Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Slot maximization at 'out' airports.  (Read 525 times)

Offline swiftus27

• Members
Slot maximization at 'out' airports.
« on: June 25, 2012, 05:40:21 PM »
Moved from another thread.

Concerning the number of slots you get at long haul destinations....

My algorithm for this:

X = 115% of weekly demand
Y = Average carrying capacity of largest XXX # of planes of largest class available
Z = Number of slots you get at the destination airport

Z = X / Y  

For instance, 3000 people want to fly from LAX to NRT daily.
So X = 7(3000 x 1.15)= 24150
Let's just assume Y = 400 (just an educated guess)
Z = 24150/400
Z= 60.375... rounded to nearest 7 and you got 63.
This means you can fly this route 9 times per day.  

EDIT:  Another example.....  
EWR to LHR has 3280 demand... Same Y assumption...  Z = 66.01 (again rounds to 63)
Flying 9x 752s at ~200pax and you can move 1800 per day on average.  That's 1480 below demand.

Rules and reasons I like this:
With this you get a total number of slots to use as you see fit.    (Blow all 6 on Wednesday for all I care)
You do NOT lose slots you've already purchased.   (Wouldn't be fair)
Slots will grow as demand grows but having older/smaller planes will become a serious handicap.   (Forces players to actually play)
The expectation is that you use larger planes as they become available.    (Very realistic, tell me a large airport permitting the uber 752 pwnership strat)
Slots should be available in multiples of 7 (allowing 7 day scheduling)
Keep the 'too-close of flights' penalty alive.   No need to unwrite that code.  

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
Re: Slot maximization at 'out' airports.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 07:02:12 PM »
I see 2 problems:

1. I am not sure where Y comes from.  You may have 3200 demand on CDG-LHR, but you don't really want to be flying that with a 400 pax aircraft.  I think Y should depend on distance

2. It does not solve the frequency issue.  I would be happy to fly 9x day 757 from EWR to LHR, get half the passengers, at 90% LF.  I am not sure the other guy flying from LHR to EWR in a 9x day 400 pax 777, getting the other half of passengers with 45% LF

The proposal in this thread:
http://www.airwaysim.com/forum/index.php/topic,38007.0.html

figures out your Y (based on distance) and does not give you frequency benefit if your aircraft capacity is less than Y.

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 08:15:12 PM »

Concerning the number of slots you get at long haul destinations....

For #2, sure, he can fly that all day to his heart's content... he can NOT get 20x 752s and get 150% of demand.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 08:21:31 PM by swiftus27 »

Offline JumboShrimp

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 08:34:37 PM »

For #2, sure, he can fly that all day to his heart's content... he can NOT get 20x 752s and get 150% of demand.

But 777 would still be screwed.

brique

• Former member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 08:59:58 PM »

Certain planes will be screwed regardless, until cargo and connectivity gets modelled. Trying to twist and bend the current px model to make it otherwise and compensate for the loss of the those elements (which in RL make planes like the 777 economically viable) will just distort the px model for every other a/c type, and without regard for if they are being operated in a fashion as close to RL as AWS can get.

Cargo will carry its own issues : e.g like a certain other sim which has over 2000 An-225's currently flying...  :o

It has to be fixed, yes, but let's be careful not break too many other things in the process : or, a few months after, we'll have the same debate about another a/c type that now doesn't work like what it should...

Offline swiftus27

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 09:27:27 PM »

I disagree completely.
How a player would play a MT game like this:

Start with the usual used assortment....
Lease 772s for 7 years
Replace with purchased Boeing/Airbus of your choice.

People are lazy when it comes to transferring to a new fleet.  Alot of the 772 gripe is that people dont want to have to convert their airline 3x during a game. 

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.