want people from outside beginner world to help you, you have to be more specific about data. We outsiders canīt have a look over demand,supply,competition and flight data.
But then again, remember PATIENCE. One side of the entertainment of this game is finding out yourself. What use is it if you just act as advised ? Donīt be afraid to prove things for yourself and find out after time.Frequent bankruptcies are common along beginners and even with some experienced players trying something new. This game is intended to entertain you over years. If itīs too easy, youīll get bored and will lose interest soon.
Greetings
Christian

miln0039

• Former member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 02:14:08 PM »
Fair comment exchllbg.

Just trying to get the numpty errors over and done with now, that's all.

exchlbg

• Former member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 03:22:01 PM »
I think the way you make plans already shows you will have a success in this game, because it puts you ahead of others, who donīt even like to read through FAQīs and manuals and just go for it. There are heaps of mistakes to make ahead of you so take it easy for a while...

Greetings
Christian

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.