Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Fuel Prices Ruining the Game?  (Read 1743 times)

737Capt

• Former member
Fuel Prices Ruining the Game?
« on: May 29, 2012, 09:40:20 PM »
Anyone else feel like these fuel prices are out of hand and ruining an otherwise fun game?  I know Sami introduced this new fuel hedging feature but reality is fuel hedging was not even done by airlines in the 80's.  I do not see any benefit to adding this feature.  Why ruin an otherwise good game to let everyone play with a new feature that wasn't even used?  Ruins the game in my opinion.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
Re: Fuel Prices Ruining the Game?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 09:47:14 PM »
$200 was pretty standard for the 1980s game worlds, going by the last DOTM. It went higher in that one, I remember it being somewhat harder than usual, but still some people struggled with the fuel price. If anything hedging would have been welcomed, would have lowered my fuel bill.
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

juanchopancho

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 10:04:11 PM »
Southwest were the experts at fuel hedging, when did they start? 90s?

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 10:41:17 PM »
Fuel hedging has a place in any world that has random fuel pricing.  For the exact same reasons it exists in the real-world -- predictability.

But, really, we're talking about 2 separate things.  You say "fuel prices are out of hand", but then talk about fuel hedging.  They're separate topics altogether.

The current fuel pricing isn't out of line with other DOTM games.  All hedging does is make it so that, on a purely random guess since there's zero 'clues' as to what pricing is going to do, a player can make a gamble as to whether they think the price is going to go higher or lower.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:43:35 PM by Sigma »

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 10:47:34 PM »
Added Fuel hedging feature and game world fuel price developments have no correlation whatsoever.... The fuel prices would be exactly the same without it.

737Capt

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 11:02:41 PM »
I thought that fuel prices were being manipulated so as to feature the benefits of a fuel hedging hedging program.  Guess I was wrong about that.    ;D

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 11:03:31 PM »
I thought that fuel prices were being manipulated so as to feature the benefits of a fuel hedging hedging program.  Guess I was wrong about that.    ;D

No, I can see why you thought that. Just think of it as an advantage that wasn't there before  :)
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 11:11:43 PM »

I can see that.  But, really, hedging by its very nature is equally likely to screw you as it is help you.

Case in point -- I locked in my fuel price last February at the peak.  Thought it was gonna go higher and I was wrong.  I overpaid all year long.  I finally was coming out ahead for a few weeks only to have my hedge expire right when fuel hits record highs.

If I'd noticed the "extend hedge" button on the side earlier than about 30 minutes ago, I'd have done that several game-weeks ago.

Offline lunchbox

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 12:09:15 AM »
Extend Hedge????  I thought you could only renew hedge with the new fuel price/fees???

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 12:38:41 AM »
Extend Hedge????  I thought you could only renew hedge with the new fuel price/fees???

Yeah, that's what I meant.  "Extend" was a poor choice of words.

Offline EsquireFlyer

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 01:15:53 AM »
Yeah, that's what I meant.  "Extend" was a poor choice of words.

Translation: "Oops, I accidentally revealed the secret feature that mods and admins have, to extend fuel hedges at the old prices!"  ;)

Offline Sigma

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 01:24:37 AM »
Translation: "Oops, I accidentally revealed the secret feature that mods and admins have, to extend fuel hedges at the old prices!"  ;)

Ha!  I wish.  I was doing great.  Started 18 months after game-start at a relatively large airport (MSP) with 3 competitors.  In an RL week, took care of two of them and making a healthy profit.  But in about 2 weeks things won't be so hot for me anymore what with a fuel bill set to rise about 35%.

My remaining competitor has a big backlog of efficient 737s coming onboard while I'm running good-but-thirstier Tridents.

Now those 2 guys who just had the cajones to put the 707 back into production.  I bet they're kicking themselves right now. 26,000lbs/hr.   SLUUUUUUURRRRRRPPPP.

JDM

• Former member
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 01:52:47 PM »

My remaining competitor has a big backlog of efficient 737s coming onboard while I'm running good-but-thirstier Tridents.

That's me!  ::)

Still waiting for you to declare bankruptcy but it seems you're generating profits again and again... >:(
Shame!

And just curiosity, do you have any advantage on the game by being moderator? That wouldn't be fair...

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 02:45:32 PM »
do you have any advantage on the game by being moderator?

No.

(And neither do I if/when I play occasionally..)

Offline ZombieSlayer

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 06:18:06 PM »
IIRC, fuel at the beginning of DOTM3 was $186 and went north to the $250 range rather quickly before settling in the mid $100 range for the better part of the 80's and 90's. IRL, there was a spike in the late 70's/early 80's when oil prices more than doubled due to the Iran/Iraq war and then settled back to the pre war levels by 1985/86. There was also a small spike during the Gulf war after Iraq invaded Kuwait. For the most part, though, fuel right now is the most expensive it will get, adjusted for inflation, for the duration of the game world.

Don
Co-Founder Elite Worldwide Alliance
CEO PacAir
Designated "Tier 1 Opponent"

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 07:08:30 PM »
It's worth noting that loan interest rates are now approaching 20%, that's an indicator that we are currently in a serious global economic crisis. I've been unprofitable for two months since I got hit with millions of dollars in C-Checks right as this was getting started but I'm still afloat. I've been keeping a large cash reserve and in the worst case scenario, I have a huge line of credit available. And I exclusively run "superior" Soviet planes. (ie gas guzzlers)

Offline EsquireFlyer

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 07:14:32 PM »
It's worth noting that loan interest rates are now approaching 20%, that's an indicator that we are currently in a serious global economic crisis. I've been unprofitable for two months since I got hit with millions of dollars in C-Checks right as this was getting started but I'm still afloat. I've been keeping a large cash reserve and in the worst case scenario, I have a huge line of credit available. And I exclusively run "superior" Soviet planes. (ie gas guzzlers)

If your cash reserves dwindle, does the bank slash your credit limit as well?

Offline Troxartas86

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 07:24:03 PM »
I own plenty of planes I can leverage.

Offline [SC] - King Kong

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 08:20:29 PM »
I'm glad my dc8 leases expire soon. i don't want to have 'm anymore lol.

Either have less routes but make more profit than flying a lot of ppl around the world with a loss

Offline EsquireFlyer

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 02:24:24 AM »
<3 fuel hedging.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.