Edit account
» Achievements
» Logout
Game Credits
Credit balance: 0 Cr
Buy credits
» Credit history
» Credits FAQ

Author Topic: Help me avoid BK?  (Read 1314 times)

Offline EsquireFlyer

• Members
Help me avoid BK?
« on: May 23, 2012, 05:26:27 PM »
Hi everyone..

I started this game late, and currently have four 707-420s as well as one F28 (was supposed to be two but couldn't find a second).
Despite the high fuel prices (I'm hedged at 155 at the moment vs. 166, and have an 8% off contract for $56k/month) I have been able to stabilize my profits at around $140k/week.

But I have a C check coming in 2 weeks! Because the only four 420s that were available when I joined had C-checks ranging from 5 months to 10 months out, and I bought them all. And the 5 month one is coming.

I think that the $600k price of the C check, combined with the loss of the revenue from that plane, will BK me. Currently, my cash on hand is slightly negative (-$200K) although I have net profits of $140k/week, so my cash should be positive within 2 weeks--but I won't have the $600K needed for the C check.

Is there anything I can do to avoid BK at this point? Should I fire the people staffed on that plane while it is in C check?
Should I just let the plane sit unused until I have the $600k cash for a C check?

Or should I just reset and start again?
I have been in game for about 5 game months now, and have a reasonably good deal on fuel, and am finally getting near-full load factors on my planes. But I can't afford the C check, as far as I can tell.

Thanks!

Offline Emaw Jones

• Members
Re: Help me avoid BK?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 06:00:51 PM »
Stick it out would be my suggestion, but than - I'm 5 mil in the hole!!!

My Pax is going up and I just did a 3% faire increase to see if I can suck up some of the cost.  The C checks will burn cash, so lets just see what happens.

mar88

• Former member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 06:03:26 PM »
If you haven't reset your ticket prices to default I would start there.

This may not help but just looking at your routes I would drop the trans-Atlantic routes and try to fly domestically with the 707s. Your Paris - Orly route only has 100 pax demand on a route that is over 2900NM long while offering 169 seats.  :-\ I would highly suggest twice daily flights to KSEA and/or 4x daily flights to KSFO. The routes are shorter (less fuel) and there is decent Business class demand. What is your configuration on the 707s?

I wouldn't fire anyone because of the damage you would take to your CI.  :)

What are your lease lengths also on the 707s?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 06:07:57 PM by mar88 »

Offline EsquireFlyer

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 06:08:46 PM »
Thanks for the responses so far!

If you haven't reset your ticket prices to default I would start there.

Yup, I do this monthly.

This may not help but just looking at your routes I would drop the trans-Atlantic routes and try to fly domestically with the 707s. Your Paris - Orly route only has 100 pax demand on a route that is over 2900NM long while offering 169 seats.  :-\ I would highly suggest twice daily flights to KSEA and/or 4x daily flights to KSFO. The routes are shorter (less fuel) and there is decent Business class demand. What is your configuration on the 707s?

My 707s are mostly configged 3/10/149, except for one that is 180Y (couldnt afford F and C install).
The F and C cabins typically run 50% full.

The Paris Orly roundtrip actually earns me an average of $20,000 in profits each day (after deducting fuel and landing fees, but before personnel costs and maintenance). Based on that, would you still drop the route? Can I actually earn more than that flying to SEA or SFO? (SEA and SFO have competition also, whereas Orly is a monopoly route.)

I wouldn't fire anyone because of the damage you would take to your CI.  :)
Yeah I really don't want to fire either due to the CI hit. But I am thinking about it, because if the alternative is BK/reset, a CI hit is better than a total BK  ;D

Offline EsquireFlyer

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 06:12:33 PM »
Only about 1 year left on the 707 leases. They all expire in July 1980..I was hoping to have L1011s or DC-10s by then, but am having a hard time finding any L1011s used, and can't afford new DC-10s.

mar88

• Former member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 06:17:35 PM »
It is a risk but I probably would still give it a shot because while there is competition it also means less fuel used, plus you can fly those routes more than once a day making better use of your advert money. The biggest risk is the initial route image loss and the fact that you would probably take a loss originally on the route. If you really want a monopoly on a route (something that will always eventually go away  :( ), you could look at KPDX, KSJC, and KOAK, shorter routes than the Atlantic routes with more demand.

Offline EsquireFlyer

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 06:25:11 PM »
Hmm OK, thanks. Those may be better routes (although previously when I flew domestic, it seems the ticket prices are lower per the same distance? is that right?).

There is no quick way to get the $600K to pay for the C check and keep the plane flying though, right?
And you have to pay for C checks with cash up front, not by going into the red, right? Or can you do it by going into the red.

mar88

• Former member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 06:31:33 PM »
The ticket prices on those routes will be lower but the fuel costs will be too. (easily noticed with 707s)

There is no quick way to get cash, best idea I have is to restructure some routes.  :-\

If the checks are set to be performed automatic then they should still be processed even if you are in the red. (learned that once by holding onto a DC-8 in the last DoTM and removing it from routes to try to save an airline but forgot to turn off C-checks. oops  :-[ )

Offline Sami

• Administrator
  • Members
    • AirwaySim - Are you the next Richard Branson?
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 06:41:01 PM »
Did you have a Mentor already?

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 06:42:22 PM »

ME!  ;D

I've announced my unavailability until next Monday to my friend EsquireFlyer already.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 06:51:48 PM by alexgv1 »
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline EsquireFlyer

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 06:45:27 PM »

Yes. alexgv1 has been helping me greatly, and his help is the main reason I have even survived long enough to see a C check! But he is busy with real life this week. (LOL don't you hate it when real life cuts into your game time?)

mar88

• Former member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 07:06:42 PM »
Well if Alex is ever unavailable feel free to shoot me a message, although Alex is the better player.

Offline alexgv1

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 07:08:10 PM »
Well if Alex is ever unavailable feel free to shoot me a message.

Thanks for offering to help my mentee buddy, much appreciated.

Mar88 is a really strong player I completely back the advice he will give you if you get in touch :)
CEO of South Where Airlines (SWA|WH)

Offline EsquireFlyer

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 07:16:53 PM »
Thanks, mar!!

If C checks can be auto-done in the red, then I am not as close to BK as I thought, since i still make (small) weekly profits and just don't have cash on hand.

If I drop Orly and add one of the California routes, will I see a short-term increase or decrease in income? I think to cover the C check cost, I need to keep my short-term income up (is that right?). And then maybe I should add the Calif. routes as my next route, rather than dropping Orly now? What do you think?

Offline mtnlion

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 07:30:45 PM »
You've got some good advice already, but basically you should always try to start with average size planes like B737, Trident, DC9 etc. Build a fleet of at least 4-10 of one type and schedule them to fly 3-5 flights every day. If you want to go for B707s or DC8s you would need a route with high demand and between 2700-3400nm so that one plane can fly it daily.

But yeah, if I were you I'd get rid of the other fleet type (F28) because if there's less than 4-6 of the second fleet type they aren't making any money because of the fleet commonality costs. I'd also invest on marketing and CI because you have competitors and old airplanes.

mar88

• Former member
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 07:50:46 PM »
It I think rescheduling domestically as much as possible would be best simply for range and fuel considerations as well as pax demand. Personally I would choose a route with 300 pax and a competitor over a route with 100 pax and no competitor simply because I can fly the other route more than once and it allows me the option of using multiple flights per day on one route. I agree with mtnlion that the F.28 is probably hurting your commonality costs with just one aircraft and I would highly recommend flying it on one route multiple times a day rather than a bunch of different routes.

I've located an airport you can use as a base if you end up having to BK here. Not a giant airport but it has good options for learning the game and getting used to playing it.

Offline EsquireFlyer

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 08:00:18 PM »
Yeah I want to drop the F28 fleet also. But the termination cost is quite high (a few hundred K), and currently the F28 seems to be breaking even (i.e. making a positive profit after fuel/staff, but before the "common" admin costs, and the admin costs then wipe out 90% of the profit). In that situation, should I keep the F28 running, or drop it and take the hit?

mar88

• Former member
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
How much are the daily profits on the routes, the monthly lease cost, and the commonality costs for the airframe and the engines?

Offline EsquireFlyer

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 08:27:55 PM »
How much are the daily profits on the routes, the monthly lease cost, and the commonality costs for the airframe and the engines?

The daily profits are:

wait lol I'm not posting that in public.

I will send you a PM!

mar88

• Former member
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 08:44:58 PM »
Oops, got too focused on numbers and stopped thinking about competition.

WARNING! This website is not compatible with the old version of Internet Explorer you are using.

If you are using the latest version please turn OFF the compatibility mode.